Heathrow Airport / lack of information

1 United States

I have just got back from my holidays I departed Bangkok on the 10th of August flight departed roughly on time and although we were due to land at 7.15pm at Heathrow we were actually flying around Heathrow area at 6.40pm. (flight no BS0067). After flying around for some time we were told there was a problem at Heathrow, so were flown to Stanstead which obviously would cause some problem to some passengers more than others, I myself had my son in law waiting for myself and husband at Heathrow.
we were held on the runway for three hours which is really bad considering we had already been on the plane for twelve hours.

Eventually landing back at Heathrow three and half hours later than expected. There was no explanation, nothing on the website to explain why this had happened or what had happened to prevent us landing when we ere obviously there above Heathrow at our alloted time. I went onto Heathrows website to complain and it would not accept my complaint (this is something I have experienced before if you make it difficult for people then they will give up). I have traveled quite a lot and do appreciate that things can and do happen but what I am annoyed with was the fact that there obviously was not a problem the airport just had too many planes to land and could not cope with amount of traffic coming in.
what a terrible way to treat passengers, and a terrible end to a lovely holiday. People can accept things but need the information given to them at an appropriate time in order to accept it.

I would like to know what the problem was if there was one.

Thanks.