Greyhound / greyhound - trip from hell!

I left Phoenix, AZ Friday, April 6 2007. Arriving at Flagstaff at 3AM, the bus cleaners helped themselves to over $300 from my wallet, which had fallen onto my seat when disembarking in order for the bus to be "serviced". When I protested to staff and driver, police were summoned and told "I was drunk". First, I do not drink. I am a diabetic, and was simply extremely agitated at the indifference of the Greyhound employees at the theft of my money. Second, I was not even allowed to remain in the terminal, and escorted by said police to a $75 motel room that I used for about 5 hours until I would be allowed on the next bus out. (By the way, "public drunkenness" is an arrestable offense in Flagstaff, yet, it seem mighty curious that I wasn't arrested... perhaps the cop gets a kick-back from the motel!).

Much later that day (almost midnight on the 7th), was I "bumped" from an overbooked bus in Amarillo, TX by an extremely abusive and foul-mouthed driver, along with 2 other passengers who were heading to my destination as well (Albany, NY). At this time, the foul-mouthed and abusive baggage handlers refused to remove our luggage, which all 3 of us had actually seen being loaded, and "assured" us that it would be "waiting for us at our destination" (The exact same answer we got the next 7 times we inquired about our bags along the way!). Police were called again, this time by us, and told us that they could do nothing. We waited in an utterly filthy terminal for over 6 hours for a replacement bus. On arrival in Tulsa OK, their filthy terminal's food court was closed and the food vending machines were broken. Since it was Easter Sunday, we were told by employees that absolutely nothing was open anywhere around the terminal to purchase food. Finally (near starvation), when leaving for St. Louis, MO after yet another 6 hour "layover" (bus was over 2 hours late), we passed THREE open food stores within 2 blocks of the terminal! I could go on about the next 4 or 5 stops, but you already have the picture.

Our printed "itineraries" were absolute fiction. Connections were missed, every terminal we stopped at with the exception of Pittsburgh PA was WAY beyond filthy, and all drivers save 2 were at BEST rude. Ticket agents lying, telephones not answered, drivers swearing and abusive, equipment and terminals disgusting and/or breaking down, and an average "layover" time anywhere between 3 to 6 hours at each of the next 7 stops until finally getting to Albany, almost 84 hours after leaving Phoenix on our "joyride".

Upon arrival at Albany, STILL no luggage for the 3 of us, even though by this time it had had 24 hours to arrive AHEAD of us! The customer "service" agent in Albany, NY laconically informed us that: "they usually show up after a few days." Now, over 48 hours after our arrival, still with no luggage, the answer from customer "service" is "Well, I guess you better come in and file a claim". This can be and was done online, whereby you are informed after entering your information that: "You will be notified within 7-14 days"! You get the same disclaimer anywhere ELSE you file information on their website, and there is NO customer "service" page anywhere on that site (nor do they even list a customer "service" telephone number.

I have been a loyal and frequent Greyhound customer for over 40 years, but I can guarantee you that I will NEVER patronize that company again! If I sound a little "agitated", I can assure you that it is because I've been wearing the same clothes for 7 days in a row now; and cannot even afford to replace any, since Greyhound was responsible for "relieving" me of over $375 back in Flagstaff. What I CAN afford however, is to contact the Public Service Commission, the Interstate Commerce Commission and the U.S. Department of Transportation. Greyhound has not only broken customer trust; but along this "trip from hell", I made careful note of at least 20 violations of national transportation law and regulations. "Go Greyhound" apparently means "Go [censored] Yourself"!!!

• Connie Hill's Response, Oct 13, 2018

I have names of some of the people I talked to. And updates on the shipping.

Comments

• Se
      12th of Mar, 2009

Like I said I'm will make sure the Department of transportation will hear my story about these crooks losing my lost luggage 2 years ago.Plus I will expose Greyhound to the mass media about their corrupt lawyers forging fake signatures.The News Media will know all about my lawsuit in NYC.

• To
      3rd of Jan, 2013

Your trip on the Grey Hound sounds a whole lot like mine, only on ours back from AZ the air conditioner malfunctioned resulting in us having to prop the top door open with an empty bottle. I woke up in a thick sweat, while having trouble breathing, to the sound of people around me screaming and tripping over each other. Someone also brought a rifle on (innocently enough), and due to the nature of most of the passengers, I had feared someone may attempt to steal the bus . . It was an "action packed" experience the whole time.

• To
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - The bus never showed up waited an hour around midnight and my son was stranded !!!

had to send uber for my son and pay for a room whats going with grey hound just look at all the complaints wow!! this is not the first issue you guys [censored]en suck!!

• Al
    Greyhound Lines - baggage policy
    Dallas,TX
    greyhound.com

I was told by one of the corporate people that baggage for military members are free then when I talked to another representative they told me only the 1st bag is free then the other bags are $15 each

• Ke
    Greyhound Lines - Ticket#78451176
    Newport News
    Virginia

I am now finding out your company are thieves! I never got on this bus because it didn't show up. I missed my doctor appointment because of this after spending money I needed. Just to be told no refund. You made this my fault for choosing your service.

• St
    Greyhound Lines - the bus

we paid over 600 bucks to ride the bus, we expected to have wifi, too be able to charge our phone and i thought I was going to get to sit next to my husband, but I was all wrong the bus was so nasty the driver can't drive he was so rude. the dog got to sit with its owner why couldn't I sit with my husband the greyhound is pathetic...

• Ro
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - Bus driver
    Modesto
    California
    Greyhound.com

I was catching the bus with my 2 year old grandson on 6/3/2018 in Modesto ca we had to sit outside in the heat of 92 degrees I asked the driver could we sit down he said wait he will board us in a minute we were outside in the heat for 20 minutes i want a full refund and this driver removed as I have health problems

28th of Aug, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - Bus arrivals
    Houston
    Texas

I missed the window of a $20 discount by minutes when I still had to wait an extra hour because the bus was delayed. I spoke with (the manager) about a $20 refund which is fair. He told me that he couldn't do it.
    It seems as if the customer is held to a standard where the establishment is not.

• Ta
      19th of Sep, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - Fraud

Someone used my debit card to purchase a ticket I want my money back

Greyhound Lines - No Wifi or Outlets
    Tacoma
    Washington

On their website it promises free wifi and outlets on the trip. When i arrived they told me there would be neither on my 11 hour bus ride. I assume all of these services are paid for in my bus ticket, and its very irritating to pay for services I dont receive.

• Ge
      15th of Oct, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - Unreliable bus service. Outrageous customer service.
    Dallas
    Texas

Refund return trip ticket fare.
    Conf # 86768316 and
    Conf # 8746884101

• Mi
    Greyhound - broke down bus

Dear greyhound! I'm writing this complaint because my trip from Wausau wi to indianapolis was only supposed to be a 12 hr trip well it turned into almost a 24 hr trip and I'm very annoyed I had a hotel reserved and I didn't even sleep there for the night of 10-8-18 CALL ME

• Co
      22nd of Oct, 2018
    Greyhound Lines - Package Service

I shipped a package to my son in Provo, Utah on October 3, 2018.
    We shipped from Amarillo, TX. When we first tried to ship the gentleman at the desk did not know how to put the information in the computer. We had to go back later when another employee was there.
    After 10 days, and at least 20 phone calls and 2 emails, he finally got the package.