Hertzverbale fine online

Click on the link to see the full complaint

Comments

• Ra
      Jun 02, 2012

I too received a bill from Hertz for 36.30 Euros for a "VERBALE FINE ON LINE" in Rome, Italy. So, I started to research on-line and found this web-site. I searched some more and found that in Rome, as well as in many other Italian cities, there are zones designated as ZTL - Zona a Traffico Limitato. Zones where traffic is limited to certain cars with a permit. Not Hertz cars. For that matter, none of the rental car companies seem to have cars that would allow you to drive in a ZTL zone. The shocking bit of news is that these ZTL areas are huge, they change in shape and size depending on the time of the day. They are marked by signs with a Red Circle (see attached pictures) and have traffic cameras that take pictures of your car automatically, every time you enter a ZTL. Do you remember seeing a sign with a Red Circle? In the case of Rome, it's impossible to drive by any famous monument, museum, park, etc without entering a ZTL. You're basically doomed to get a fine. The fact that Hertz did not warn me about ZTLs is upsetting, but one should always know the local traffic rules and restrictions before driving in a foreign country. The 36.30 Euros represent an administrative charge that Hertz has "kindly" charged against my American Express. Maybe I won't be fined over 100 Euros by Italian authorities because they are awfully slow at processing fines, the fines expire after 360 days, and they have been known to ignore situations where tourists are involved. It has been my experience that it is reasonable to see a charge of 36.30 Euros for the administrative burden of supplying information to the Italian authorities. My personal conclusion is that I should not call American Express to remove the Hertz charge. I won't be renting from Hertz anymore, because I feel they should have warned me, but the charge is not excessive, so I don't think it is a scam. The bottom line: most people did unknowingly drive in a ZTL, the authorities do have a picture of the fact, and you essentially did break Italian laws. You can read more on the subject at http://italychronicles.com/speeding-fines-in-italy/

Jun 30, 2012

I rented a car (F3680902773) fron 03/03/12 until 03/04/12 in MIlão, and dont have any problens. Now, I received a information im my VISA that you are charging me in U$ 91, 94 (20/06/12) and I'm so much surprise;because I dont't know why. I always prefere Hertz, incluse already have another car rented im USA (15/08/12) and things like that never hapens until now.
    Please, a apriciate an answer about.
    Thanks, Manuel

Jun 30, 2012

Is so hard to believe that things like that happens. I will get in contact with hertz international.

• Ve
      Aug 22, 2012

I rented a car on 19th May'2012 at Pisa airport which I returned properly at airport Bergamo on the next day. Few days later(23 May 2012), my credit card was charged 121.71Euro - fully covered my rent and everything was OK. 16th Aug'12(almost 3 months later), I was surprised with new charge of 37 euro. I didn't receive any notice, info and explanation/reason for that! Reading some posts about same problem of other customers, I became afraid that this(additional charges) can be happened in next months probably few more times. What I have to do? Is it necessary to destroy/cancel my CC? It was thinking before that this can be happened in my country(Bulgaria) but believe me - I haven't such experience there! Ventseslav Andreev, Bulgaria

• Ed
      Aug 24, 2012

Eu recebi também esta multa e, no momento, apenas lamento não ter recebido mais informações a respeito da possível infração. Qual o local? Que tipo de infração?
    Quanto aos valores esta é a única cobrança que recebi, porém, diante dos comentários acima acompanharei minuciosamente os lançamentos futuros no meu cartão.

• He
      Sep 08, 2012

Hi all, I got the same complaint with Hertz Italy Pisa. my card was billed twice at the amount of euro 36. By mail I've got the invoices together with a copy of the 'accertamento di violazione' (2 times). I think it is reasonable that I have to pay for the fines, and as Hertz not being a part of the police in italy, it charges its own handling costs, so far not really a problem. The thing that I really get upset about in my situation is that I get 2 fines for 1 trespassing. Apparently 2 police officers have seen me, one at 17:07 and another one at 17:15 on the same place at the same time, and fined me. In the same way, the hertz people are a bit too greedy, they could have done it in one transaction as well. I rented 3 days for 90 euro, which is a nice price. but with these fine handling costs I get the feeling that this fine handling is Hertz real cashcow, instead of renting cars. I will try to get at least one charge back, and even when I succeed, I will not forget this Hertz!!.

