General Motors / gmac acadia blown engine

1 Wilmington, DE, United States

We own a 2009 GMAC Acadia which we purchased new in 2009. Since that date I had to retire due to disability from six spinal surgeries and my Wife suffered a mini stroke. We both drive GM products as we have done for 40 years. My Wife has the 2009 Acadia and I drive a Chevy Tahoe. The day before Christmas we suffered a catastrophic engine failure on the Acadia.
My daughter had borrowed the car to pick up some tile for a home renovation when I received call from her. She told me the car ran really rough and she had pulled into a Pep Boys that happened to be right there. We had the car in a Pep Boys just three weeks prior for a failed ignition coil so at that time we did a oil change and spark plug change and tune up. She was thinking they did or didn't do something. I pulled the receipt sent it to her and waited. She called back and said the engine was seized which I couldn't believe with only 80K miles on it. It turned out to be true. This causes a real problem for us now since we are both living on Social Security with medical problems and high medical expenses. I had to do something to remove the car so I called down to the shop I had sold with my trucking company when I retired. Gary Merrit from Universal Fleet service [protected]) agreed to let me have it towed there.
One of the mechanics had a suspicion that the timing chain had stretched and dug into the motor to find out. He said it was a common problem with Acadia's model year 2012 and before .He thought there should have been a recall. He was right. He found the timing chain had stretched and broke a piston and found pieces of both in the oil pan. They called Nucar Chevrolet in New Castle Delaware and found a new GM Crate motor for $3, 900. It might as well be 39 million at this time.
Since it is and was a common problem with this motor I am asking for some help on the price of the motor. I can understand why there was not a recall due to the amount of cars with this engine out there, but if there was a service bulletin on the issue I could have done preventive service even though it would have been costly it would have been cheaper then a new motor. We have been loyal GM customers for the last 40 years and always trusted GM products. This could not have happened to us at a worse time from a financial standpoint. Any help GM could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Fred Martin