Complaints & Reviews

scam collections

Every so often I'll receive a call from this company asking if I'm receiving magazines or not and if I'm satisfied with them. EVERY time I respond that I've NEVER signed up to receive them in the first place to which they have no answer . I ask to cancel EVERY time. Recently I received a call from them inquiring whether I still want to cancel to which I again said yes because I didn't sign up in the first place. Then she informed me that they will cancel me only if I pay $495! This company is running a scam and needs to be stopped!

magazine subscription

I want to cancel my subscription. Every time I have called I have been told I have x number of months to...

phone calls every day

They call me every day.
I don't owe them anything. One lady said she had my account information so I ask her to tell me my charge card information she read off some number not mine. Then she said they had my banking Information but I would have to give her the numbers she can't read them to me. I told her that wouldn't work for me. She hung up on me.

magazines

I would like to cancel my subscription to this, please inform me what you need for me to cancel. I find it...

I've not gotten any products

I was called by [protected] about magazine perscriptions and told the total for this month would be $1.95, I...

Unsolicited calls to a number on the federal do not call registry

i was called by a number i cannot call back, was told i had won a ipod touch. i knew it was a scam so i...

Not a good company to get involved with

When I first got a call from them i started up with them at 59.99 per month for 5 years and when i was told...

fraud

These people called and said I had been entered into a sweepstakes. It sounded legit, until they asked for my credit card. I was reluctant, and the guy I was talking to said, there's a customer service card number you can call, I'm 27 with 3 kids, I'm not going to go to jail over magazines. He made a joke and I relaxed, so I was stupid and gave my number to him. I'm sure I'm going to be billed some awful amount, just for being gullible. How do I fix this?

FLBchsCricket Sep 29, 2010

Don't even get ME started! I, too, was duped. But they have started a new tactic...going by 2 names to get you to pay, and showing 2 different totals, hoping you'll be gullible to think, "Oh God, I signed up for 2 of these!" However, when pressed you get the same service date. Hmm.

Lookout not only for National Readers Service but ALSO Midwest Publishers Inc.!

Better yet. Just don't do it! If anyone does a cold call to you tell them to take your name off their list as that is the law. If you are already on the DO NOT CALL list tell them that and that they just broke the law. See who can hang up the fastest then!

Magazine subscription scam

OK, last week I didn't know anything about National Readers Service. After dealing with these people on...

Unable to cancel

So, I made a big mistake and got involved with United Readers Service Inc. It sounded good and I jumped right in. I did not record any phone calls, and I did not keep the paperwork they sent me (big mistake). I am now told that I was given 10 days to cancel my subscription but I remember being told I could cancel at any time. I am now going to be getting magazines and paying $60.00 for another 13 months and then an additional $20 for like 15 months after that. I have tried on several occasions to cancel my subscription but have been told that I am committed to the full amount of money and time. United Readers Service Inc. offered to lower my monthly payment and extend the time but the amount would be the same. I have tried to stop payment through my bank and was told that since I gave up my credit card number, there was nothing they (the bank) could do. I am at a loss for any next step.

1. Don't get into bed with these people.

2. If you have any ideas about how to better deal with this situation, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

• Pe
    peachy19 Oct 12, 2010

Ya know these people DON'T care if someone looses their job and HAS to continue paying
    these payments...SO all of you out there...DON'T do this...The economy is bad enough and they really don't care if you have a job or not...They have made enough money on US...

Scam and fraud

During the month of May, I had received a toll-free call on my cell phone on my way back home from work. I...

Cancel account

..Cecilio Cruz I be calling this company to cancel my account and they be saying that they will call me the...

Debiting Checking Account

They call all the time! We tell them no more subscriptions, yet they send more and more. Stupid magazines come in the mail that we have no interest i! They keep debiting our checking account with random amounts from $11.00 to over $100.00!!! Can't stop them. Tried putting a stop payment on the checks, yet they change the name slightly or city, state, and they continue to go thru!!!

• Ca
    CassieB Jul 20, 2009

So how do I get an "unsubscribe" document to send National Readers?

• D
    D / Aug 15, 2009

Robyn's Mad,
    National Readers Service scammed my 19 year old. Suggestions for dealing with them are on my blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com
    Good luck,
    D/

• Gc
    GClefty Feb 18, 2010

I've had the same problem with NRS. They send me magazines that I have no interest in. I have received calls from them and told them to stop sending the magazines and stop calling. They ignore me and continue to send. I'm trying to call them now and have been on hold 10 minutes. I will be contacting Arizona AG's office Consumer Fraud Division.

• Ra
    Raven02172369 Jul 02, 2010

I am sooo frustrated with this!!! They said I had a "coupon" to buy $1000 worth of stuff. I have not been able to do this. Plus was gonna have to pay S&H on all items chosen.

And everytime I try to call the number they've given to my bank, it is disconnected.

I need my $ back ($49.90/ month for magazines that have ABSOLUTELY no interest to me).

They were very convincing on the phone. Yet, they've not stood by the things which they have told me.

This is SUCH A SCAM!!!

Lookout not only for National Readers Service but ALSO Midwest Publishers Inc.!

Wish I had been the wiser back in March. Still fighting my strategy using the BBB, FTC, State AG, Consumer Affairs, and the list goes on. The more complaints I can file (and print to send to these 2 companies in response to their bully tactics) the better off I hope we will all be in the end. If they took you for a ride, file away too! Thanks D for all your suggestions at your blog! Everybody should go there!

SCAM - Lied about past due account

A couple of years ago I got an unsolicited call from National Readers Service wanting to sell me magazine...

Pressure tactics/will not cancel

After finally talking to someone. they tell me I can't cancel. I explained the situation at the time...

Scam and cheating

Originally this company seemed like a good idea. I pay a flat fee of $64 a month for one year and I get five magazine subscriptions for five years, or so I thought.

I just received a call from them today asking for my updated cc information so they could debit $40 a month for the next 3 years. Not wanting to be reported to a credit bureau, I reluctantly gave in.

Their shipping even stinks for the last year I've only been getting two of the subscriptions that I payed for. And now the want more money?!?!

• Kp
    KPG Apr 20, 2009

Just got a statement for 49.70 for magizines I never recieved, called company to complain and was put on hold for about fifteen m inutes. Was told to hold for supervisor, then told that he would call when he was not busy. I did not order nor did I authorize any subscriptions from this outfit, also advised them I would NOT make any payments to this bill and if I recieved another statement, I would report them as a scammer.

• D
    D / Aug 15, 2009

National Readers Service scammed my 19 year old in June 2009. Specific suggestions for dealing with this scam are on my blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com
    Good luck! D/

jasonw5164 Nov 07, 2010

Is there a way to cancel this so called contract?

Paying for magazines but not getting them

I Subscribed and paid this subscription of 2years ago and canceled the renewal service, with the email they...

Faulty sweepstakes/magazine subscriptions

I get an anonymous phone call from a fairly convincing company that states I've won some sweepstake...

Magazine subscription

Over the summer the company "Readers Club of America" called me to sign up for their magazines, it...