Complaints & Reviews

Customer service

I went to the ticket clerk in penn station on tuesday morning and asked for a off peak 10 tripper. When I went to get the ticket on the train I noticed it was a peak ticket. I asked the conductor what to do and he gave me the info on what to do. Today I go to the massapequa station and it closed earlier than it should have so I go to hicksville. The clerk there said I have to bring it to penn station or get charged $10 to do the paperwork and bring it in.
The long island railroad made the mistake so why should I get charged for their inability to do their job? Does that mean that I can charge you $25 for driving to massapequa that was closed earlier than it should have been then driving to hicksville then driving back home???

Complaint about lirr

I am a customer of the LIRR and am very disappointed and disgusted because today I did not have enough time to get a ticket from the machine so when the conductor came I gave him cash he told me that you have a policy of no cash and I find that unacceptable. Money is a government form of payment in god we trust and I was told that I must use a credit card and I find it ridiculous not to be able to use cash. The LIRR doesn't trust the goverment??? That is how I feel. And if it is an issue with the workers it is not my problem. I feel that one should have the freedom to pay in whatever form they choose.

Service

Unacceptable tonight. Sitting on crowded train waiting to leave Penn to Port Washington. Impossible to socially distance. 4 trains cancelled before this one and made to wait with crowds. Extremely uncomfortable and disgusted at total failure of LIRR to have protocols in place when one disabled train gets stuck in East River tunnel. This is disgraceful.

Good morning

I'm filing a complaint about the trees and garbage behind my back yard fence. There is so much over growth and garbage behind my back yard fence its pushing my fence down. I have pictures. I also have 2 small dogs that can get through the fence because one of the boards has been full push out. The amount of flies from all the garbage makes it hard to enjoy the fresh air because they are constantly in my face. Please contact my or let me know who i should be contacting about this matter.

Thank you in advance for your time. Stay Safe and Well.
Stacy Miller
[protected]

train conductor

Tuesday night April 7th while boarding the 11:15 train to Babylon, I entered in front a few cars yet I always sit in the last few open cars available, While walking to pass through car doors while the train was not moving a female conductor in car 7685 told me to stop. I asked her why I wanted to pass through she replied: "cause I don't want to get sick". I am an essential worker just like her. How is it possible to label me being a sick person? I was wearing a mask as required during this Pandemic, yet I feel she is wrong Biased and Discriminated against me. I will continue to file more complaints until I am contacted and this matter is resolved respectfully.
M Cherry
[protected]@gmail.com

LIRR old Trains

I ride the Far Rockaway line and the LIRR manages to provide us with old trains most of the time. This week along I have ridden the train, 6:57 from Gibson and the 4:42 train home and have had 4 out of the 5 on old trains.

Last week in the morning, we also had old, rundown, dirty, smelly trains and one of the days it was even short cars, This 5:57 train from Gibson makes local stops and because this train was several cars short, it was not only dirty, smelly and disgusting, it smelled from something burning and was excessively crowded.

In the wake of the corona virus, I would think for the price we pay to ride the LIRR, the equipment would be updated and work & we would not be riding on awful, short, trains with tape on every seat and just disgusting.

This has to be fixed. It is not acceptable to pay $ 270 and ride in such a disgusting train. I realize that we are not on a main line and therefore an orphan to the lirr system, but it is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

This needs to be corrected and fixed immediately. Let someone else ride the old shippty trains for awhile, that are so dirty and clearly all of the passengers can see this train does not get cleaned !!!

Conductor/ Assistant Conductor Safety

Good Evening!
I am the Wife of an Assistant Conductor and I am concerned about his safety. I constantly hear stories about violent and irate customers on the Ronkonkoma Branch because customers don't want to pay their fare. I'm sure customers on the other branches might cause issues as well but, due to the fact that the Ronkonkoma branch has been an ongoing problem and there is still no police riding the trains to protect the Conductors or the Assistant Conductors is unacceptable. My husband has been threatened numerous times and just recently a fight broke out and blood was drawn. My husband was threatened and there was a manager on the train. The outcome was, the manager removing the passengers who were in the altercation off the train and no Police were called. My husband wasn't questioned to see if he was ok or hurt in the situation. The train continued to run per usual. Due to the fact that these Conductors and Assistant Conductors aren't allowed to protect themselves in anyway other than if they are Hit first. I believe their should be Police present on every train and especially the Ronkonkoma branch. My husband leaves our home everyday to provide for our family and the company that he loves and works for doesn't protect him. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed. Myself as a wife cannot and will not understand if something happens to my husband on the job for an issue that could have been avoided if their were Police present! I truly hope something is done to help protect the Employees of the Long Island RailRoad

Best Regards
A concerned wife

Long Island Railroad

9:00 am out of Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal has to be backed up and rerouted because of track problems?!?!? Didn't you "solve" all of these problems with the installations and repairs over two or three years ago?!?!?! I am late for a very important meeting and unlike the LIRR, some people actually care about being prompt! The worst service constantly! Terrible!

