Geek Squad / expensive and dumb

1 Bird Road StoreMiami, FL, United States Review updated:

Geeze, what a bunch a dopes.
Purchased a desktop PC, thing broke, under extended warrenty. Bad graphics card, the Geeks 'fixed' it and then for who knows what reason installed Vista.
Only it did not have Vista to begin with and we did not want Vista. So at home I installed XP and deleated Vista.
Week later the hard drive failed, and now it was not covered by the factory warrenty since the Geeks work the first time voided the factory warrenty.
My data would be lost unless I paid the $160. oo to get it from the failed disk.
Told them screw the data I had CD back-ups.
So they replaced the drive and of course they re-installed Vista. When I complained they said they would have to charge me to install XP.
Why I asked since you installed the wrong OS not me. Policy they said.
"Hmmm so your policy is to screw things up then charge the customer for your mistake?" I asked. Geek shrugged and said he had no choice but to charge.
I asked to speake to the manager, who told me my PC came with Vista and that is why they installed it.
So I showed him the invoice from them for the box and under OS it said XP. His reply, sorry it is our Policy to charge for the re-installation of an OS. 15 min of talk and nothing. They would not budge.
So it is now our policy to never set foot into any of their stores again.

Jp

Comments

8th of Nov, 2008

I made the mistake of calling Geek Squad. The lady said Oh We can get it fixed over the phone. She told me I had to pay before they did any work. I paid $182.12. I was connected to their agent for four hours or longer. When suddenly they hung up the phone. I called back to get the agent back and they said they didn't know who I was talking to. She couldn't even tell me what they did. They really messed my computer up. I could not get the internet and even my computer wouldn't print. I told the lady this and she said they would send someone out for $299.00. I said why won't you refund my money. They said they were only going to refund $100.00 they rest was for diagnostic charges. We argued over 20 minutes before they finally said they would refund our check. I had to say I would sue them because my computer was worse than before. They do not know what they are doing. Do't ever let them do anything with a computer or you will have lots of trouble with a computer not fixed and will pay money for them messing up your computer.

• Du
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Truly a complaint, Expensive and Dumb! Did you ask for proof of "policy" stating to install Vista? I'd file a small claims lawsuit for this one. If your opersting system was not Vista and you signed no authorization asking to have it installed, you DON'T have to pay for it, and damages from losing the warranty and other things should be compensated. I would not have gone back there for hard drive failure if they botched up the OS earlier. Also, a graphics card is easy to install yourself and does not void any warranty. I'm wondering who told you the factory warranty was voided? If it says YOU can't do certain things or it will be voided, that doesn't mean if you in good faith asked a professional place to do some work on it that anything THEY chose to do will void it. They should pay you the cost of the current value of the computer at the time they messed up.