Menu
GEICO
reviews & complaints

GEICO
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

515 complaints
68 resolved 447 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of GEICO. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
9:08 pm EDT

GEICO - customer service and billing

I've been a Geico customer for roughly a decade, and their service has become progressively more and more rotten. I only had filed three claims since I signed up with them-one was a result of a deer hit in New York, and another was a request for a windshield replacement due to a rock strike (I was led to believe that Geico offered windshield replacement at no extra cost, similar to other insurance companies in my area), and a third was a motorcycle accident where I got hit by a semi-literally, and was fortunate to survive.
The first time I filed a claim wasn't all that bad. It only took three days for them to complete the initial investigation. I was surprised, however, when some upstart, stuck-up, rude little snot called me as part of a "follow up" and requested that I surrender the carcass (I am being serious as a heart attack with this) to the company for "examination" and to "confirm that [I] didn't hit another car and leave the scene. Now, by this time the deer carcass had most likely become rancid. I offered to retrieve the carcass, but I wasn't certain if the postal system frowned upon shipping decomposed animal corpses through their system. The aforementioned upstart snotbag shot back "there's no reason to be rude, buddy, " (called a PAYING CUSTOMER "buddy"), "just do what I tell you and you MIGHT get paid for the damage to your vehicle." Three weeks after filing a formal complaint with the higher-ups within the company, I finally got my check.
In 2009, I was in a very serious motorcycle accident and sustained nine broken bones. My motorcycle was completely destroyed. The "claims adjuster" I called proceeded to interrogate me (on and off for three days) over the phone when I was hooked up to a heart monitor and being given every painkiller (including Percocet, oxycontin, phentanyl, morpheine, vicodin and cumadin. On the first occasion, I was asked if I was on medication. I gave her the list of meds. "I know you're lying about that", the woman said "because if you were hit by a truck, you'd be dead, and if you were on that many pain meds, they'd probably conflict and you'd be dead. You're trying to lie to your insurance." Fortunately, my doctor was nearby and had the heart to spend 45 minutes ripping the claims adjuster an additional orifice. I was then accused of staging the accident to collect a claim for a bike I owed money on- I in fact owned the bike outright. I was, in the end, deposed without an attorney present while still being medicated. I was then accused of not making any sense during the deposition. The adjuster didn't even bother to take a look at the remains of the bike.
In 2015, after being told that my policy included free windshield replacement (perhaps by some lying, commission-hungry sales slob), I filed a claim to have my windshield replaced. The long and the short of it is that Geico wanted me to pay them $500 to install the windshield, and even then I "should expect to pay for any additional charges if the windshield isn't installed properly, which, given the company (the adjuster was referring me to), it won't be." I had the windshield installed for $100. Geico tried to steal $400 from me to have a windshield installed.
Then, four months after this happened, Geico tried to double-bill me, to cover the cost of a current month of insurance (which wasn't even due for 2 weeks by the time the notice had arrived) and for the first month of the NEXT policy period. After I had already called to cancel the premium, all I got was "we'll make a note of that, thanks!" and, voila, THREE WEEKS AFTER THE POLICY WAS CANCELLED, GEICO IS TRYING TO CHARGE ME $108 FOR A MONTHLY PREMIUM OF INSURANCE I DON'T HAVE AND SURE AS HECK DON'T WANT.
I'd rather drop dead of starvation during the coldest part of winter in an open-air a North Korean prison cell than spend another dime paying for insurance with this gaggle of con artists.

3:57 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

GEICO - unable to get ahold of a rep in claims department

I've been trying to reach someone in claims department and no one seem to not want to answer the phone. Ever scene I got an auto policy geico has been a big headache. I'm going to switch insurance companies! GEICO needs to go out of business!

