[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / warning - fabricated damage claims to take your money - avoid this company

5 Spain, United Kingdom Review updated:

Upon collection of the hire car from Alicante airport I was informed the car was in perfect condition. When I checked it there were clearly signs of damage. I alerted the Goldcar representative and highlighted the issues identified. She recorded the main one, a rather large dent in the drivers door, took a photo and amended the hire sheet (attached). She stated any other issues were not of interest and would not be recorded - and gestured to anything under 2" in length.
Upon return of the car the keys were passed to the assistant who simply wanted to know which bay the car was parked in. There were several customers returning cars at this time and I was told clearly that they had no time to inspect the car with me, but everything was 'fine'. The Goldcar receiving representatives were clearly not interested in making the effort to check the returning vehicles.
Subsequently I received a credit card charge for over Euro 600 for 'damages' that Goldcar claim were made during the period of the hire. This is complete fabrication. The 'damages' were clearly present before we took the car, the images of supposed damages are poor and we have no way of knowing if they were made after we returned the car, potentially by GoldCar employees.
I am sure this practice must be illegal under European Law as it is equal to theft. I hire many cars but have never experienced such underhand and deceitful behavior from a car hire company.
I note that the GoldCar CEO publicly announced in the Guardian on the 16th May 2016 that he was intent on eliminating such bad practice within the company. It looks like he is failing in this objective.
I have written to GoldCar, with documentary evidence of the corrected hire documentation (their documentation) and after an initial acknowledgement they are now not even responding. It appears legal recourse may be required to bring this company in line.
Date of hire: 11 Feb 17 to 18 Feb 17.
Reference: 1183233 / Bono Agencia: [protected]
Re: GAP Comentario : 1183233 / Bono Agencia: [protected] th d

Copy of correspondence as below:

simon king 1 Mar at 8:28 PM
To
Customer Services
Message body
Dear Tania, Gold Car,

Since my last communication on this issue I have not received a reply from you.

I require you to acknowledge receipt and to cancel your incorrect charge with immediate effect. Failure to do so will result in further action.

Yours sincerely,

Simon King

From: simon king
To: Customer Services
Sent: Sunday, 26 February 2017, 10:39
Subject: Re: GAP Comentario : 1183233 / Bono Agencia: [protected] th d

Dear Tania,

You are missing the fact that we identified issues with the car when we collected it from your depot, but your customer service assistant was only interested in recording the largest area of damage - please confirm that you have a record of this adjustment to the hire conditions upon collection. This was photographed and recorded and I signed to confirm. Again, you need to note that YOU did not want to bother with any other 'small' issues on the car (the gesture was anything under 2" or 50mm). I will also state for the record that YOUR customer service agent did not check the car upon return.

The damage you indicate was not sustained during my rental period with the car - it was clearly already on the car when we collected it. Your initial rental sheet indicated no damage, which was clearly inaccurate - identified at the point of collection.

I have attached the amended hire document which clearly illustrates the point of damage that your customer service representative was prepared to recognize, for which we issued a new report sheet and I signed. You need to consider that the car was 'perfect' on your report before I inspected the car. It was clearly far from perfect. The other 'marks' you have stated were not of interest to your service representative - so it is not applicable that you should try to charge me for the damage. As stated, I am certain this is illegal.

Therefore your attempt to charge me for such damage is completely false and not acceptable.

I require you to confirm, by return, that you have on record my adjustment to the hire of the car indiating damage upon collection. I also require you to confirm that you will be reversing this charge with immediate effect.

Yours sincerely
Simon King

From: Customer Services
To: "[protected]@yahoo.co.uk"
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017, 12:14
Subject: GAP Comentario : 1183233 / Bono Agencia: [protected] th d

Dear Customer,
First of all, we would like to thank you for getting in contact with us and for your comments regarding your car hire experience with us. Your opinion is important for us and helps us improve our services.
You have requested a clarification of a charge made to you. After reviewing your rental agreement, we wish to confirm that the charge of €590 that you refer to, corresponds to bodywork damage, detected in the vehicle, during a check carried out when it was returned.
After checking all the documentation relating to your case, we have verified that the charge issued is correct, as set out in the terms and conditions of your rental agreement. Therefore, this amount cannot be reimbursed.
Please find attached the inspection sheet for vehicle when it was collected, and on which you can verify that the damage corresponding to the charge, was not indicated, and, was therefore sustained during your rental period.
For more information about our services and conditions, you can visit our online help service at www.goldcarhelp.com. Likewise, we are at your disposal to resolve any query you may have.
Thank you for trusting Goldcar for your car hire needs.
Regards,
Tania

The stated damages were not incurred during my rental of this vehicle. Upon pick up I was told it was in perfect condition. When I checked it I found damage to the vehicle. The Goldcar office made an adjustment for the largest damage and issued a new hire document. This should be on your records. They were not interested to record ''small'' damages already on the car.. Upon return, the Goldcar representative was too busy to check the vehicle again with me (several people were returning cars at the same time). There was NO damage made to the vehicle during my hire and I expect a full credit to my account. I believe this action is illegal and I will take appropriate measure to reclaim my money.

Customer Services

Ctra. Valencia N332 Km 115 - Edificio Goldcar
03550 - San Juan San Juan
Tel: [protected] Ext: Móvil: Fax:
[protected]@goldcar.com www.goldcar.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
--Este mensaje (y cualquier archivo asociado) está destinado única y exclusivamente para su destinatario y puede contener información confidencial, sujeta a copyright o constituir un secreto comercial. Si usted no es dicho destinatario se le avisa mediante este mensaje que cualquier difusión, copia o distribución de este mensaje, o de los archivos asociados con este mensaje, está estrictamente prohibida. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor avísenos inmediatamente mediante la respuesta a este mensaje y elimínelo de su sistema. Cualquier punto de vista u opinión presentada es exclusivamente del autor y no representan necesariamente las de la empresa. Si no desea recibir más correos electrónicos de carácter comercial, háganoslo saber enviando un correo a [protected]@goldcar.com .
-This message (and any associated files) is intended only and exclusively for the addressee and may contain confidential information, subject to copyright or constitute a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this message and delete it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. If you do not wish to receive more commercial emails, please let us know by sending an mail to [protected]@goldcar.com.

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Mar 14, 2017

Dear Sergio,
    Thank you for your observations.
    On the issues you described, I have checked that you already talked with our Customer Service department but they considered the damage found on the car to be new.
    As you may know, our policy establishes that if when the car is returned we found any damage that wasn’t marked on the check out sheet we give our customers when they pick up the vehicle, it would be charged to them as we understand that this damage was made under their responsibility.
    I’m afraid that, if you weren’t able to demonstrate the damages were already on the car, there’s anything else we can do about this matter now.
    Kind regards,
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar Representative.

Si
Mar 3, 2017

Comments

• Ag
      19th of Feb, 2019

I have a similar situation. How did your case end?