• Pe
      Sep 21, 2012

Same for us: receiving 2 36.30EUR fines from Hertz Italy on 8/26/12 for fines occurred in June 2012, but we had no re-collection of any violation whatsoever. What a scam!

• As
      Sep 23, 2012

Same for us. Received 2 x 36.30 EUR fines from Herts Italy dated August 29, 2012 but received Sept. 20, 2012 for "VERBALE FINE ON LINE" emitted July 3 and 5, 2012 in Bologna and Milano. Each time, we were parking in public car parks. So I tend to rely on the explanation given above by Ralphm, posted 2nd of June, on these ZTL, even if I have not payed attention to any red circle signs. I am going to try something with Hertz France...

• La
      Oct 12, 2012

I also received a verbale fine on line from Milan in a car rented from Hertz but don't remember doing anything wrong. It doesn't say what is the infraction and it was charged from the credit card without any chance of impugnment. Did anyone get in contact with Hertz about it? Got any explication?

Laura, Brasil.

• Ra
      Oct 20, 2012

same thing happen to me 2 times 36 euros and 2 times 160euros from the parking ticket authority I don't know way!!! anyone can help?

• Ji
      Oct 24, 2012

The same thing happened to me. We never went to Novate Milanese and was 200 miles away at a grocery store in Lucca at the time of the alleged violation - 'verbale fee on line' (whatever that means). Have a receipt from the grocery store. So far have been charged $46.30 by Hertz Italy for administrative services related the alleged violation. Awaiting response from travel agent in U.S. that arranged for rental. Unfortunate end to what had been a great vacation.

• In
      Nov 04, 2012

It happened to me as well. I rented a car from Hertz Italiana from Milan and returned the car at Malpensa Airport in August. I just got the 36Euros charged to my card in October. I disputed, and I didn't receive any details from them at all.

• Re
      Jan 08, 2013
    Hertz - rental
    Hertz car Rental
    Austin
    Texas
    Phone: [protected]

I rented a car online and prepaid on 01/07/2013. When I got to the counter it was unnsuccessful everybody was talking about each other to us about their co workers. strictly unprofessional. the only one to try to help was the manager. My funds were PlACED ON HOLD BUT THEY CLAIMED THEY COULD NOT SEE IT BUT i GOT A CONFIRMATION NUMBER.

• Co
      Jan 17, 2013

I have the same problem. I rented a car at Pisa airport in September 2012 (notice: company was ADVANTAGE-HERTZ) and returned it 7 days later. I had absolutely NO problem. Since then the charged me twice 30 euros WITHOUT notice. I think the only solution is to cancel you credit card!!!

• Ky
      Jan 18, 2013

Same with me. I rented a car from Hertz in Piza for three days at the end of Semptember 2012. Now they charged me 36, 30 Euros, without any notfication. I don't know what to do!

• Ky
      Jan 18, 2013

Same with me. I rented a car from Hertz in Piza for three days at the end of September 2012. I took the car to them full of gas and they told me that everything was ok and I had nothing to pay. Now they charged me 36, 30 Euros, without any notfication. I don't know what to do!

• Vo
      Mar 15, 2013
    Hertz - car rental
    Hertz Car Rental
    District of Columbia

Well I don't know where to start but I can relate to the overcharging, (Hertz charging me an additional $50.00 daily for an extended rental I had for 3 months) bad customer service (returned an unsafe vehicle I was paying 156.00 daily, to be told I would be given a vehicle nowhere in its class and probably worth $11.00 a day) which goes to show people are not professionals anymore. Instead they go on power trips instead of being an asset to loyal customers. Last but not least I had to spend 2 and a half weeks in jail smh...because Hertz claimed I stole their vehicle. No one regardless of how much money they're spending should have to endure that. The prosecutor refused to try the case and it was nolle prosequi. This experience was disgustingly unacceptable and left me with scars I am bound to never forget. I am currently in the process of suing them.