D
1:50 pm EST

GEICO - theft of property indirectly by geico

I was involved in an accident on i94 (Michigan). My vehicle was the only vehicle in the incident, it sustained front and rear damage. I have a dash cam and reviewing the incident it is obvious that it was simple bad luck that I hit a patch of black ice. But that wasn't the issue, in fact the Geico lady to whom I spoke was very professional and very kind (I'm sure that it is part of the training but nevertheless it was welcomed). Sadly the good part ends there. I was recommended to take my car to CDE in Canton Michigan, a drive (in the damaged vehicle) of some 40 miles, however, I was assured that by doing so I would be in a better position to have the damage estimate taken care of quicker and it would be done in one place.
When I arrived I was told that I wasn't scheduled to be there until the following Tuesday, anyone watching the news would have seen the i94 disaster that involved 100+ vehicles, I was at the tail end of that, it was on Friday the 9th of January 15. Thus I was not eligible for a rental vehicle until the night before the appointment, four days later! This alone is a ridiculous scenario to find yourself in but since I was committed to being somewhere that evening I rented personally. Both the people at CDE and the representative from Geico were there and I informed both that I could not return until the following Saturday (17th) as I was traveling. I stated this to both them and the Enterprise rental representative that I would be back on Saturday 17th.
My week passed and my wife told me that the Geico estimator had stated the vehicle was 'a total loss'. My wife even told me that she had been told what the insurance claim would be. I should mention that literally at the end of 14 we had decided to increase my deductible to $1, 000 to reduce insurance costs since I had not had an accident in 40 years of driving, that was bad luck and a temptation that fate had to jump on, but that is life!
When I returned on the Saturday AM (vehicle was to be returned before noon), I was greeted with; no representative from Enterprise to receive the rental car, even though he said that there would be someone there and worst still; no car! The insurance representative had authorized the removal of the vehicle without consent. I was fuming, but there I was with no car, and no chance of resolving it until the Monday. Yet again I am in the lurch about the time.
Monday came and I was on the phone the moment my eyes opened. I spoke with Geico (HQ) and was greeted by a very friendly young lady who is the supervisor of the total loss department. She gave me the contact names and numbers of various people that could help me resolve this situation. The real issue was that I had personal property in the vehicle that I wished to recover.
Eventually it was arranged that I could drive (94 miles round trip) to the 'salvage' yard to recover my property. I did, and then I waited 40 minutes while they obtained authorization from Geico to allow me access to my vehicle. I should note that at this point the vehicle was in my name, I literally had the title in my hands, and I had received nothing from Geico. Finally I was allowed to go to the vehicle and recover my property, however, this involved going into a greasy, muddy and miserable yard to my vehicle was unceremoniously presented to me on a fork lift truck.
Just in case you think this is bad, when I got into my car, the only things that were still in there were the things that were literally bolted down, everything else had been 'stolen'. I use that word because I had left my car in the care of CDE and Geico and now my property was gone, and I still held the title. The contents amounted to about $500 in my estimation, I have since remembered that I also had an OBDII device in one of the rear door pockets that I cannot account for and that alone was $300. But the real complaint is that Geico said that they could only cover up to $200 for personal property. Which I have since been paid, as well as the total loss payout.
But, forget all of that, pay attention to the fact that they were placed in the care of my vehicle, CDE and Geico, and that removing someones property without their consent is theft, they broke the law. As the owner of that vehicle I should have called the Canton police and reported it stolen, something should be done about a company such as Geico, in cooperation with CDE, effectively stole my vehicle.
As a result of some black ice on the i94, and yes I was driving carefully, I am happy to show the dash cam video, along with the Geico, CDE and an unfortunate decision to have a large deductible, I am now out of pocket to the order of nearly $2, 000 (not including the difference between the KBB value and their payout ~$1500 less than KBB) and it involves a theft that never was.
I can only hope that Geico begin following the letter of the law and abide by the legal requirement to actually seek the owners permission before disposing of their personal property. Noting that actually paying attention to the customer in this case ("I'll be back Saturday"), may improve some impressions that people have.

H
10:12 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I own a collision repair shop in New York and I have problem when my customers are told that they need to bring their vehicles to a drive by location for an adjuster to write an estimate for repairs. The customer is told by a Geico rep that the company does not send out adjusters for drivable vehicles. I especially have a problem with this because it is in...

S
2:34 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Summer M Hobik 4707 W 89th Place Hometown, IL 60456 [protected] October 30th 2014 To whom it may concern, I am sending you this letter with my intended payment plan. I am at utter disgust with your company. I have to tell you that I was with your company since I was in the Army, and not just that, the company I left was the one my mother worked for...

2:45 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On the 16th of June of 2014 at 4:16 PM I was quoted a 6 month policy at the rate of $189.79. They the charged $197.10. At 2:30 pm on June 16th 2014 they send me a confirmation of a rate of $213.61. I called and spoke with two individuals, who then transferred me to a third. I expressed that I would not be moving forward at that price. She was able to refund...

D
6:28 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was a loyal customer of geico for 22 years, as of today, I am divorcing geico because they decided to rape me on december 6, 2012 around 6:30am I was backing out of my driveway and a ignorant neighbor parks their vehicle in the mouth of my drive way, as I was backing out I tapped their left driver side fender just a very minor indentation, did not do...

