History Channel Clubdefault on lifetime membership obligations

M Mar 05, 2017 Review updated:

Several years ago I signed up for a Lifetime Membership at the History Channel Club. For awhile, I did receive the bi-monthly magazines which were part of the Lifetime Membership contract. But for the last year or two I have received nothing. Nor do I recall getting any notices of changes, needing to contact me, or even going insolvent. So I fear this is a case of intended suspension of all benefits and see if the member responds. Or they have quietly gone insolvent. Since I paid for lifetime benefits, I should either get them or get a refund on the lifetime dues.

• P
      Jul 14, 2017

Why has the members of the history channel club not receiving the magazine anymore? I'm a lifetime member and I want to know, whats going on, why haven't I received any information, on why you all have stopped sending our promised magazine?
    Seem to be more questions than answers.
    With the popularity of the history channel, they need to divulge why they broke there prommisses to life time members. I enjoyed the magazine, and really would like to receive mine, that I paid for.
    Signed not a happy life member

Jul 21, 2017

I agree with you, not happy at all. I can guess what happened though, from the beginning, A&E farmed out the club to some third party whose sole business is setting these clubs up and running them once A&E decided to do a print magazine. So now, obviously, they discontinued the magazine and we're left with nothing because that seems to be what the only benefit there was left, is a lifetime subscription to the mag.,
    Total failure on their part. A company as big as A&E should be doing whatever they can to make it right with the people that got suckered because they didn't do due diligence in finding a reputable company to administer it in the first place.
    Class-action lawsuit, maybe? Probably too late, I don't know.

Aug 30, 2017

My name is Alleyn Kinney and became a lifetime member in July if 2004. I got the History channel magazine and when that quit they sent me the first issue of "Warrior" magazine and then we moved to Prescott, Arizona. Sine that time I have made numerous inquiries about the obligated magazine and had absolutely no response. I agree with the above comments and feel very strongly that you all have an obligation to the lifetime membership members. This is not a way to run the show. I have encouraged some of my friends to join and they have but now I am afraid they feel the same way. What will you plan or have you planned to do about this situation?????
    Alleyn Kinney Member # [protected] 253 Rockridge Road Prescott, AZ 86305
    P.S. I would really appreciate some kind of response to this and not have it just thrown into some waste container!

Oct 18, 2017

I also paid for a lifetime membership to the History Channel. I did receive bi-monthly magazines and other items .. them everything stopped without warning... why did everything stop?
    Member # [protected] Judy Orofino Connecticut

Oct 20, 2017

@Judy Orofino i also paid for a lifetime membership

Member#[protected]
    michael bell Indiana

Nov 08, 2017

ife member JANET WALDBURGER [protected] MEMBER SINCE 12/2011 AND I CAN'T FIND YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND A LONG TIME AGO I HAVE NOT BEEN GETTING YOUR WONDERFUL MAGAZINE. I FORGOT MY SIGN IN INFORMATION. PLEASE HELP ME

Nov 12, 2017

I also joined as lifetime member and once I didn't purchase anymore DVDs I stopped receiving any communications from them. The URL for signing into the website no longer is valid. I cannot find any valid website to sign-on.

• L
      Nov 12, 2017

I too stopped getting the magazine, and also received one issue of Warrior magazine, and that was it. Just figured it was a bad deal on A & E's part. You live and learn.

Dec 23, 2017

Intentional fraud ? Some response would show some morality. Why is the web sight still up? Life member Bill Fenton.

• A
      Jan 01, 2018

@Bill Fenton I get a broken link when I try to find HC Club site. They have removed all access to members. Folded the tent and ran out of town with all our money.

Jan 03, 2018

Yes, I too joined the club as a lifetime member. I really enjoyed their History magazine, but have not heard or received anything from them in years. I joined in 2004 (Life Member #[protected]) and was promised; Members of The History Channel Club Can Look Forward to:
    • H™ magazine (published six times a year). Each issue of this fact-filled, colorful, and lively magazine taps into the vast archives of HISTORY™
    • Members-only trips & tours
    • Discounts to museums
    • Unique member-to-member forums on the Club’s official website www.TheHistoryChannelClub.com
    • Opportunities to win history-related products and services
    • Opportunities to win getaways to historic destinations
    • The Guide to Historic America which is packed full with special Member savings and over 700 interesting historic sites to visit throughout our great country.
    • Special discounts on history-related products and services
    • And more!
    I was informed I now have access online to "Warrior" magazine... but they want more money to be a VIP member on the "Warrior" site. It is basically a "Man Cave" web site and very disappointing Not sure why such a popular network "screwed" everyone over so badly.

