Handyman Club of America / unsolicited membership!

1 PO Box 3451Minnetonka, MN, United States Review updated:

I received an unsolicited offer of membership which I did not respond to. Approximately 2 weeks after their first mailing I received a bill for $24.oo for a 2-year subscription/membership. I wrote on the first bill that I had not requested their offer, and to stop their mailings. I have continued to receive billings, and today received a notice threatening collection and damage to my credit rating.

I am mailing my final notice to Handyman Club of America that I did not request their offer and am mailing a copy to my state Attorney General's office.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ge
      19th of Jan, 2008

I was "invited" to test some tools and to become a member and was given a means to accept membership but no way to refuse. i was told that I had been recommended because I was such an outstanding handyman although everyone who knows me knows that I'm the exact opposite. Furthermore, I live in a retirement manor whose staff includes a maintenance crew which handles all minor maintenance tasks.

8th of Feb, 2008

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

• Ws
      11th of Mar, 2008

Call their customer service number @ 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333 and ask to have your subscription canceled.

• Wi
      18th of Mar, 2008

I received an unsolicited subscription. Of course I didn't pay. A few weeks later I received a second bill threatening me with a collection agency if I did not pay for a 2 year subscription @ $24.00 within the next fourteen days. Just when I was going to give in and pay I decided to look into the company a little more. I wasn't surprised to learn others have had the same experience. I think this company buys mailing lists, sends them all a magazine, then a bill, hoping most will just pay. But then uses terror tactics on the rest by means of a collection agency. I too intend to contact my Attorney General.