Grand Canyon University / financial aid/disbursement problems

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

I have been attending GCU since 2008 and completed my Master's degree within their program. But I too have recently experienced problems with the posting of financial aid and the disbursement of excess funds. It is very irritating to constantly have to look at my financial aid to see if it has posted. There is no communication if there is a problem! You have to be on watch and drag answers out of your financial aid advisor. I enrolled in the Docotral program because of a good experience with the Masters. I am seriously considering going somewhere else at this point. These "Upgrades" in the system have caused more headaches. I am in the 6 week of my current class and my funds still have not posted to my account. I was told that they should have posted back on the 19th of September. After leaving messages and sending emails to my counselor-I have no resolution. This is so emotionally draining. I received my BA and a Masters from another institustion and never had an issue with financial aid. In fact, we received all aid BEFORE classes were taken. So I know that they have received the funding from the government. Trying to complete coursework while worrying if your tutition is paid is too stressful. I have invested time and money (hey I do have to pay this back)! But I feel I am constantly getting the runaround. I just want consistency and truthful, straightforward answers. Not a constant call me back in a week! Just post my aid and I will make sure I do what I need in the classroom. I will begin searching for other programs-I'm tired.

Comments

• Gc
      27th of Sep, 2010

Hi GCUDoctoralStudent,

Kindly contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist you in resolving this issue. I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced to date.

Many Thanks,

• Dh
      28th of Sep, 2010

I've had the same problem. I'm just so tired of it. Semester after semester it's the same thing. And now that they've "upgraded" the system they use, it's even worse. I, too, am in the sixth week of this semester without any sign of the aid. My counselor is very nice but this is just ridiculous. Other colleges give you your aid on the first day of classes. Why is it so difficult with GCU???? Day after day I check my account and still nothing. This is my last class for my master's degree but I think I'll look to another school to complete my student teaching. I just can't take this anymore! =(

28th of Sep, 2010

Hello dhec34,

If you'll kindly contact me personally as well I'd be happy to do all I can to help you resolve this situation. I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

Many Thanks,

30th of Sep, 2010

The issue was resolved; hopefully the next financial aid period will be with no issues. I'll keep everyone posted! Best wishes.

• Ne
      19th of Sep, 2017

@gcudoctoralstudent how long did it take I am currently attending this university and have the same issues very stressful

• Je
      6th of Oct, 2010

I also am having tons of problems. I started school in 2008 thru GCU, and am working on my Bachelor's Degree in Communications with a minor in Public Relations. I have found that my counselor enrolled me in many classes I did not necessarily need. I've also found that the course catelog from when I started until now, has changed and although I am actually over the credits I need for my COMM degree, they have me enrolled in classes clear into next Spring. I was supposed to be on a fast track program to finish as quickly as possible, and it seems they will let me keep taking classes as long as the money keeps going. I at at 121 credits, with no end in site for my Bachelor's Degree.

Now they want to strip my 31 credits from my MILITARY SERVICE away from me, when they were on my transcripts. They claim they are no long good, when all I am using them for is elective credits anyway. My core is complete. One of the biggest things that sold me on GCU was it's military friendly.

So here I am sitting at 121 credits, fresh classes are supposed to start Monday, no one at that GOD FORSAKEN SCHOOL will return any of my calls or emails all the way up to the DEAN of the Liberal Arts School, and I don't know what I am supposed to do. I do not want to take more classes that I do not need. If I stop classes, it messes up my GI Bill... and no one there cares at all. I would never recommend this school, and if it continues, I will be going to the news and blasting them on every website possible that they are indeed not MILITARY OR VETERAN FRIENDLY, and that their online program is a scam.

6th of Oct, 2010

Hi Jenna,

Would you kindly contact me directly and I'll ensure that someone in senior management is advised of your situation.

• Go
      11th of Jan, 2011

Wow, the statements made above are alarming. I feel as though everyone else has described my situation. I have had nothing but stress and empty promises from this school. I have attended other schools and am very familiar with the financial aid process. My experiance with GCU has led me to believe no one there know's what they are talking about or they are a bunch of liars. It is either one or the other. I have pleaded for assistance from them but never get anywhere. I will now be going on as many complaint boards I can find online to make sure everyone knows what a scam this school is !

11th of Jan, 2011

Hello,

Would you kindly contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist you in resolving the issues listed above? I can be reached at robyn.itule@gcu.edu.

Thanks!

• Go
      12th of Jan, 2011

To GCU:
    What can you do to further assit me ? I have gone down this road and have gotten nowhere. It's just a waste of my time and a let down that someone will help. I is t kind of disappointing that you would respond so quickly to my complaint on here but you have not answered my emails. Your offer of assistance is not geniune . It's just GCU trying to do damage control, unfortunatly it's too late !

12th of Jan, 2011

Hello,

I received an email last night at 8:48pm Arizona time. With all GCU offices now open, I have brought that email to the attention of our Student Resolutions Team and someone will be contacting you shortly with regards to that email.

Thanks!

29th of Jan, 2011

I have experience the same problem that all the other students have described. Since GCU changed over to the new system. Thus far I received two refunds one in August and another in November; I started my second Master program on June 24th. I have had to contact the financial aid department continuously. To make matter worse, I just started receiving letters and emails stated that my loans are due. Needless to say I was shocked, since I completed my 1st Master in May 2010. I have been in school since June 24th. I was told the matter would be corrected, but the letters keep coming. I do not want my financial aid or my ability to complete my education messed up. I have requested a hard copy of all communication to the providers for my records, a simple fact that should be done without asking. This along with the other issues must be corrected. As a consumer I should be able to view my disbursement amount and date on line. I should not have to continuously call my advisor. After the numerous emails, about my financial aid disbursement; to receive a letter requesting payments was the icing on the cake. To find out that the providers were not informed that I am in school set off numerous warning signs. I have talked with the financial aid director who promised to correct this matter, as of this date the letters continue .