Jan 28, 2018

Also a lifetime member. A and E needs to step up to the plate. Refund the money.Big business can do whatever they like. Little people have no recourse. Club member# [protected] Bill B.

• G
      Jan 29, 2018

I have also been duped into The History Channel "Lifetime Membership" club and either my "lifetime" is over or I have been ripped off. Does posting a complaint here make any difference? Does ANYTHING I try to do about the situation make any difference? I can't get any results by calling the member services phone number, unless of course I want to BUY a FREE WalMart discount coupon. The member services web site link takes me to some sports site, and I am NOT interested in the history of the NBA or the NFL. Is there anyone out there who might be interested in a class action lawsuit against The History Channel AND the A&E Network??? What the hell, since their website is linked in, let's throw in the NFL and the NBA! I have been ripped off and SOMEBODY should pay for it or make it right! I didn't spend over $300 for a "lifetime" membership that has apparently died WAY before I have!!! Come on people! Let's get together and make their eyes water!!! Who's with me?!?

Sep 29, 2018

@G L Tirebiter I am. Let me know if this class action lawsuit happens and I will join up. I been a member since 07/2003.

Mar 07, 2018

I have been a member since 06/2005. Contacted the BBB. Informed today that they are out of business. The BBB
    can't help. Try contacting US BANKRUPTCY COURT DISTRICT OF MINNESOTA . The phone is [protected].

• G
      May 14, 2018

I also became a lifetime member but, as stated so many times above, I have not received anything for quite some time from the History Channel Club. My email address they have on file for me is [protected]@bak.rr.com. Are they filing bankruptcy?

May 23, 2018

This makes a lot of sense as I am a lifetime member as well and have not received a magazine for quite sometime, almost 2 years come to think of it.

Jun 13, 2018

I too have the same issue as many of the other writers about no longer getting my magazine even though I am lifetime member. It has been almost 8 years since I received my last issue and I too thought that maybe the club went bankrupt without letting anyone know. I even had two articles that were published in the magazine for which I was very proud. However, I have recently seen the History Club Magazine in Costco stores. If the Club went bankrupt why were we members not notified? And, since the magazine is on the shelf in stores my have we not been getting magazines continued? I would certainly, as I'm sure we all would, appreciate some answers so we can put closure to this issue. Here is my email address so that I can EASILY be reached. [protected]@yahoo.com.I hope that the History Channel Club steps up to the plate to do the right thing.

• V
      Jun 13, 2018

Vickie Ackermann I have been a lifetime member since Feb. 2010. #[protected]. I haven't heard anything or received anything from the History channel club in a very long time. I enjoyed it while it lasted. Is anything being done to make this right? My email is [protected]@coastalnow.net. Please advise.

Jul 08, 2018

Also a lifetime member. I was extremely disappointed when H Magazine switched to Warrior (I like social and cultural history, NOT military history). Then it just stopped coming and the website is gone. I wish we could get a refund for the membership, as it seems we were scammed. -Dawn Suiter

• T
      Jul 25, 2018

I, also, am a lifetime member since 2012. I don't receive anything any longer. What is going on? Thomas Shipman

Aug 14, 2018

I paid for lifetime membership in 2009 (ID # [protected]) Should at least have access to History Channel without paying.

• W
      Aug 22, 2018

I agree...we need information ... a refund or something for lifetime members...#[protected]...bought this for my husband years ago.

Aug 28, 2018

I just saw a History Channel "magazine" about Jack the Ripper. It was on sale at CVS. Seems like if there's anything being printed under that banner that this would give good reason to demand that Lifetime members also receive this. I'm going to write to the addresses listed in the magazine cover and see if any respond...

