Home Depot / customer no service

1 Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:

This month I went online to pay my Home Depot credit card bill. My modem had crashed on May 1st and they didn't get me a new out until May 6, 2009. Therefore I was late paying my bill.

When I went online to view my current bill, I noticed that there was a late fee of $39.00. The bill was due on May 31, 2009 and was late as of May 05, 2009. I thought this was a bit steep for a late charge.

Then I happened to notice that the interest rate had risen 12%. I had not received any notice of the rate increase. So I called customer service for Home Depot listed on the website.

I spoke to a young female and asked her to explain the steep late fee. She stated that since the account was past due by 2 days the late fee was assessed. I then asked her to check and see if the interest rate increase was correct. She stated that it was. I asked her why the rate increase and she stated "Because you were late on your payment".

I asked to speak to her supervisor. After about 5 minutes a male supervisor came to the phone and I explained the situation to him. I told him that I did not get a paper bill anymore and paid my bill online and because of the modem failure I could not get on the Internet to pay my bill.

The supervisor said "Well you were late in your payment and it is written in the credit card contract that they can go up on the interest rate if you are late". I asked him to look on my account and to see how many times I have been late with my payment. He stated, rather sheepishly, "I can only look back 12 months and you have not been late before. I can't see any further back". I told him I had had the card for 2 years and had never been late before and I could not believe they would increase the interest rate that much and charge a $40.00 late fee. He essentially said that that was the way the contract was written and if I had a problem with it to call another service number tomorrow. He was also somewhat sarcastic.

The moral to this story is that this is just another corporation that has mishandled their business, are now in financial trouble and are now punishing their customers by nickel and dimeing them to death just to keep up the bottom line. Forget the customers and customer service.

The employees they hire will run from you when you try to ask them a question. They don't know anything about the products they sell and don't want to try to be of any help. There is a Lowe's 3 blocks from this Home Depot. This appears to be a systemic problem within the whole Home Depot Corporation. No wonder they are in trouble.

I am going to cut up my Home Depot credit card. I will not spend any more of my money at Home Depot and would urge anyone else to no longer do any business with this failing company.

Gc

Comments

• Me
      7th of May, 2009

Libraries have free internet. If you opted not to receive a paper bill and knew when your bill was due, it was still your responsibility to pay it. Sorry you are mad, but read the fine print. (Why I use cash).

• Da
      17th of May, 2009

well, we are supost to know when our bills are due and that your pc crushed certanly can not be put at blame on Home Depot.

• Ts
      23rd of May, 2009

Umm that was nobody's fault but your own. It's not the stores fault that you didn't pay you're bill. And there is nothing employees can do about it. I used to work there. You could've used another computer to pay you're bill. You have to pay your bills or yes you will be charged a late fee. Thats Life. If you can't handle it don't have credit cards. But it's certainly not home depot's fault. And another thing.. you customers just stop anyone with orange on. Maybe for instance, you stop a cashier and ask them about flooring. No they're not going to know. Just because you see them in the department doesn't mean that they actually work it. That's probably why you get people who don't know. So them running from you..probably not. Although who could blame them if they did run from customers? Half of their questions are so dumb it's just a waste of time talkin to them anyway.

• Bi
      23rd of May, 2009

You called customer service to complain about the late fee & interest fee hike, but you couldn't call them to pay your bill? That's sure taking initiative . Or did your phone crash too?

• Jm
      21st of Jul, 2009

What a dope! Citibank handles your credit card. Read the terms of the card and what happened to you is explained in the terms of agreement. If you had been nice and not thought the world was out to crush you, then I bet the first person could have reversed the late fee and interest rate increase because you had a good payment history. But I'm sure you were a jerk and were whining like an old fart. Hey, was your car broken too? Because you could have paid you bill at the store or used an old fashioned thing called a stamp. Fools like you that think it is everyone else's fault and not your own. As far as customer service, looks like both did a great jo. They answered the questions you posed to them correctly. What I don't see asked was, could they remove the fee and interest rate because you had a good payment history. No you were to worried about telling everyone what horrible service you got because this was all your fault in the first place.

• Rl
      12th of Aug, 2009

Um you could go to the library or maybe call it in, oh yeah there is a thing such as a stamp and an envelope. It's your own fault all that happened. Next time thinki and don't be stupid.PWNED.

• Un
      3rd of Nov, 2009

Some of the above comments were on target, but what I object to about the $35.00 late fee was the way it came about. We had a .13 deficit that's right 13 cents but because of the method that Citibank uses (via the way Citibank handles Home Depot credit cards) the .13 cents became $2.00 because they charge 263.98 % on outstanding balances. We thought that the $2.00 billing was a glitch ... Yes we should have been more alert! But really who would have thought that .13 cents would have compounded to $37.00. I know this may be hard to follow and I think that must be the reason why the statements from Home depot are difficult to read. I am very disappointed in Home Depot. and Citibank. Their method of accounting is unreasonable and unconscionable so we will not be using a Home Depot card any time soon. They have made their choice to lose a customer. What is really annoying is that I have stock in Home Depot.

• Ho
      2nd of Jan, 2010

You can pay your bill at the registers as well, as a cashier I do this many times a day! We could even call and find out how much your payment is for you.

Your fault 100% percent.

• Je
      10th of May, 2011

Totally your fault. Call the 800 number, go to a local HD, or hit the library. I'm sure you have a friend or two that is an internet subscriber.