Hewlett Packard / Compaq Laptop / faulty product!

1 India Review updated:

I had bought a Laptop Compaq v3133au which is still under warranty. Last month in August 2007 i was traveling to Mumbai on a business meet. There, the laptop would not start up and had no display on the screen. When i came back to Delhi, i carried it to the HP service center in Okhla industrial area. There i submitted my laptop. I got a call a day later telling me that the on-board graphic chip was faulty and hence the motherboard will be replaced.

I received it some days later by courier to my office. When I switched on the unit, i found that it was working OK. But, I noticed that the DVD-Writer was not working properly. On closer inspection, I found that someone had replaced my SONY branded DVD Writer with a Mitashi/Mitsui brand one. I went again to the service center and told them about it. I submitted the Laptop again. A week later, I went to collect my Laptop and now the DVD Writer was completely fine.

Now, decided to update the drivers from the net. I found that in the Graphics options section you can check the temperature of the graphic chip which was damaged previously. No surprises, it was heating like anything and while no program was running, the temperature shown by it was 123 degrees. If i run only the windows media player, the temperature shoots to 132 degrees, whereas the maximum threshold is 130 degrees. I went to the service center for the third time.

Firstly, they told me that there is nothing wrong. On insisting on the problem, they told me to submit it again. I got a call after 2-3 days telling me that they are changing the bottom case. After receiving it after a week, i find that the problem is still there. And on top of it, the keyboard is now bulging out from the right side.

Nobody has been able to resolve the problem. I will be taking it back again next week and see what they do.

Be very careful while buying from them again!!!

Comments

• Pr
      4th of Apr, 2008

Yes, Compaq is cheating the consumers by selling such substandard products in the Indian market. I too had an experience of the same sort.

I had bought a Compaq Presario V3133AU laptop and it went dead exactly 20 days after the expiry of warranty. Till that time, I used to suggest Compaq laptops to my friends and relatives. Now, when I started enquiring, I could find that this problem with on-board graphic chip was a common one with all the Presario 3000 series laptops and even desktop PCs (One of my close friends experienced it; it too was after 1 month of expiry of warranty). The service centers were fed-up with Compaq Presario laptops and they were sending back people who were not willing to change the mother board.

I somehow pursuaded a service center to repair the laptop for me by paying Rs. 6000 for replacing the chip. Then, one month later, it again showed the same complaint. This time also, I got it repaired by the same person and as soon as I got it back, I exchanged it with a Lenovo laptop. Now I am happy that I was able to get rid of my biggest nightmares.

I would advise, from my personal experience and also from what I have seen with my friends and also from what I could gather from the service centers, that one should not go for Compaq products in the future if you want to make sure that you get a service worth the money that you are spending.

Here I quote what a Compaq dealer to me, "Previously, Compaq was good... but after HP took it over, they have started compromising a lot on quality... now it is better to buy Acer or Sahara laptops that buying Compaq..."

Here, I would also like to mention about their poor Customer Service.

I had registered complaints in Compaq website and made calls after calls to HP Customer Service in Chennai. Once they promised to do something for me. Thereafter, they refused to attend to my calls and I even tried calling the cellphone of Mr. ***** (I wont mention the name here). There was no response. Such is their customer relations.

Therefore, please think over twice before you decide to buy Compaq PCs or laptops.

• Ha
      15th of Sep, 2009

yes m completely agree with u...

Hey, M having compaq v3029au laptop from sep 2006 nd u know, company has changed d motherboard 9 times n processor 2 times till now !! But still prob of display n heating is going on !! Nd nw they r nt even responding or nt even they r replying my calls or mails !!!

Nw m going 2 d consumer court, so any1 is having same prob ? plz help me 2 make compaq company feel guilty 4 it !!!