GE / appliance breakdown

To Whom It May Concern:
All. I wish to relate my GE experience to you. My decision to purchase a dryer was a toss up but I felt the GE name would give me the edge. So I bought a GE profile series dryer.
It was delivered, installed by the local appliance store and when turned on made so much noise that I call the appliance store back and they swapped it out. When the replacement was turned on it made some squeaking but not much. A call to GE said squeaking was normal.
Now barely 2 years after owning this dryer we started having major noise and then the dryer would rumble and walk. My son finally figured a work around and this was low heat. Only trouble was this took a long time. So I called the GE answer line and they said it was out of warranty. I asked to speak to someone who I could discuss my displeasure. This person politely said the best that could happen was GE would pay for the service trip.
So I thought about fixing myself and called back to get the owners manual. I tried online but the site did not recognize my model. So I called in to figure this out and the representative could not get this online so she faxed and sent US mail the owner’s manual. Not a good day for a Fortune 100 company when their site cannot even be navigated by employees.
She also sensed I was not pleased and gave me the number to a Kim Freeman. I called Kim and left a message that was returned by a Mary Beth Culver. Now everyone was very polite and professional and Mary Beth said that GE would cover the service trip charge and parts and for me to cover labor. I agreed and the service man showed up 2 days later. He also was very polite and professional and in 25 minutes had my dryer working better than when it was originally purchased.
He then said the labor charge was $110. I commented that this was $300/hour for labor. Now he was very good but he was not a cardiac surgeon. I paid the bill and called Mary Beth. She said that all job labor charges are based on what is replaced/repaired and this insures a consistent charge if a serviceperson takes longer than others. I explained to Mary Beth that I was still not satisfied but she insisted GE had been quite fair. I explained that customers relate poor experience more frequently than good ones and I would be relating my GE experience, both solicited and unsolicited.
As a Realtor I have many opportunities to discuss this. Now I am faxing this to you as I prepare to leave town for a week. When I return I plan to post my GE experience to every blog and site I can think of. It is unfortunate that companies cannot stand behind there product but if a deficiency is found than consumers should be aware of this. After all, we are the customers. Thanks you for your time.

Mr

Comments

• Ed
      25th of Aug, 2009

I agree with anyone who complains about GE. Especially those gawd awful people who are their "Customer relations". I have been fighting with GE for over three months about a defective wall oven. I have talked witha dozen of these "So called - customers relations personnel" and I can tell you for a fact they are the most uncooperative, arogant people you should not have to deal with. I have written three (3) letters to the President of the company and have not even received a "kiss my A-- response. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT, AND WILL AS I TOLD THE PRESIDENT THAT I WILL CONTINUE TO DISTRIBUTE FLIERS BAD MOUTHING GE AND CONTINUE TO TAKE MY POSTER TO EVERY STORE THAT SELLS GE PRODUCTS. I EVEN HAVE A SIGN FOR MY TRUCK.

E D ROACH