Home Depot, Roofing / roof ripoff

1 Southampton, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 631-478-6101

I had my roof installed by Home Depot in 2007. The sales person at Home Depot offered me several packages to choose from and I selected the higher priced package because it came with a 'Lifetime Peace of Mind' guarantee. The sales Rep also guaranteed if there were any damages inside my home due to any leaks from their roof, that they were fully insured and would be responsible. The roof began leaking in 2008, again Sept 2009. They came to 'fix' these leaks. In April 2010 the leaks worsened causing a great deal of damage to my home. Home Depot sent their 'field team' to investigate the issue, and this is when they discovered the installation was done incorrectly. Their installers used aluminum and copper around the skylights causing a chemical reaction, deteriorating the frames of the skylights, causing $86, 000 of damages. It has been 3 months of dealing with Home Depots insurance company, Sedgwick, and the rep there avoids my calls, and my attorney’s calls. After NUMEROUS attempts to reach the rep, he claimed he lost the estimates provided by both a private adjuster, and my General Contractor. Meanwhile, The reps adjuster never provided any estimate. An obvious and total run around and stall tactic.
Now Sedgwick Claims the issue is being investigated, this was the last we heard from him and that was November 18th. No Investigator has contacted us and it has been 4 weeks. This is absolutely disgusting.
Though Home Depot admitted their error caused these damages, their insurance company refuses to be cooperative, and clearly dragging out my claim, making a bad situation severe. Home Depots ‘lifetime Peace of Mind guarantee" is an absolute scam. After three years of the installation of my roof, they are ignoring my phone calls. I am left with a $27, 000 roof that leaks, and a house that is inhabitable It has been a homeowners NIGHTMARE. I am continuing to getting justice! Home owners be very aware.

Ca

Comments

• Ke
      27th of Dec, 2011

We have a similar issue with our roof. Purchased and installed in the Fall of 2010. We were very concerned about water and ice backup due to the Winters we have in Mass. They hand wrote it down on the contract, that it was guaranteed not to leak. Two months after the install came snow and ice, water in the house... After 20 years of no problem, we ran into Home Depot... Now in the Fall of 2011 we just rec'd a letter from Sedgwick that there appears to be no exposure to Home Depot... This after they sent the claim onto the contractors insurance company.

We use to spend about 10-15 thousand a year at Home Depot... Were done with them, the lawyers can handle it from here on in..

And we'll be buying from the local lumber and hardware companies from now on...