29th of Jan, 2011

For-Profit University Agrees to Pay $5.2M For Alleged False Claims Act Violations
    by fraudblawg on August 19, 2010
    Whistleblower claims that for-profit online universities have employed illegal and misleading marketing practices have prompted Grand Canyon Education Inc., to pay $5.2 million, the company announced Wednesday. According to the allegations in the qui tam action, Grand Canyon wrongly paid its recruiters incentives causing them to make false promises to students and ultimately causing the federal government to waste millions of dollars in financial assistance that will never be recouped. Busisnessweek reports that:
    Lawmakers have criticized aggressive marketing practices and allegedly misleading conduct by recruitment counselors in the for-profit education industry. Since 1992, it has been illegal in most cases for schools getting federal financial aid to compensate recruiters based on how many students they get enrolled. A rule proposed by the DOE this summer would eliminate the remaining exceptions.
    The qui tam whistleblower award could be as much as $1, 300, 000. To report false claims involving government programs, contact Frohsin & Barger.

Hello ConsumerGCUStudent,

If you'll kindly contact me directly at robyn.itule@gcu.edu, I'd be happy to assist you in regards to the matter you detailed above.

Thanks so much for reaching out to me.

• Be
      16th of Dec, 2011

I am having the same issues with GCU. I have been attending since July 2010 and have never received a disbursement check without having to call every day. My GCU retention credit NEVER credits to my account without my having to call and now I am on the 2 payment period of my academic year as of December 12. Up until now my award letter (online, since they don;t actually send you one in the mail like any other college I have ever attended) has stated that my next disbursement date was December 12. Now, all of the sudden, it has changed to say December 26. I called my financial aid officer who told me that he does not know why it would have ever said December 12 because disbursement dates never happen on the first day of class. Then, proceeded to tell me that I needed to call the lender to find out why they had December 12 listed as the date and now changed it. I advised him that I spoke to the lender on December 12 and they said that the school determines the disbursement date. He continued to say "I don't know why they said that, they determine the disbursement date". I have never in my life been told that they lender determines the award letter information and the disbursement date. If that was the case why does the award letter not come from the lender? Why does it come from GCU and is only available online at GCU's student portal? The only answer I can ever get from them is it will be about 2 weeks or "I don't know". It is so frustrating! I am doing what I need to do and GCU needs to hold up their end of the deal. I have 4 kids and I use the stipends from my financial aid funds in order to supplement the income in my home so I can go to school. But, when you have not even somewhat of a specific time frame as to when you expect anything from the school it make it that much harder to do. I am very close to dropping out of GCU and going to another school because of these issues. It just really sucks because GCU is a good school besides the fact that they give students the run around when it comes to their financial aid. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law attend GCU right now too and they have many of the same issues. Maybe, GCU can get their act together eventually.

16th of Dec, 2011

Hello beyondaggrevated,

We'd be happy to assist you as well. Please contact the Student Resolution Team directly by emailing resolutionteam@gcu.edu or calling 602-639-8035 with the details of your issue and someone will reach out to you via phone or email within one business day. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your issue.

Also, feel free to pass this contact information on to the others you indicated may require some resolution assistance, as we'd like to be of assistance to them too.

• To
      9th of Sep, 2013

Hi GCU, why does it take you all so long to process the financial aid disbursement, when other universities and colleges process their financial the same school begin. Maybe you all need to find out how other universities are doing, so that you all can be more proficient as well. This will help with student moral.

• To
      9th of Sep, 2013

Another school year and the same problems. When will these problems be fixed, how long will it be before the school address the issues of financial aid disbursement? There are students who can't afford to pay for their book before classes begin, and when the financial aid is delaid, it put more pressure on the students. Is there any way that there issues can be resolved.

• Do
      1st of Oct, 2013

This issues around disbursements of financial aid is very disturbing as a student. My financial was supposedly was packed on Sept 17, 2013 However, I was told early that it would be packed by the second week of my course. So weeks behind on packaging now I am entering into week 6 of my class and nothing has posted to my account. I was given the reason that the government had not disbursed the funds yet. However, many of my friends and colleague of other colleges/universities have already received their email or letter stating monies have been disbursed.

Come on GCU! Your students are demanding that you fix this ongoing problem and not just give us a band-aid solution.
    You cant have classes that talk about how to address a problem and haven't mastered the skill set in your line of work. The financial aid office need to get the led out and those who supervise academic counselor need to make sure they are getting back to their students who they are supporting through this journey.

As a paying student who is actually making it possible for these office to exist should put a lot more effort or emphasis into how they will move forward in successfully supporting its students. And a final note to the online programs, there are instructors who are very cold and insensitive and need to take a step back and put themselves in a students shoes as we juggle life, school and work all at the same time. And if you (instructor) are going to put your office hours up on the website for your students to see along with your contact number than expect that your students will reach out to you via phone and not always through the individual forum.

Respectfully,
    GCU Commencement Bound

• Te
      2nd of Jul, 2014

Same here...this has been ongoing since I began and strange things occur when there is a personal problem; something I do not want to get in to right now but disturbing.

29th of Jul, 2014

Oh wow!!! Now I am very concerned. I looked for information on GCU and other online colleges for months and I only found good things until today... Of course, after I have applied and gotten everything in order. This is extremely alarming. I didn't have many options as I am a working mother of three, but I am really crossing fingers now.
    Concerned Soon to Be GCU Student