• Ju
      Apr 02, 2013

Same here! 4x EUR36, 30. 3 times at the same place. 2 times between 2 minutes!
    I have rented a car from july 24 2012 from Verona airport until july 31 at Milano train station.
    Online it is great to book it, with extra theft, super cover, extra insurance, never lost etc. Little SMALL detail Hertz does mention in their 40 chapters of terms & conditions is that everytime you get a fine, Hertz charges you an extra EUR36, 30 administration fee!
    The orginal ticket you might recieve in the next 3 years or so.
    Hertz was so kind to email me their invoices they forgot to sent while deducting my credit card 4 times extra, and counting!
    Tip: Never use your credit card with Hertz, or try your bank to void the payments.

May 01, 2013

I'd rented a car from Hertz in mid March for a week in Italy. After returned from Italy, Hertz is charging me EUR42.35 every few days! Till now there have been 7x EUR42.35 on my bill. I have to call my credit card company and prepare to fight. Really have fun! I agree with Jurienne: never show you credit card to Hertz. If possible, pay by cash or fight like an ancient Roman.

May 01, 2013

O'd rented a car from Hertz Italy in mid March for a week in Rome. After I returned from Italy, Hertz is charging me EUR43.25 every few days. Till now ther have been 7xEUR43.25 on my bill!!! I've called my credit card company and been preparing to fight. I agree with Jurienn: never show your credit car number to Hertz Italy; pay by cash or fight with Hertz like an ancient Roman, -- when in Rome,do as the Romans do! (Anyway, most Romans are not like Hertz)

• Ol
      Aug 30, 2013

Our situation is worse: Euro 289 were withdrawn from our card. We contacted our bank (we are Russian), where we were told that this Hertz Italian Spa is the Head Office of the rental company where we took car. But actually it was FireFly, not Hertz.
    So i wrote a letter to the Italian office where we took the car and now i'm waiting for the respond.

• Ne
      Aug 31, 2013
    Hertz - 9rental Car0 - Piss poor service & Lied to
    Hertz Auto Rental
    Britain Road
    Cuyahoga Falls
    Ohio
    Phone: [protected]

After shopping around I thought I had found the best deal. (WRONG!!) Had made reservations via phone with Hertz. Told I could use my debit cards attached to my bank accounts, Would be a hold of $300, on my accounts, no problem. When I arrived @ dealership(should of been @12 pm), because of employees calling off.I didn't get there until 2 pm. Then I was told I could not use my debit cards, and had to have someone with a Credit card.Now the only person I knew was at work. Didn't get off until they closed.Called 1-800 talked to lady who said I should be able to get car on my debit card. Info of what had happened told Me I would have to go to Airport to get car. 30 miles away. Finally worked it out but car went from $285 to $796 for the same amount of time.Because now third party had to go +insurance. I could of flown cheaper, without the headache.Will NEVER, EVER USE HERTZ AGAIN!!!

Sep 05, 2013

The same happened with me! 43 eur bill after 4 month, for what?
    But I have canceled my credit card before. :)
    Thanks guys for infomation!

I will never, never rent a car from HERTZ again!

• Na
      Sep 25, 2013
    Hertz - Over charged
    Nakendra Butler
    219 williams st
    Athens
    Texas
    Phone: [protected]

I was over charged 300.00 on my car rental and the car was due on 9-24-13 but I turned the car in on 9-23-13 and the rental agreement was not process until 9-25-13 ao when I got the release agreement I had been over charged 300.00 and this is not the first time for this not very happy.

• Ho
      Sep 25, 2013

• Fr
      Sep 30, 2013
    Hertz Italiana - Fine on Line
    Markham
    Ontario
    Canada

I rented a car from Hertz Italiana and picked up the vehicle at the Florence airport on June 8, 1913.
    The car was returned on June 14 at the same place. Paid in full with the Visa Credit Card.
    I have received a notice of a fine for the amount of 42.35 EUR which will be billed to the credit card.
    The time of the unspecified infraction is at 10.31 in Florence. At this time I was on the Siena-Florence Highway trying to drop off a family member at the Airport.
    What is a "fine on line"?

