Heritage Web Solutions / Take the money and run!

I wrote numerous alerts about Heritage web solutions internet fraud schemes on Hostdiscussions.com, dozens of e-mail responses were received by me substantiating Heritages business practices including fraud, bate and switch tactics, sub-standard web design, and failure to deliver web sites paid for. Hostdiscussions alerted me that I was not allowed to post any comments made by people who e-mailed me about Heritage (I posted the entire e-mails that were sent to me) most were from people who responded to Hostdiscussions postings. I asked Host to supply me with a copy of any rules that prohibited me from posting the e-mails I received and their site adm. responded with "I make the rules" and " I said no", I asked him about the freedom of speech rights in this country and their response was to shut down and delete all reference to Heritage Web solutions.

Soon after all links to Host discussions went to another site and guess who popped up as a sponsor of Hostdiscussions. Heritage web solutions.

Now it's evident that host discussions.com has no respect for our freedom of speech rights, and are willing to trash those right for a buck. At the same time promoting a company that has continuously ripped of consumer after consumer by either scamming them into contracting for a web site design that is either never delivered, told that the site will cost more and more money, take 8 to 10 months to deliver (promises are 4 to 6 weeks), employees call this company a sweet shop, with a requirement that custom sites be completed at a rate of 4 to 5 custom sites a day. Turnover is high at the company and customers are contacting law enforcement and lawyers.

Hostdiscussions for the almighty dollar has sold our freedom of speech rights and promoted a horrible horrible company on the net. Do they care about the public or are they just in it for the money?

Gi

Comments

31st of Mar, 2007

Wow, I wish I had seen this site before I agreed to the Heritage Web Solutions agreement. I have been charged in full, and am paying monthly hosting fees for a website that does NOT work, I have NO Logo or Banner, and I BEGGED them to make it go live so that I could go in to fix all of the content they screwed up. I am shocked they are still in business. I cancelled my service and to add insult to injury they emailed me to say I'm responsible for a year's hosting and I'm only a couple of weeks live.

This is unbelievable...how can they get away with this? I feel it is extortion! They say they'll do something, but I have dozens of emails and made dozens of calls without return. I actually feel as though they do all of this on purpose just to get the year of fees. Can anyone help us?

Is there a District Attorney in Utah that has the guts to look into their practices. I've NEVER had to a point where I was this outraged and actually write something like this. Can anyone help or make a suggestion about my rights? Thank you! Janet

14th of Apr, 2007

First of all, let me say that this Gianna person is a liar. She is not being truthful at all. She has a 'score' to settle and I do not wish to be part of it whatsoever.

I manage the board she is mentioning. First of all, we respect freedom of speech. We do not respect those however who post OTHER PEOPLES EMAILS. I told her to notify the people who emailed her and notify them that they were completely welcome to login and post on their own. We have no issues with people complaining about others. However, she has gone totally overboard and simply did not have her normal post, she had 6 separate posts all full of other peoples emails to 'her'.

She has also been shut down on WordPress for the same exact thing. Posting your opinion is one thing, but she has abused our board and who knows how many others for her own personal vengeance. To be honest, she should use this rage to do something positive with her life. She has completely lost it.

She has abused our system and also threatened us legally.

I believe she has a vengeance to get Heritage. I do not know if they did a good or bad job for her. However, I do know she is filled with some sort of rage I've not encountered before and want no part of.

Furthermore, Heritage is NOT a sponsor on our site and this is a complete LIE told by GIANNA. We gave her a warning and she disregarded it and threatened us. Her abusive actions have led to us shutting down the complaints section on our site. She is furthermore not welcomed as she has lied about us.

In addition we will be pursuing a defamation lawsuit against her if these baseless accusations do not stop.

• Gi
      19th of Apr, 2007

No lies were ever told about this person or site, on the internet there are to sites one is hostdiscussion.com his company and another called hostdissions.com another site (to close to call) the second site also contained, advertising sponsorship from heritage web solutions, this adms. Name so if it's a mistake it was a mistake made with justification.

Next there is no rage or hate in what is being done on our part.just ask the many people we have helped get refunds or properly designed web sites. See [redacted]s.com. Our goal is to bring heritage web solutions to the publics attention by letting people see what this company is doing. With information people can make their own choice as to do business with this company or not. Those that have and had bad experiences have a forum to express their comments and concerns ,( we have also posted mark strong comments, customers who have seemingly good experiences as well as for employees who explain why heritage has problems and current employees who defend heritage policy. The gives people an objective view.

