Hp Officejet J4550

Posted:

Ink, printer quality, scanner not working, hp compatible catridges not working

4.8
Hewlet-Packard (HP)
Oregon
I had an HP all in one printer that served me well for 4 years until I wore the belt out. I thought it was a good enough product to buy another HP. I ended up buying an HP Officejet J 4550. I've had it for nearly 6 months. It has been the most disappointing piece of crap I've purchased.

I installed the driver that operates it. When I tried to use the scanner; it did not work. When I tried to use the fax, it did not work. I did manage to get it to print and copy, but the quality is sub-standard. Even when I tell it to print "Best" quality, it leaves lines throughout the photos. The text it prints gets cut off and you have to use certain fonts to get it to work properly. The blacks are not black enough. The ink runs out right away. I've spent a fortune in printer ink and when you re-fill the cartridges; it doesn't work. I tried to use the bigger black ink cartridge that is suppose to be compatible. 901 cartridges work. When I put in the 901XL HP printer ink, my computer through the HP program prompts me that it is not compatible and will not print so I'm out 30.00 there. I'm using the exact cartridge it tells me I should, but tells me it is incorrect. I haven't tried to talk to any tech support at HP, but have been reading people's complaints on-line. I'm filing a complaint to warn others. I'm feeling frustrated and ripped off.

The first HP all in one printer I had worked great until I wore out the belt. I did everything on it and the quality was good...not perfect...but decent. However, after this second one, I will be avoiding HP altogether.
Complaint comments Comments (15)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

A  15th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I own this printer and have the identical complaints. I just returned from a trip, plugged in my lap top, and the blasted printer says it has an incompatible cartridge. It's the same cartridge that worked when I left. The cartridge lasts less than a week with really, minimal usage. Don't buy it. After reading the same complaints from other people, I'm taking it back tomorrow.
A  20th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
The same happened to me. After using it for a while I had to refill my black cartridge. I've bought XL thinking it would be better but after 3 or 4 days of normal work suddenly appeared message about "incompadible print cartringe(s): [Tri-Color]". So my old (regular) cartridge is not good anymore (as it's said on printer display). & its almost full with ink!!! I've tried to clean cartridge surface & inside of printer but it worked just for a couple days & then again the same story. I'm so disappointed!!! I'd not recommend this AIO HP J4550 to anybody!!! Unfortunately I can't return it back but won't trust HP as I used to.
A  30th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
The HP J 4550 was attractive and the HP reputation like a rock. But I had a lengthy and frustrating experience in getting its HP Solution Center installed with several HP phone calls. I continue to get update notices from HP but every time I have allowed the update it resulted in having to uninstall and reinstall the HP Solution Center software...a THREE HOUR PROCESS on each computer on my network.

Now I find that 901 ink cartridges run out very fast and are really hard to find. Refilling attempts failed and an OEM 901XL cartridge produced few additional copies. Rumors are that the cartridges have circuitry that prevents them from being refilled. Great American companies have gone down the tubes because of fiascos like this one. Wake up, HP!
A  27th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same complaints about ink, etc. And here I thought I was getting such a deal. What did I expect for $39?
A  26th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too have the same problems with this HP model. HP customer service pretends they are not aware of any problem with this model... I will never buy an HP product again!
A  29th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I had the printer for two months now and have the same complaints as all the others including false paper jam issues, poor alignment, and no color printing. HP service wants to send another unit. waist of time bad after bad. HP products have been very good in the past. Will not trust them now.
A  30th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I agree, this is one piece of all in one crap by HP.
A  2nd of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I own this model, first time I tried to use for scanner, it is not working.
A  4th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought this about a year ago and only use it occasionally at home. Once it just stopped making copies, for no reason. It started working again, inexplicably, but then ran out of ink pretty quickly. I replaced the cartiridge, it was working OK for about (I kid you not) 30 copies, and then bam -- I also got the "incompatible cartridge [Tri-Color]" error also. The instruction manul is also useless. My husband said we really bought a piece of garbage and I thought he was being impatient but reading all the comments here and after this latest incident, looks like I'll need to trash this and go buy a decent copier.
A  4th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I thought this printer was a "bargain" at Cosco when I bought it. Now I know why it was so inexpensive - it's a piece of junk. I've had nothing but problems with this printer. It uses ink like no other printer I've ever owned; it seems all I do is buy ink for this hunk of junk.
A  18th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
This printer is trash. I bought it from Costco last January. I used it very occasionally at place I could carry it because of its light weight. I used only the copying function. The paper started jamming and the colors and text were not coming out right.
A  14th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Mine keeps giving me the tri color cartridge is out of ink when I'm positive it is not. I even got it to work again after trying about 100 things (reloading the software included). Then, a short time later it's giving me the same message. HP rep. said "too bad I didn't buy the extended warranty because then he could send me another one. (As if I'd ever want another one of these ###!! things).
A  15th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Guess what HP, I don't need the extended warranty, because I'm under 90 days and this
POS is going back to Costco! I'm ashamed to admit I spent like $79, but even if was $39
how much is your time and frustration worth? Not worth it
Do not buy it
A  20th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I hate the new J4550 printer. It costs me a fortune to use it-- it is ALWAYS out of ink, and the only ink that you can buy for it is the HP ink itself! I, like the original complaint states, had an HP combination scanner, printer, and fax for years that I really LOVED! (Up until it died, that is-- but it gave me many years of service).
I am swearing off HP printers also. I print a LOT of pages because we use it for homeschooling, and I cannot afford to use a printer that costs me as much as using a photocopier at the library! Seriously! Kodak has been advertising that they are making printers for higher volume printing with less cost per cartridge. It's time to check them out I think. HP has plenty of my money already.
A  24th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same complaints, unfortunately I waited until long past my warranty expiration. I will not buy HP again. Tried several new cartridges, never printed correctly. Wish I had paid more attention to reviews before I purchased.. Learn the hard way I suppose...

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree

Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company Logo Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company
Customer Care Service