New York and Atlantic Railway, LIRR contractor

the New York and Atlantic Railway has had a locomotive needlessly idling constantly for 3 days at the Sayville RR yard without moving anything. From Friday 2/21 to present Monday 2/24. It is still running. Besides being a constant source of noise pollution, it is also polluting our air.
There are laws against diesel trucks idling for more than 5 minutes and yet the LIRR allows a much larger engine needlessly to idle for over 72 hours and still running!

I demand a reply.

Profanity & distrust from train employee.

My name is A. Brown. I am a USPS employee at the Bethpage plant. I dont know his name but he was Asian & this was on Sunday on the 6hour morning local from Jamaica to Atlantic terminal. I was going home when I aborted the train I wanted to move to the front to get off at Nostrand Avenue. Before I got up I gave the guy my ticket and told him I will be moving up to the front cart. We even walked through the door together and he let me walk by him and sit down. When he approached me he asked for my ticket again. When I told him I gave it to him already that's when he got loud & disrespectful & treated me like I was Lying. He even said "that's b*******" to me. I explained and he wouldn't listen. I then told him to check the tickets and when he shuffled through them he didn't see my ticket. I Told him it should say Bethpage. I asked to see the tickets. I was able to find it and I showed him my ticket and he asked "that's your ticket?" and I said "yes, I don't know Magic". This was very disrespectful & he treated me like I was & was trying to get a free ride although I constantly told him the process. This is terrible service from that guy & the LIRR family. Unbelievable how foolish a person can get. He hurried past me once he was done feeling crazy.

• Updated by Principal On Wax · Feb 23, 2020

I am a USPS employee at the Bethpage plant. I dont know his name but he was Asian & this was on Sunday, Feb.23 on the 6hour morning local from Jamaica to Atlantic terminal. I was going home when I aborted the train I wanted to move to the front to get off at Nostrand Avenue. Before I got up I gave the guy my ticket and told him I will be moving up to the front cart. We even walked through the door together and he let me walk by him and sit down. When he approached me he asked for my ticket again. When I told him I gave it to him already that's when he got loud & disrespectful & treated me like I was Lying. He even said "that's b*******" to me. I explained and he wouldn't listen. I then told him to check the tickets and when he shuffled through them he didn't see my ticket. I Told him it should say Bethpage. I asked to see the tickets. I was able to find it and I showed him my ticket and he asked "that's your ticket?" and I said "yes, I don't know Magic". This was very disrespectful & he treated me like I was & was trying to get a free ride although I constantly told him the process. This is terrible service from that guy & the LIRR family. Unbelievable how foolish a person can get. He hurried past me once he was done feeling crazy.

poor service

This is Wednesday. Every day this week on the 6:23 out of Deer Park I have had very old train

The ventilation is bad

Every day so for this week ( 3 for 3) the Hester is blowing cold air . It is January 29

I'm addition, every conductor this week (3 for 3) also had the same response. Can you guess what it was?

It was the same . " I am the conductor and I have nothing to do with the cold air"

This morning I am in car 9837. Freezing outside, freezing in car, terrible customer service on every possible level .

While the conductor may not be able to fix it, it's the worst response. Who cgecjs the trains for reliability .

It is your total failure to care that continues to make the LIRR an inferior institution

Plus today it will be late again into Penn Station . You're 3 got 3 on that also

lirr train from kings park to hunters point ave @ 7:14 monday january 27th

Upon arriving at Hunterspoint Ave. there was another train also disembarking. The platform was crowded and passengers in the train had to wait on the train before being able to exit onto the platform. This has happened many times.

As I was exiting the train [slowly] as the platform was crowded the doors closed and struck me hard on the head.

Myself and the other passengers were stuck on the train. One passenger pushed the alert button. We moved to another car, the doors opened and we exited.

I found a conducter to complain. How can you close the doors when passengers are still exitng? He said he didn't close the doors. I asked him ot malke sure whoever did understood what happend. This was not a light head contact.

ticket booth clerk at penn station at 11:16 pm

On january 18, 2020 at about 11:16 pm, the ticket clerk at Penn station refused to help me resolve finding my lost cellular phone. A person found my phone and turned it in to the ticket booth. I arrived at the ticket booth and was told to call my phone by the clerk to verify my phone was there .I called my phone and my apple watch keyed in that it was in the area with gps. Instead of helping the clerk looked me in my eyes and said "Your phone isnt here". The clerk refused to check the office in the back. He was rude and unprofessional. Even at one point stood up in a threating manner yelling and cursing at me as i pleeded with him to look. As well this clerk refused to explain the proper procedures for a lost item. I had to return home knowing that my phone was sitting in the ticket booth because the customer service rep did not feel like helping. Unacceptable!

