Helzberg Diamonds / poor (or no) customer service

My husband purchased a diamond anniversary band from Helzberg Diamonds while he was on a business trip in New Jersey (Woodbridge). He was told by the sales people that the ring could be resized to any size, as he was unsure of my American ring size (we live in Europe). This misinformation convinced him to go ahead and purchase the ring. It turns out the ring was so big, it could not be resized by a master jeweler here in Germany where we live. We were told the diamonds would probably fall out because of the great size difference. So I called the store manager and explained the situation to her. I told her I would send the ring to her via mail and that I would contact her to discuss next steps, either get it resized or get a new ring in the proper size. After the initial conversation with her, I tried to call her no less than 6 times, and each time she was somehow unavailable or with a customer. Finally, I got so frustrated, I decided to simply get a refund for the ring. I sent it to her and sent a fax telling her to refund my money. This was all done well within the 60 day money back policy touted by Helzberg. As it turned out Cathy Larson, the store manager, refused my package, full well knowing what it was and what I wanted, and the ring came back to me here in Germany, of course with no correspondence as to why. This is the most unprofessional behavior I have ever seen in a merchant, anywhere, any time. I am appalled by this uncalled for, immature, passive aggressive act. I am simply speechless. PLEASE DO NOT EVERY PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM HELZBERG EVER. You will have nothing but problems and unprofessional behavior from them. Save yourself the hassle. Go elsewhere.

Pa

Comments

• Di
      1st of Apr, 2010

I used to work for Helzberg Diamonds in another location. Although you are correct, that was unprofessional behavior on the part of *that* store manager, you can not disregard all of the Helzberg Diamonds stores. We would never have treated a customer in that way in our region, it would have been completely unacceptable and would have done anything on our part to help keep a customer happy. I work for another company now (unfortunately I relocated and there was no Helzberg Diamonds in my new area) and my current jewelry company does not provide the same level of service that we did when I worked at Helzberg. I truly miss it there. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience but one terrible manager does not make the entire chain. As a jewelry sales professional I can give you some insight on how it works, the next step any customer should take if they believe they are getting poor service from the store manager is to contact the regional or district manager. The issue will be resolved that way, and in the case of that particular manager, disciplinary action probably would have been taken against her. Next time, no matter what company it is, contact a higher up. It is your right to be treated the way you should.

• Gl
      28th of Apr, 2010

The manager at Montgomery Mall store in Maryland is worst than that. He thinks he knows everything and treats customers really bad. The bad thing is that when he gets checked up, he blames the employees. He brings friends to the store and things disappear and then the employees are responsible for that. Every body here hates him and we can't do anything to get rid of him. I don't know why they hired people that have so many complaints from another stores where he has worked before. People that used to work with him can tell.

29th of Oct, 2010

Ohhh I know about that. He is very unprofessional. Many times you can see his girlfriend taking care of customers or his daughter playing in the back of the store. He is a poor guy that just want to show off. Well, you can probably tell, he is now selling jewerly in craiglist, go figure...

• St
      3rd of Feb, 2011

Wow I didn't really know about the complaints on that Manager. I took my girlfriend last year to pick a necklace for her birthday and he took care of us. Talking all the time about how good the products were and all that. After she picked the necklace she wanted, he pull me on the side and offered me the same necklace $500.00 less than the price at the store. Of course, I asked him how, and he said that he could get it with his discount and resale it to me. I did not believe that and did not want to get in trouble for getting things that were stolen from the store. We left and bought a very pretty necklace at Zales. He is a thief with a tie and good manners!!!

• Br
      22nd of Nov, 2011

i love this store it is the best ever!!!