GE / refrigerator - hedging until the warranty ran out

I purchased a side-by-side refrigerator new in april, 2000. Not long after I got it, it stopped cooling/freezing. I had a repairman come out and replace the condenser/evaporator. It worked for a short period of time then stopped cooling/freezing again. This time I was told that the first repairman didn't connect a line properly and the freon had leaked out. This repairman assured me that the problem was fixed but again in about 4 months, same old problem of not cooling/freezing. No explanation was given this time, just filled up the freon. I moved to another service area and started getting a different repairman. This one came out the first time in august 2005 and again in march 2006. Both times he said he was going to put in for a replacement since this unit had a bad history. I hadn't heard anything from ge so I decided to stop being patient and contact them. The lady who I spoke to acted like since I only have the problem about every 4-6 months, the unit must be working fine! I told her I had been told by the repairman that he was putting in for a replacement. She said the guy had to come out and physically call from my home phone before a replacement could be made but until that happened, she could only offer me a pro-rated unit for $857.86 from me. She said if he would call from my home phone, I could get another unit. He came out today and made the call. A different person on the phone told him this time that he could only offer a pro-rated smaller unit for a cost of $731.55! Their reason was 'the unit is out of warranty'. I know it is currently out of warranty but until 2005, the warranty was in effect! My problems with the unit started long before the warranty ran out but they won't honor the warranty. The repairman told me also that the 'breaker strip' had been damaged and there was no fixing this. He said it happened when someone replaced the condenser/evaporator long ago. I don't feel that I should be penalized for something that a repairman did. I called ge customer relations after he left and was told by someone then that I couldn't speak to a supervisor because I had already been offered a pro-rate and no one else would do anything differently. I then told her I was contacting an attorney and she condescendingly spelled her name when I asked for it. I then called back and talked to the first supervisor who had told me that I could get a replacement if the repairman called from my home. She then told me she never told me that. I really wish I would have taped the conversation and would recommend anyone doing that in the future. I told her about the other representative's refusal to allow me to talk to a supervisor. I was then told that that complaint would be given to the representative's supervisor and that she should have never told me that. Supposedly, they are going to take it into review again and let me know something within 24-48 hours. My hopes aren't high since they haven't done anything that they said they were going to do yet anyway. My suggestion to anyone having problems with a ge product - stay on top of them everyday and don't let them put you off until they can tell you that the warranty has expired.

Gl

Comments

• Do
      29th of Sep, 2007

I don't believe in having to buy extended warranties. If I felt that was necessary, then I suppose I shouldn't have much faith in the quality of the product I'm purchasing. I bought a GE side by side in 2001 and have had 2 failures of water line to ice maker (one of the failures was slow enough it wasn't noticed till mold became obvious on our slab "outside the home" and further inspection revealed saturated and folding cabinetry base), 1 failure of ice dispenser flap, 2 failures of temp control in refrigerator compartment, 1 failure of mother board causing all cooling functions to cease, currently experiencing another total failure of ice machine function ( no ice).