Hertz / fuel surcharge scam

1 Malta Review updated:

It seems Hertz Malta have a nice little scam going. I recently returned a car only to find a surcharge applied to my card for fuel. This is complete nonesense because the car was full upon return.
Incedibly the charge was made 2 days after retuning the car. Does this mean that someone at Hertz Malta drove the car for 2 days and then decided to charge the fuel to my card.
Of course Hetrz refuse to make any comment and are unable to substantiate their charge.

Comments

• Vd
      26th of Mar, 2010

Dear Mr. Hanson,

I have looked in our records for a rental with your name, however we do not have you on record.

Kindly feel free to contact me on my e-mail vdebono@hertz.com.mt so that you can give us the details of your agreement and we can look in the matter.

Regards,

Veruschka DeBono
    Sales and Operations Manager
    Hertz Malta

• Ke
      22nd of Sep, 2011

Rip off - If for eg you rented a car and only did a few miles, you would still be charged an extra, and exorbitant, amount for a full tank - This is dirty business and happened to me recently in Mallorca

21st of May, 2012

This happens to me every other time I rent with them. Each time (so far) they have credited me back the mistaken charge. It happens so often I gotta believe they do it on purpose knowing that a certain % of people will not bother to question charge. Good racket if you can get away with it