Greendot Help Foundation / Received check for grant loan

Received a check today 12/08/10 in the amount of $965.94. The check came to me at my maiden name (maiden name is Hume) and also in the script, said "could use a little financial aid Hume Hume". It states it's a "CHAHIER'S CHECK" for the above stated amount and that if I cash the check, I am to pay $401.00 to a Vicki Marshall via Greendot Moneypak prepaid cards. Also the letter with the check states that if I fail to not pay after cashing the check within 5 days (doesn't state calendar or business), then my name will be sent to the credit bureau and will report negative marks on my report and that I will have to pay back the entire amount of $965.94. If after I cashed the check and paid Ms. Marshall, I would receive a check for a grant loan (double negative, right), for $9035.00 to total of $10, 000.00. I know a little about grants and know that you don't have to pay them back and you shouldn't have to pay money to get money (from what I have learned about online lotteries and from playing PCH.com). Especially since the Cashiers check is misspelled. Big red flag. I will be keeping the letter/check so I might send it to someone if needed to be able to file charges or need evidence.

Comments

• Mb
      9th of Dec, 2010

I recieved same check yesterday, signed a Michael Andruos and at end of the letter was signed by a Vickie Marshall. I am sure happy i did research on the internet on this . I will be keeping the whole check too ( and envalope w/ the post mark),
    so if its needed to press charges i will be happy to help.

• Do
      27th of Dec, 2010

I received a check in the amount of 936.27 from a Vickie marshal claiming to be an independent grant broker with the greendot help foundation. Check is no good of course.
    But they are scamming people all over the country, and need to be stop. The envelope that the check came in, has no return address on it, and they used a Purple heart stamp on it. This is also MAIL FRAUD. Still trying to find out who they are for sure. so what ever you do. Do not deposit the check that you get. it is a Cashiers cheque. from KEY BANK Corp.

My bank call the KEY BANK CORP. and they are all Bogus checks. We need to try to stop them.
    my email is doueboy@gmail.com if you care to write.

• Ha
      28th of Dec, 2010

They are getting better, recevied the same offer today however my check is an "Official Check" not a cashiers check but the instruction letter has several typos in it. They do need to be stopped because someone is going to fall for this if they haven't already. Any ideas on who to file a complaint with???

29th of Dec, 2010

samuel Sumo Tiepmo
    How can we stop this scam. I recevied the same offer. my Email stiepmo@yahoo.com