I am still not convinced about why it is against policy (at hostdiscussion.com) to add comments that people who have e-mailed to us about heritage. It's public information and it would seem this person for what ever reason choses to decide what is freedom of speech and what is not.( there are no posted rules on his site prohibiting what was done) nor could he direct us to any. The rules according to him are in his head and are made up to suit his needs at the moment.

He asked for an apology and i gave it to him for the mistake since both names are so closely associated, however no apology was given then or now about my feeling about his violating our right to freedom of speech, and his power to decide what can or cannot be written in an open forum( as long as no threats, violence, or obsenties were used).

Once again there is no rage,vendetta, or vengeance in our attempts to bring heritage to the publics eye. Had someone done this before and took a stand many many people would have saved themselves a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Any litigation that he now choses is up to him, a lie is only a lie if there is nothing to substantiate the statement or saying and there is no defamation if you believe what you are saying to be true. (wordpress has not contacted us about anything however if they do we will respond in the like.

• Mi
      16th of May, 2007

They are garbage, i am on the phone with them again trying to get my money back. Promised site, never delivered. Wouldn't give me the site we agreed on without more charges. Charged me 2 months without even having a site. Wouldn't give 100% refund either. Steer clear. Garbage.

• Gi
      16th of Jun, 2007

Doubt that they will go anywhere. They have a horrible reputation with their ex employees. They are all about quantity, they could care less about quality. Their managers push to get over 30 live a day, 30! They want a design (banner and layout) done in 30 minutes, and the HTML page done within 20 minutes, for every site! How can you get good quality work with that? Once a client has "approved" their site, and maybe a couple days later wants a change, good luck, it takes at least 2-3 weeks to get the easiest things taken care of. They are understaffed for the amount of clients they hold. They are a cheap company, paying designers crap for what they get put through. They won't hire more to cover what they need, instead they will overwhelm their employees. After working with them for over a year I would strongly recommends to anyone not to use their company. Look somewhere else. Smaller companies might not be as well known, but chances are they have more one on one time with you in providing a good website.

Ex Employee in Bountiful, Utah

11 days ago
    Heritage is not a fun environment to work at. I personally worked there for a year, if it wasn't for a great boss that I loved then I probably wouldn't have stayed. I felt over worked and under paid. They have a lot of clients, Heritage needs to hire more people to cover their clientel. Heritage asks that every designer finish a design (layout and banner) in 30 minutes, and the HTML on the page in 20. It's hard to give quality work when your on a time frame.

The 170 + employees is a little far fetched. More like 30 designers, and then account managers, the majority is their sales department. As for a design team that actually takes care of the sites, there isn't much.

Average start for pay is generally low for what a typical designer would be paid. Or any position...

12th of Jul, 2007

Heritage Web Solutions values all of its customers, especially those who have voiced complaints. It is in our best interest to work with these customers to reach a reasonable and fair resolution. In most cases Heritage tries to go beyond what is fair for the company and errors on the side of the upset customer.

Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for some customers who, no matter what we do, are never truly satisfied. This is especially disheartening, as Heritage has the solid reputation of providing excellent customer service.

Some customers, as illustrated on this complaint website, have resorted to airing their grievances on the public Internet, in hopes of resolving their particular complaint. We do all that we can to help meet a fair resolution to their satisfaction.

However what becomes unfair to us, are those customers who we feel have received everything they have asked for, and more, but then take it upon themselves to have an ongoing vindication against Heritage. To us, there is nothing more we can do to satisfy them. They are who they are. Vindictive and angry people do more harm to themselves than they think they are doing against a company. It is sad but true.

Heritage Web Solutions, with a customer base of over 10,000, receives less than one half of one percent in complaints. That is an impressively low number compared to the standards of today. We certainly would like to have zero complaints, but that is just not realistically possible. There will always be those people who cry foul, no matter what.

What you don’t see on this complaint website are all the positive emails and letters we receive daily from customers who are extremely happy with the service and work we have provided for them.

Heritage Web Solutions is a good, solid custom web design and hosting company that has an excellent rating with the Better Business Bureau and the Utah State Department of Commerce. We are ranked in the top 1% of web hosting companies in the United States and have recently been recognized by Inc 500.

If you feel that Heritage Web Solutions is not taking care of you, I would invite you to contact me at my personal email address at ceo@hwsinet.com, and I will personally follow up on your issue.

Warmest Regards,

13th of Sep, 2007

Additional Comment:

I have been able to resolve most of the customer's complaints from this website. There are those customers that never are completely satisfied no matter how much we tried.

So, If you have a complaint, please communicate directly with me at: CEO@hwsinet.com

My personal commitment is to make sure that we are totally fair and equitable with you.

