GE MONEY / gave my social security number to another name

1 United States

I bought furniture in July 2007 and Spet. 2007. Ge money was the billing source. I paid all my bills that they sent me. some how I checked my credit report and they still have an amount I owed, it was under my social security number but under a different name, a name I never had before. I called and they suggested for me to send a letter to their fraud department, I did.
I thought they fixed the problem but now they have been harrasing me for not paying... I spoke with their manager and she agreed it was their mistake and that I never paid a chair so I could pay it with no finace charges. I looked through my old statements and checks and the amount a paid was right. I never paid for the chair but I didn't know, I sent all my bills and never recievd any other, i thought it was all in the same account. I didn't know they created a different account and with another name and a different address.
Hope people ask the financial institution they will be working with before they do a purchase, Ge money is not a good one.
Thanks!