conductor

Upon waiting on the track East bound to Port 1/18/20 3:22 in the snow with my friend. We were approached with a 7 minute late train. This was fine as it was announced, no surprise.
The train stops up the track. It stops further up the platform then expected. We were waiting right on the platform near the waiting area building outside.
The train stopped, we walked up to the it. This train was stopped no more then 60 seconds (if that). The doors opened and closed and the train left the station. We were left stranded on the platform.
And were faced with waiting for another train 2 hours later or taking a cab to Port Jefferson . We opted for the cab. This after waiting for 20 minutes for this train to arrive! This conductor took zero time to look and I've never seen a train stop and go so quickly! I take the LIRR weekly and have for 30 years.
We are out $37 and hours of time aside from freezing on the snowy platform.
Wake up the conductors please!

no customer service or updated information

On January 16, 2020 I rode the 9:31 pm train to Babylon from Penn Station. I was suppose to leave off the train at Copiague but over slept and arrived in Babylon at Approximately 10:55 pm. The 10:55 pm to Penn Station station was leaving as we arrived. I decided to wait for the 11:27 pm train to Penn Station to go back to Copiague. I went downstairs and returned to the platform at approximately 11:15. The station Platform sign stated the 11:27 pm train to leave from Track 1. There was an empty train on Track 3 with some doors on train OPEN and dim lights in some of the cars, the 11:38 pm Electric Locomotive on Track 2 boarding headed East to I believe to Speonk. I sat on the Electric Locomotive awaiting the train for Track 1 to Penn Station. At approximately 11:27 pm no train had pulled into the station on Track 1 to depart at 11:27 pm. At approximately 11:29 pm, an arriving train from Penn Station/Brooklyn pulled into station from Track 3 to Track 1. I boarded the train believing it was the 11:27 pm train headed to Penn Station the doors had closed. A few moments later a conductor walking the train car stated the train was not in service. He let I and another passenger off the train. I and the passenger walked back and forth Track 1 to Track 3 looking for the 11:27 train looking at the station Platform sign for any changes. At approximately 11:31 pm, A couple of minutes later an employee walked by, I caught his attention to ask about the 11;27 TRAIN. He didn't know but said he would try to assist with the question. We walked to the front of the platform up to a Control Booth with approximately 4 employees sitting inside. When he inquired for me these employees looked at each other in amazement and one of them stated the train is on Track 3 which at time the train was in motion pulling out the station with no destination Sign and then after my last look at the last two cars the Destination sign changed to PENN STATION while leaving the Babylon Station. There were no Station ANNOUNCEMENTS of a Track change nor did the Conductor on the departing train on Track 3 make ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS prior to departure. I had to take the 11:56 pm train back to Copiague.

advertising

I could complain about thre service but there are more than enough people doing that already with no improvements. This one is easy. This is a pet peeve of mine-grammar. Was there no editing for these LIRR hero ads? It irks me every time I see one. Maybe it just speaks to the sad state of our educational system compared to other countries. You can be "an" LIRR hero? Really? Nobody caught this? The word an is only used when the following word starts with a vowel people.

advertising

more trains needed on far rockaway line!!!

This is what the 6:02 from Penn looks like every night!!! I would have taken a better shot, BUT I AM JAMBED IN THIS CAR!!! Eight cars for this rush hour train is completely unacceptable and you risk violence among riders as confrontations break out almost all of the time as a result of complete overcrowding. Not to mention, the negligently dangerous condition you create! More cars and additional trains are needed before something terrible happens.

more trains needed on far rockaway line!!!

machine ate my ticket

Hello, on Jan 5th I bought a metro card, an o/w airtrain tkt and a o/w off peak Jamaica/Hicksville ticket for $15.00. Upon exiting the airtrain in Jamaica, the machine ate my ticket. I went thru the turnstile anyway but had to purchase another Jamaica/Hicksville ticket for $7.50. I would like a refund for the 2nd Jamaica/Hicksville ticket. AND, after traveling from Madrid with a large suitcase, the door of the car I was in did not open In Hicksville and I had to get off at the next stop in Bethpage. EXTEMELY UPSETTING. Thank you, Allison Fox

waiting booth up on platform

This morning there was a homeless person who was sleeping in the waiting booth up on the platform of the...

conductor blowing the train whistle excessively and loud at 5:30am

I live in Southold and the train goes by around 5:30 am and the whistle is blown so loud and excessively it is highly disturbing at this time in the morning - i can also hear the whistle for 15 mins still being blown. In the past the whistle was blown much softer and a shorter time each time. I work evening shift as a nurse and honestly this is so disturbingly loud I jump for the ten minutes I hear this in the morning until it gets a little further away. It is rude. I am tired . Very little activity on the tracks on the North Fork at this hour. Why so freaking loud now and rude ? For years I have lived here and the previous conductor was thoughtful-it was short and not as loud- Now there must be a new person within the past year and a half - this sounds like he/she wants to wake everyone. People are trying to sleep.
Sleep deprived and angry nurse in Southold.