Warm Regards,

• Un
      14th of Sep, 2007

I got ripped off too. Mr. Strong said contact the BBB they will tell you what a great company they are.

Well I did, filed a complaint. Am suing them for damages. I will not stop till they shut this crook down. I am contacting their local media as well. Stop these crooks. They took 1000 from me and I got nothing. Gave them 5 months to put up my site, which my new person did within hours.

Help SHUT them Down!

24th of Sep, 2007

I paid Heritage Web Solutions $6000 to design a website for me. Before I paid them they were very nice and assured me that they could handle the assignment I was proposing. After I paid things changed. A project that in my opinion should have taken 1 month took 4. My "project manager" often took 3-4 days to respond to e-mails. In the end I had a site that looked o.k. but DID NOT WORK AT ALL.

Note: This is not a complaint. In order for Heritage Web Solutions to give me the FTP that I needed, they made me sign a document stating that I would not complain about their company. So this is NOT a complaint. I am simply stating that I paid them $6000 to design a website for me. What I think should have taken 1 month took 4. And in the end the site DID NOT WORK and I had to start from scratch with another company.

These are not "compaints" -- these are facts.

12th of Oct, 2007

THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE DO NOT USE HERITAGE THEY WILL JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN. FOR EVERYONE THAT GOT SCREWED BY THIS COMPANY I AM SURE THAT YOU SIGNED THERE TOS AWHILE AGO. WELL THEY JUST CHANGED IT BECAUSE SOMEONE FOUND A LOOPHOLE IN IT THAT YOU CAN POST ABOUT THEM ANYWHERE BUT THE INTERNET BECAUSE AS YOU KNOW IF YOU SIGNED THERE TOS YOU CANT TYPE BAD ABOUT THEM OR THEY SUE YOU. THEY DON'T WANT THE PUBLIC TO KNOW HOW BAD THEY S*CK. IT NEVER SAID YOU COULDN'T GO TO OTHER SOURCES OF MEDIA AND DO IT SO I URGE EVERYONE THAT GOT SCREWED TO GO AND LET HTE PUBLIC KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THIS HORRIBLE PIECE OF CRAP COMPANY OUT THERE. THERE ARE A LOT BETTER COMPANIES OUT THERE THAT WILL DO BETTER WORK SO DON'T BE A VICTIM AND GO WITH THIS ONE DO YOUR RESEARCH.

• Bo
      19th of Oct, 2007

I have had many of the same experiences as many who have written on tis thread, can anyone tell me a good source of finding a new company to manage and care for my website that I can trust?

• Bo
      22nd of Oct, 2007

I would like to say that I was having many of the same experiences as many of you on this thread. I was very frustrated and began searching for answers and alternatives when I found this website. I read the entire thread and to my surprise I read the comments of Brad Stone.

I was pessimistic at first thinking it was just someone from the company writing a fluff piece but I decided to try the email address in hopes that it really was Brad Stone and he really was interested in helping any customer that really was feeling like me.

I wrote to Brad on Saturday and included my experiences that had led me to be so frustrated and by Monday morning my website was being worked on at the pace i expected and by afternoon I had a personal email from Brad apologizing for my experience and personally assuring that my website issues were being resolved.

This entry into the email string is two fold, one to tell everyone to trust that Brad Stone really does care and will resolve your issues if you let him have to chance to do so and two is to thank him for helping me and restoring my faith that Heritage will take care of my website.

Thanks Brad, you have proven to be a stand up guy and an asset to Heritage.

Sincerely,

Jim Campbell

• Ga
      24th of Oct, 2007

For Jim Campbell;

Yes it really is Brad Stone's email. I wrote him early this morning and got a response later this same morning. Without going into gory details I have had a web site under construction by Heritage since mid September with no clear end in site. I wrote Brad to tell him I was canceling my account. His rapid response was that he was getting someone on it ASAP and he would personally monitor my account which i believe is true since that person called me later this morning.

Unfortunately this response was a bit late as I have found a large public company that will do the work and hosting for much less. I still am waiting for a response to my second email again canceling my account and requesting a refund for work not yet completed. As of 2:36 P. M. Pacific time there has been no response from Brad. I will keep you all posted when I get a response from Brad.

Good companies that are struggling deserve a break shysters need to be drawn and quartered. The jury is still out on Heritage Web Solutions with me at the moment.

Best wishes to all,
    Gary Kopp.

31st of Oct, 2007

I too have reached "the end of the line" with this Company, I have had too many issues with them to go into... my main ones are that it took 14 weeks to get my partly finished site up and running,their blurb states four weeks!!! I really believe that they are a Sales Motivated Company and once they have your money they do not care... I have been trying to resolve issues for months, my approach has always been respectful but the final straw came last week when I received 2 really offensive emails from two of their employee's. They have no Customer Service and no continuity as they have a large turnover of staff. I have now gone to another company at further expense to put this site right!!!