7:02 pm EDT

GEICO - raised rate for no-fault accident

I was rear-ended on December 23, 2013. I called 911 first, then Geico. I was shaken and had substantial damage to my rear end (car!). They asked if I could drive it and I said no. They called a tow company and 4 hours later I was on my way. A couple of days later I was in terrible pain. I called Geico medical claims and asked how to get help. I had lost a job and had no means to pay. She tangled my 2500 PIP policy in front of me but said she can't just "send me money". I have to borrow, beg or pawn to get the money to pay it and she'll negotiate on my behalf. Well, that wasnt' an option, so I called Texas Farm Bureau. He cared even less about my injuries, so I sat in pain unable to move or drive for weeks. I called Geico back and begged them to help me. Nothing. Then I asked the big question: IF and when I can get to a doc, are you going to jack up my rates? No, I called a couple days later and asked the same question. No. So i found a doc who would work with Geico as a 3rd party, and before I went I called Geico again - Are you going to raise my rates if I go to see this doc? No.

Well guess who just got her new rates in her inbox? Yep, and is anyone surprised they jacked my rates? Probably not. I'm in a special category now, and they decided to go back 5 years to see what other secrets I had and they found (which they already knew and old claim I made when I jack-knifed my moving trailor into my truck. Self-claimed and self admitted blonde moment, but for some reason it's relevant now? They said they HAD to put me in a "different category" because of the 17 year old who hit me the day before Christmas...but we're sorry, we know it wasn't your fault...still you were a driver in TWO accidents. Honestly, shouldn't Snowden have caught this horrid act that I committed before Geico?

Bottom line, insurance is a necessary evil. Geico is evil... but maybe they all are. Just remember this story. Watch your back and remember - EVEN IF IT"S NOT YOUR FAULT...SOMEHOW, SOMEDAY, SOMEWAY...You're paying for it. Be careful out there and check your dang rearview mirror! Avoid right turn exits on streets where there is no yield sign also. They are all over Texas and dangerous as heck!

4:35 pm EST

GEICO - claim not paid

back in oct there was an accident with my vehicle- i filed a claim and was told the claim was denied because i had no coverage. i got online and they had a wrong vehicle on my insurance (2nd time this has happened) i let them know what the problem was. and they assured me that it would be taken care of and the wrong vehicle taken off my insurance. fast forward to today- i have tried numerous times to reach insurance co as the incorrect vehicle was not taken off my policy, and they still expect me to continue to pay for this vehicle (LOL).. WHAT? and not only that.., they arent covering the correct vehicle that was in the accident. I refuse to pay them another dime in insurance and not only that.. i will have to hire an attorney to get any of my money back... horrible horrible customer service... I will never get insurance through this co again... nor would i ever recommend to anybody. Something has to be done to stop this kind of practice... oh and also- they made sure they took a payment out of my account today...which i did put a stop payment on as well

3 comments
R
Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am EST

I f*****g hate geico commercials so much that I had to cancel my cable. Geico might as well have it's own f*****g channel already! Re f*****g diculous!

Dec 21, 2013 2:43 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

quotewizard.com - where the big boys go for auto insurance.

Dec 21, 2013 2:41 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

use a good auto insurance company next time, something like quotewizard.com

9:14 pm EDT

GEICO - geico refusing to pay

Got struck by a motorcycle driven by a Geico customer, and Geico refuses to pay because their policy holder told a different "story".

Damages clearly show that he was at fault, yet Geico is trying to get out of paying. Avoid Geico at all cost and I will be suing them.

View 0 more photos

1:06 pm EDT

GEICO - slander

I just had this happen and wrote this email today to/with Geico.

I saw the claim person today, I understand that insurance companies have to deal with a lot of fraudulent claims. And in my circumstance I understand I forgot to include a major detail that happened after the first accident. Because not only was there a lot of things going through my mind to keep me from thinking properly, but I just wanted to get my vehicle off the road before it got hit again. But I found it abso---------lutely offensive when I was told, that the claim person felt I made up a hit and run story to claim hit and run. Had he talked to my manager, my manager would have confirmed after the accident happened I told him I only had liability and was going to have to repair the damages myself, even if I had full coverage I don't trust you or any other insurance company to take care of any of your drivers.

I know you people have not received any messages from me about payout or vehicle repair, because after I was even called by Geico and informed that the other thing I had on my insurance covered hit and run, I knew since I forgot to inform the police about it I was going to have to pay for it own of my own pocket still, and I HAD NO --- ---- PROBLEM WITH THAT until this ------------- basically said I was lying. Is this what I should expect? Do the right thing, report the accident, get ------ up in a another accident and be told, your a liar, the second accident was bull---- and never happened? I don't know what part about "I didn't file the claim right away, instead I got online to find out how much it was going to cost ME to repair this vehicle, since I thought I was only paying for liability" he did not understand. I have never been so utterly ------- insulted in my life.

