Gateway/ E Machine / emachine is a Bad Computer

1 TX, United States Review updated:

I purchased an E Series Desktop machine from Wal-Mart on January 7, 2010. This computer was purchased solely for the use of my two young daughters (3 & 4 years old at the time). They used it on average of 5 to 8 hours per week to play games on websites such as PBS kids and Nick Jr. In addition, they downloaded pictures from their toy cameras and my older daughter occasionally typed on the word processor. The only other use was if we had a guest in our home that needed to check e-mail or use the internet, which probably happened less than 10 times in the year. Last week, the computer refused to boot up. My husband and I tried to fix it; including trying to reformat the hard drive, but nothing seemed to work.
This morning I contacted e-Machines support and was told that the hard drive of my system had gone bad and that I could send it to the depot and they would replace the hard drive for $199 plus shipping. I then called the warranty department to see if they could help me, since the computer was approximately 1 year and 1 month old. I was not expecting it to be repaired for free, but I was hoping that they could work with me on the repair costs. I was told that my only option was to mail it in for $199 plus shipping. I purchased the computer for $398 and after one year I would have to pay 50% of the original cost to fix it. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated and I will never purchase an emachine or Gateway computer again.

Comments

• Tr
      25th of Feb, 2011

Well if your Hard drive is truely bad you can buy a new one depending on the size for far less than $199.00, matter of fact you can get a 500Gig at New Egg for $38.99 plus shipp. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003274%20600003290&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
    All you would have to know is if it is a SATA or IDE, buy it format the drive and load your operating system from your boot disk that came with the computer or the boot disk you created when you first set it up.
    It sound like they are going to rip you off with that kind of price.
    How did your husband try to format the drive? And with what software? You can download free formating software from the internet and format the drive and make it active so you can load your operating system. http://www.brothersoft.com/hdd-low-level-format-tool-75265.html
    I would bet that your hard-drive is fine and something happend to your MBR, master boot record.

• Mu
      27th of Feb, 2011

Backup iphone files-backup iphone SMS-backup iphone contact-transfer iphone SMS to computer/Mac-transfer iphone contact to computer/Mac-transfer iphone SMS to computer/Mac-transfer iphone contact to computer in www.mustsoftware.com