Geico / claim

Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

On December 2, 2016 I was driving on the Left north bound lane on US1. Still going north bound, I see a car who was on the south bound left turning lane on US1 waiting for the traffic to clear so he could make a left turn. All of a sudden he makes the left turn as I was approaching I am assuming because he thought he could squeeze through the oncoming traffic. I slam on my brakes to stop as safe as possible but he could not complete his turn because a car that was on the right south bound lane was stopped. Because he jumped in front of my car, there was not enough time to stop and I hit his right back quarter panel. He stayed at the scene of the accident and we both waited for a police officer to come. When the police officer arrived we both told him what happened and he acknowledged it was his fault and the officer sited him with the accident. The officer said it was very clear it was HIS fault. A few days later Geico calls me to take my statement and I told them the details. A few days later Geico informed me in THEIR opinion we had shared liability because I should have had time to stop even though he jumped in front of my car. They only want to pay 10% of my damages. I don’t want to accept this because he was found 100% liable by law enforcement. Why is Geico taking it upon themselves to state in their opinion how they feel and only compensate me 10%. Either I was liable or I wasn’t but it is unethical to do this to a person a further more a client of theirs. I also have Geico insurance and I will be cancelling the insurance because it is very clear to me that Geico is out to take advantage of their clients. I want my car damages paid at 100% because I was not at fault. I don’t think this is a unfair request. It is unfair how I am being treated. I expect Geico to make this right.

Er
Jan 12, 2017

Comments

• Wi
      12th of Jan, 2017

Sticky situation when you both have the same insurance. Generally your insurance wants the other insurance to pay to prevent your rate from increasing. Since you both have the same company, 'his' insurance is doing what they would if you had separate insurance. They are fighting for 'their' client, as they should. Now, since you also have Geico, what you need to to do is file a claim, with the police report showing clear fault, and demand that they pay out 'his' responsibility on the claim.

Claims like this are always either low balled or denied at the onset. You have to negotiate, and demand that your insurance protect and fight for you, as they would if the other party had a separate insurer..

• Tp
      19th of Jan, 2017

Geico is gull of BS very saf company I'm going thru something very similar they pretty much told me that I was 15% responsible even though the police report stated he was at fault...something has to be done to this company because they are doing this yo alot of people