---- YOU VERY MUCH GEICO.
SINCERELY,

T
1:57 pm EDT

GEICO - claim denial

GEICO denied my claim after my car was stolen and recovered damaged. They refused to repair the car to the condition prior to the theft. I took GEICO to court. After a 6 year battle, they finally had to pay for my damages. Now I'm in the Nevada Supreme Court looking for punitive damages. My goal is to STOP GEICO from stealing peoples money.

C
4:29 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchase car insurance for my father which we have the same name. My father called in and I called in to remove my credit card information from their systems several times. My father has had this policy around six months. On June 24, 2013 Geico insurance took my father payment in the amount of $134.40 and my bank charged me $26.00 fee. I called to get a...

V
6:47 pm EDT

GEICO - payment not made

If you are shopping around for insurance, please do not go to Geico! I was rear-ended by a Geico-insured customer and Geico refuses to reimburse me for car rental fees while my car was being repaired! And their customer service is absolutely terrible! When I asked the Adjuster why he wasn't taking the bumper off to examine underneath, he said to me, "Well, that would take 15 minutes to take off, and about 15 minutes to put back on"! Was it THAT MUCH of an INCONVENIENCE? The car that hit me was completely smashed in, obviously causing damage underneath. Also, when I submitted the rental car receipts, a rep called me back to say she only received one page - later to find she did not even know HOW to page forward! They gave me such a run-around with so many issues that I would NEVER recommend this company to ANYONE.

1 comment
N
Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Geico is awful. I feel bad for you.

11:18 am EDT

GEICO - low settlement offer

I was involved in a car accident, that the other driver was cited for and was at fault admittedly. Her insurance company (Geico) has offered a settlement that is so low it isn't even funny. The adjusters are rude and obnoxious. Both the offer for the car that was totalled and the offer for medical are ridiculously lower than what the actual charges are.

9:38 am EDT

GEICO - fraud on seniors that have geico ins.

Geico intentionally defrauds its own clients who have geico insurance! They tell the insured that geico is arranging the auto repair and the auto rental... Afterward you find that your bank account is charged without your permission for charges that should be paid by geico and are covered by your auto insurance! They do this without mentioning when you pick up your vehicle, thinking you will not notice and get your bank statement in a month or so.
Geico intends to defraud seniors who they think are easy prey and will not know what to do in a month or so when they discover the additional charges!

R
9:44 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

GEICO - unauthorized credit card transaction

I signed up for geico insurance online on 03/07/2013 and agreed to pay $24.37 and they took that plus an additional $113.75 that was not authorized. I called geico customer service and they said it was for a previous policy that had cancelled more than 6 months ago and they will not give the money back, it is an unauthorized transaction and I consider it theft.

Update by Ruby Jordan
Mar 08, 2013 9:48 am EST

I signed up for GEICO insurance online on 03/07/2013 and agreed to pay $24.37 and they took that plus an additional $113.75 that was NOT authorized. I called GEICO customer service and they said it was for a previous policy that had cancelled more than 6 months ago and they will not give the money back, it is an unauthorized transaction and I consider it theft.

1 comment
Sep 18, 2013 9:17 am EDT

The thiefs...i ask for a quote because my daughter was searching for a car insirance, they added her and told me they cant take off unless if i proof that she is not driving my vehicle and proof that she got another insurance. Otherwise they are going to keep charging me. I have it recorded...absurd!

11:11 pm EST

GEICO - insurance

Dumb commercial where a lady wants to be romantic with her date that happens to be a literal pig and the pig understands she wants romance and to "pass the time" but instead he pulls out his phone and declares"fruit ninja" I guess with tons of marriages failing, this company thinks this is funny? It's sending a message that it's ok to invalidate the feelings of your partner. That's so wrong! Please think before you make these terrible commercials! Geico has plenty of awesome commercials, so why this trash?

W
2:12 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

geico abuses it's clients. Accident and they do nothing to protect their clients, you get hurt and then YOUR company hurts THEIR client. Doctors that write nothing wrong so you don't have to pay the no fault insurance.. They paid $287.92 and they are sending me to EMPIRE STAT.. requesting to make a copy of your drivers lic. and social security number...

L
5:38 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I would like to post the incompetency of the group that handled my accident report last Nov. 6, 2012... i've have request on the same date for a thorough investigation and that measurements must be taken with both cars so to find out if the damages on the other car aligned with the measurement of the point of contact on my rear driver side bumper because i...

GEICO contacts