• Ok
      Oct 07, 2013

You should read this: http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.htm#.UlLrVBylk6Q

• Hr
      Dec 03, 2013

Same happened to me, just received an invoice 42.70 Euro's, allegedly it happened 59 minutes before I handed in the keys at the Florence airport, in Viareggio (west coast!) where I never drove.

I know for a fact I had been in florence two hours prior to the alleged traffic violation due to a friend catching an earlier flight.

Checking my card statement I see they've (Hertz Italiana S) charged my card twice within two weeks of each other at a total of ~85 euros.

Time to order a new card and cancel the old.

• Vo
      Dec 29, 2013

Exactly the same amount 42, 70€ as from the guy before me was taken out from my Master Card -related bank account as well on 9.12.´13 issued to Hertz Italiana Spa! I rent a car from Hertz with my friends at Milan-Bergamo airport on last July for 1 week, so it was already 4+ months before they (the ugly ###) did this to me/us too huh. I Just sent message to "my" bank (Danske Bank) here in Finland, I hope they can do/deal with this already (return my money back) or at least provide me with Good information how to reclaim it back (from MasterCard-company). Of course I can not be 100% sure if we did brake some traffic rules during that time last summer, but I really doubt that we did (we mainly drove Outside of Italy anyways) ; so IF there will come some fine-tickets later from Italian police directly to my home address etc, I will consider it´s real validity with really High Suspicion as well.. :( Luckily I have already right now changed my "main" bank to other one anyway (with no money left on my DB bank account anymore) and have totally different Visa-card from them etc, so this was luckily the first and only time they can do/play this kind of disgusting trick to me too = Too bad even big major international company like Hertz is not free from this kind of scamming, or actually seems to be More involved in it than other smaller car rental companies, no wonder their "official" prize was cheaper than on other companies hah! (also Ryanair should Stop using Hertz as their Major partner before they can get at least 99, 9% guarantee and clearing that this kind of -peep- action is not happening anymore in Any country they are offering bond-offers with H-z on their web-pages :-| ).

• Os
      Jan 09, 2014

The same happened to me. Exactly the same amount 42, 70€. I rent a car from Hertz at Treviso Airport in August. 4 months later Hertz Italiana charged my mastercard.

• Ol
      Jan 16, 2014

Got the same "fine" 42.70 from Hertz Fiumicino without any details about my violation. I never saw such scam from Avis, Maggiore and others, one time I was really fined and Maggire sent letter with photo and original form from polizia.
    Hertz are scammers.

• Th
      Jan 21, 2014

The fine is yet to come and the euro42.70 is just an admin cost. We received on of these from Hertz, the first we knew of it was that the admin cost was taken from the credit card. We contacted Hertz and they provided the bill. THAT IS THE WRONG WAY ROUND SURELY!! We are yet to receive a ticket, but we will contest it. The time and date is correct, but we parked a mile away from the ZTL (zona traffic limitato). We were very well prepped for driving around Italy and knew about the potential for fines like this in advance. We planned our routes into cities before we even got to Italy and still we're being fined. I haven't seen a lot of mention about the ZTLs, none of them have common websites and it's tricky to be sure where they start and begin. BE VERY SURE TO FAMILIARISE YOURSELVES WITH THE SIGNAGE BEFORE YOU DRIVE INTO A CITY OR TOWN. When you get to know them, you will see them fairly easily and those that are not always active will have the word ATTIVO! lit up next to them or times posted accordingly, so you can be sure. We visited 15 towns and cities with ZTL in their centre. All were different times, websites, but generally, your hotel can have your car "allowed" for a period of time so you can get your luggage in. If you're just visiting, there are a lot of car parks around the ZTLs at varying costs.

