Geek Squad Columbia, MO / never turned back on system restore

1 Columbia, MO, United States

Took my computer in back in November 2010 for a new power supply box. At the time of pick-up they wanted me to know they could tell there were viruses on my computer and for loads of extra $, could remove them. I let them know I had anti-virus software. Agent said their software can't tell if the viruses are quarantined or active, but just wanted me to know. Well, this week, I found out that our "system restore" option was turned off. This means that if we did get a virus, then we wouldn't be able to restore anything. I called the national hotline for Geek Squad and spoke to a hotline Agent who confirmed that it is normal procedure to turn off the system restore option when working with the power supply box. He apologized and said that it should have been turned back on. When I called the direct branch out of Columbia, the agent swore up and down that they don't touch the software and they never would have turned off the system restore. He said he could take note of my call but that there wasn't really anything he could do about it. Be careful and check to see if you use this group, that they haven't turned anything off that you need to have. It is pretty sketchy--not many people know or think to check stuff like this...