Geico / unfair business practises

I have purchased a 2006 BMW in the end of February 2008, and since I had another (much older) vehicle insured with Geico, I just added the new BMW and specifically asked that it had to be fully insured, meaning to have Geico include everything: collision, rental, driver, passenger, etc.

Agent confirmed my request and I paid in full for whatever extra he calculated. Mid-March 08 I was driving around 2am on the freeway and did not notice quite in time a piece of tire that had fallen down from a semi. Got some damage on the bumper.

Called Geico just to hear that I did not have a collision coverage after all and they will not be paying anything since they found that it was my fault. I was repeatedly insulted by Geico service representative and a supervisor who said that it's my responsibility to check what I am buying and they are not responsible for selling me a wrong kind of insurance. So Geico simply refused the claim completely, backed out.

However, I still asked for an upgrade to finally get what I requested for in the first place; paid extra $400. Last week I placed the car for repairs in the BMW dealership and got a rental car from them. The dealership covers 2 day rental; it's going to take about 5 days to fix the car.

I called Geico for rental reimbursement, which is clearly stated as one of the coverages on my policy. The response was a refusal, combined with pushing me around, horrific customer service and already typical backing out of the contract.

Geico practices selling false policies that don't cover and getting money for it, so that when an accident happens, they are clearly not responsible for the claim. It is very convenient- it's always a customer's fault that he/she relied on the Geico agent to provide with truthful information.

Va

Comments

• Ki
      1st of Aug, 2008

Geico is real bull ###. Had similar experiences with the Customer care.

• Ga
      7th of Aug, 2008

As far as rental reimbursement, it pay for a covered loss - if the collision wasn't covered neither was the rental. You have no 'rip-off' argument there.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2008

The contract you get from GEICO states that rental reimbursement is only in the event of a covered claim. Also, there is no such thing as "full coverage." That is a term that dealers and lienholders created. When you made your downpayment, you had a legally binding contract, and therefore GEICO had every right to deny the claim. You had not payed for your coverage. Hpw could you not have reviewed your coverages when you received your paperwork?

• Ho
      20th of Feb, 2009

i agree w/ liz. for real. check out your contract next time, ###. especially w/ a bmw. thats the problem w/ people, they want to complain and complain and complain and they dont read their ###. with ANY company. i used to work for ins, and add brand new vehicles to policies and the policyholder would say "no, i dont need "full covereage", im not going to get into an accident." oh really? i thought thats why they called them "accidents". and then why are you calling two months later trying to get us to pay your claim? mmhmm