• De
      Feb 22, 2014

I have had the same problem with Firefly at Pisa Airport. First of all the car they gave us broke down and had to pay 100 euros to get a taxi back to the airport - it took them four months to refund it; they overcharged me on the rental and now I have had about six charges of £32 put on my credit card bill totalling £217 followed by a letter saying they had charged me £30 for giving the police my address as I was allegedly speeding seven months ago. They never reply to any emails and are crooks.

• Si
      Mar 06, 2014

I have the same case.I request the paper work on why the police need my information.If no one ask you to give them. Why you give them automatically .
    And I ask hertz which ways for the police to contact you to need these information?Is there only form phone call ?
    Finally they refunded this charge for me

• Cl
      Apr 02, 2014

Aluguei um carro pela Hertz em outubro de 2013, em Malpensa Milano, e hoje, para minha surpresa, recebi uma cobrança no meu cartão de crédito sem nenhuma explicação. Vejo pelo número de reclamações nessa lista que esse é um problema recorrente na empresa. Quem vai tomar alguma atitude? Hertz nunca mais!

• Dm
      Apr 08, 2014

I too have this problem. Thought the Hertz charge was for a parking ticket in Pisa but now 10 months later received a ZTL fine by registered mail. It was originally a 102 Euro fine if paid within 5 days (impossible as I had no idea I had transgressed), then it goes to 125 Euros if paid within 60 days of notification...which they claim occurred 10 months ago. Now Pisa expects 206 Euros (plus whatever it would cost to get the money to them). Think I'll have to let the bill collectors chase me and hope that Hertz doesn't pay the fine with my credit card...
    Very disappointed with Hertz, my Garmin GPS and the city of Pisa...won't be using hertz or visiting Pisa again...

• Eh
      Apr 22, 2014

I received a 42.70 Euro charge from Hertz Venice because I apparently got a speeding ticket. the ticket is not even issued yet but they charged me for providing my name to the police.
    Thats horrible. Those ###ers must die.

• Ko
      May 27, 2014

Same to me! I rent a car from hertz at Milan and return it to Malpensa airport. After a month and a half, they charged me 3*42.50 euros as administrative fees for giving my personal information to police. Of course, i did contact my bank and i declared dispute of transaction. Please, stay away from Heartz Italiana. I cannot understand why Heartz headquarters leave heartz italiana to screw their customers. I am sure they are aware of it, but why they leave us unprotected???

Jun 06, 2014

We are from Ireland and hired a car for a week in April from Hertz at Pisa airport. 2 lots of €42.70 have been taken from our bank account via our card, both on the 30th of May. We may have violated some of the ZTL rules unknowingly and for that we should pay the countries fine for the offence but my points are a) Hertz did not warn us of these rules
    b) they took the money without notifying me what it was for c) they charged this admin fee twice on 1 day when obviously they were processed at the same time d) €42.70 is an outrageous charge for administration. And lastly this is all very frightening - I have no idea what it is for, how much I will have to pay that I cannot afford and by when. I telephoned Hertz Ireland and spoke to the most unhelpful man who basically said that nothing could be done, I may hear from the Italian authorities, I may not. I asked if there was a phone number or a website where I could find out what the fine was for and he couldn't give me either. I suggested to him that Hertz should advise customers about the fines and what they are for at the same time they process the deduction from the card. He said this was computer generated and they wouldn't have the manpower to do it. I asked for this to be fed back to management and that possibly the manpower wasted at the moment dealing with phone calls such as mine could be put to better use by informing people but he said it won't change and just kept repeating himself talking over me all the time. I am going to copy this to Hertz CEO and Michael O'Leary at Ryanair who are recommending Hertz. I will not use Hertz again and would urge others to think carefully before using Hertz in Italy.

• Fr
      Jun 16, 2014

I had the same thing,

They charged me with 42, 70

Was a prepaid rent.

Hertz told me it was about something with the police in Firenze.

Though I had several other charges returned already as they tried to charge me more than originally in the contract (close to 300 Euros instead of the original 150) they now sent me this verbale fine of line.

Just told my creditcard company to get the money back to my account.

Really disappointed by hertz as this is the 3rd time that happened in Italy (with the 2rd reservation!!!)