[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / excess insurance

San Javier, Spain

Booking :[protected]
San Javier Airport 17.9.17

I did not want to purchase Goldcar insurance as I already had a policy to cover it.Whilst paying with my credit card to "block"the excess I was told the credit card machine would not work with signature and was unable to use it.
I then had to pay a further €370 on my debit card which would work with signature.
I had booked a peugeot 208 or similar but was given a car with a smaller boot space, which was not large enough to hold my babies pushchair. I returned to the desk to request a change to another card and was told it would cost me a further €150 to do this. €150 ??
I was then told that the credit card machine was now working but it was not possible to refund payment to my debit card and take payment from credit card.Clearly this is Goldcar misusing the credit card system. It is not my fault that your machine was not working for the precise moment I needed to use it.Goldcar told lies over it's ability to process my payment. There was no problem with my card. You used it as an excuse to make me have to take your insurance.I am now on holiday for two weeks in a car which is not suitable for two babies and there is insufficient room for two car seats and a buggy.
I would now demand that you refund this excess charge.I fully intend to take this matter further.I have my own insurance.Your ridiculous hard sell and totally unhelpful attitude has ruined a holiday that has taken me over a year to save for.

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Sep 21, 2017

Dear customer,

Thanks for reviewing your experience with us. We are working really hard to improve our services.

After reading your message very carefully, we want to inform you how our insurance policies work.

When our customer arrives to our office without having booked an insurance, we always offer our Super Relax coverage, which covers any of the possible damages that might suffer the vehicle during your rental. If you're not interested in booking an insurance, because you already have one with another company (or you are just sure that your car will not suffer any damages), we offer you the possibility of leaving a deposit of 1100€ or more (depending on the group your car belongs) to cover the franchise if something went wrong.

You explained that you had an insurance with a private company, which is totally acceptable. However, what this insurance does, is covering the 1100€ (or more) that you leave as a deposit when arriving to our office. That's the reason why you had to choose one of the alternatives we offered you.

What's more, Goldcar only accepts payments with credit or debit cards from the owner of the contract/reservation. Unfortunately, payment in cash or wire transfer for rental vehicles is not accepted.

The following cards are accepted: VISA and MasterCard/Maestro.

Goldcar accepts payments with VISA and MasterCard/Maestro cards. Other forms of payment are not accepted, for example, wire transfer or cash.

In regards to the baby seat, please let us explain that initial prices on our website are for basic rentals. Then, our customers are free to add as many services as they need, with the consequent increase of the price. But it any case the decision of adding an extra depends only on them.

Also I would like to tell you our prices and conditions are clearly detailed during the booking process as well as in Terms & Conditions our clients accept.

Kind regards,