Sheila Clarke.

21st of Nov, 2007

Warmest Regards,

24th of Jan, 2008

Warm Regards,

• Gl
      9th of Feb, 2008

There are no words to express my disappointment with being tossed aside by this company. I now understand that the contract gives them the right to totally ignore you, which includes not supplying a web site after being paid to build one. It's basically in the contract.

• De
      18th of Feb, 2008

I was almost ready to sign with these guys when I decided to do a search first. Thank God I found this complaint board. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences with Heritage Web Solutions. I'm sure my $1000+ will be well spent somewhere else! Does anyone know of a reputable company that does design and hosting? Thanks again!

5th of Mar, 2008

Yes, I do know of a reputable company. If you follow these suggestions, you'll find one very much like it.

Price matters, to a point. As others have pointed out, it is unrealistic to expect a professional website done for $200. Think - you want a website to present the totally on-top-of-it image you'd expect if YOU were out shopping for your merchandise or service. Be prepared to spend a little something on it, and be prepared to be involved in the process if you want your site to reflect your look and feel. A good web designer will do much more than put a site up. S/he will code cleanly and well so that updates are easily accomplished, will incorporate good principles of search engine optimization so that people actually find you, and will not try to nickel and dime you into simple page elements that cost them nothing and take 5 mins to implement.

A coder is not a designer. Don't go to your buddy because he "knows php." My 18-year-old knows enough php to run his own social network website, complete with a forum and polls. But no one needs to find the site in a search engine, he doesn't care about look and feel, no one is shopping off of his site, he doesn't deal with affiliate programs or ad placement - you get the drift. YOU are after more than coding here.

If the answer to your question of "How much?" is "What is your budget?", run.

This is a different question though, than when you approach a web designer and say "I have a $2000/$5000/$10000 budget and I need to accomplish the following things - what do you suggest?" Ask that question of several web designers.

Examine their portfolios carefully. Make sure that the clients they claim really are their clients, and if they are no longer, ask the designer AND client why. It may not be for a bad reason. Or it may... Don't just click through from the designer's portfolio, and don't just type the URL into the browser. Google the company.

When checking out a site, does the site work well? Can you find what you need? Does everything load quickly? Does it appear to be through-designed, and not cobbled together with a widget from here and a snip of code from there? Of course, it WILL be written that way, but how well can the designer integrate those pieces so that the site itself is seamless?

Is the copy clean and free of spelling and usage errors? Do all the links work? Can you get to places you're not supposed to be by manipulating the URLs? Do you EVER see a generic error page (like a 404), or Apache server error page, or any kind of an error page that spits out SQL? Do you see "This area under construction"? You should never see any of those things.

In your initial communications with the designer, are your communications answered or returned promptly? If they're flaky about getting back to you before the sale... well, it won't get better after you're already committed.

Provide and own your own domain name. If coming up with a good domain name is part of what you want help with, fine, but when that's been accomplished, you should own it. Many (but by no means all) web designers sell web hosting services, but I don't know a single reputable firm that locks you into a hosting plan unless you specifically want a hosting plan.

Don't be bullied by waves and waves of scary acronyms. A good web designer will be familiar with most web technologies, even though they probably work chiefly with only a few. Obviously, if your website requires a specific technology, find a developer who specializes in it. But s/he should be knowledgeable in others too.

Google your designer's name, and if applicable their company's name. Google it with "scam" or "ripoff" in the search.

See if you can find your designer in the appropriate development forums, and/or Sourceforge. Not everyone is active there, but those people who are active in the developer community have good networks of people from whom to draw inspiration and occasionally answers - no one person has ALL the answers. Have they ever given to the community? An example would be "Hey - I wrote this little widget in Java and it's really useful - here's the code." People who go the extra mile and give to the developer community are more likely to go the extra mile for you, and not nickel and dime you to death.

FInally, get a good maintenance contract in place that clearly spells out what sorts of things the developer will fix for free, what the developer may charge for, and what you can do to keep those costs down. Typically bug fixes are free - errors in coding do happen to even the best, and that risk should be borne by the developer. Who refreshes content? If you're going to have a lot of content changes, make sure you have the tools included in your project that will allow you to do as much as possible yourself.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

5th of Mar, 2008

PS - I am not a web designer. I came across this page because I was out researching Heritage Web Solutions for a friend of a friend who is more of a coder than a designer, and was looking for some extra work.