Oct 09, 2018

I also am I lifetime member and I order so many magazines that I realized the same thing .where's my magazines, has anyone gotten a response from them? And has anyone taken legal action? This isn't right I paid like everyone else hundreds of dollars .

• A
      Oct 10, 2018

I so agree we paid our membership in full and got magazine till we moved and then nothing at the new address at all and I bought this for my husband Member number [protected] very disappointed to spend all that money and now no access!

Dec 11, 2018

member since 2004 #[protected] everything stopped no info on what happen but this not the only lifetime membership of mine do this MLB did the same everything just stopped.

Deron Wlodarski

Dec 19, 2018

I also have been a member since 2006 and received the Warrior magazine for a short time and then nothing since. My lifetime number is [protected] and an wondering what we can do?

• O
      Dec 26, 2018

Same here! I signed up and paid for a lifetime membership. I notice the History Magazine is still published.

• O
      Jan 31, 2019

I also have been a member since 09/2009, member #[protected]. I would like ALL the benefits or my money back. This wasn't cheap.

Mar 22, 2019

Member since 03/2004, Member # [protected]. Please update me on anything that happens with this. I also agree this was not cheap. email [protected]@gmail.com

• R
      Apr 09, 2019

I subscribed to the History Channel Club as a lifetime member. Are any lifetime members interested in a class action law suit against A & E.? Is it possible at this point?

May 25, 2019

i also joined as a life time member -went well for a couple of years then nothing
    no mail no magazine nothing

May 31, 2019

@sblec I also was ripped off by History/A&E on the lifetime BS. Ironic that they slammed Trump for being dishonest and leave you thinking he is in "bed" with the Russians - all the while they do the same thing to the public - I am sure there won't be any reporting on this scam (no one reports on our media today - they are the real crooks)!!!

Jun 17, 2019

I, like the rest got my membership in 2008, have not received anything since 2010, I would be one to also sign up a class action suit, against
    History channel. They are paying big bucks for the treasure shows, so they need to fulfill their obligation to us.
    David Owens #[protected]

• N
      Jul 16, 2019

Just discovered that when the history channel club sold out to a 3rd party (you may remember getting your 'scout' magazine) that company soon after filed for bankruptcy . Here is what I found:
    "Scout Media, formerly The North American Outdoor Group and the North American Membership Group (NAMG), was an American media company, specializing in membership clubs and related magazines. Since 2007 it has been owned by the Pilot Group, a private equity firm run by Robert W. Pittman. In 2013, NAMG acquired Scout.com. NAMG combined with Scout.com to form Scout Media. Pilot Group lost control of Scout Media to a group of Russian investors. Scout Media filed for bankruptcy in 2016; it was acquired by CBS Sports Digital in 2017."

Oct 18, 2019

@Nick Pate Life Member here too. Started out as Charter Member then joined as a Life Member in 2005. Was wondering what happened to the magazine etc. Would have been nice if they had let everyone know what was going on. Thanks for the info. Wonder if there is anything that members can do?

• K
      Jul 23, 2019

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I, too, would be willing to participate in a class action lawsuit. I paid $700, but did not receive $700 worth of benefits. The professional thing to do would to have notified all of us as to what happened with our memberships.

Nick, have you discovered if there are any steps for all of us to take to receive refunds?

Thanks!
    Kristen Member ...9041

Aug 08, 2019

@KristyH I too a member since 2004 love to know what’s going on so I can jump on board wendle findley member no#[protected]

• R
      Oct 21, 2019

Along with everyone else, I, too am a Lifetime member since January 2011. I sure would like to know what happened to this membership

• K
      Oct 29, 2019

I sent an e-mail to the History Channel today. I don't know if it will do any good, but it made me feel better. Maybe if we all e-mail the History Channel, and multiple times a week, they will listen. Worth a try?

• T
      Nov 21, 2019

I have my Life member of the History Channel Club and it was issued in November 2007.

My thoughts on this situation is, that like all big conglomerates, they do not care about the little person unless they are causing a problem that can cause a reaction like a lawsuit. We are not going to get anything from these no-loads because we don't have any power. They have our money and that is all they care about.