Menu
Gateway
reviews & complaints

Gateway
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

45 complaints
30 resolved 15 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Gateway. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

Gateway - Worthless computer

Gateway Computers & Home Electronics - www. gateway. com

MY husband purchased me a new laptop computer 10/06 from Best Buy. Since then the "mother board " has been replaced 3 times since 4/07. Does this seem normal on a NEW computer. It has been sent out to Best Buys service Center 4 times to have repairs. Spoke my frustrations with Best Buy who said that they could not do anything since we did not purchase the extended warranty. I could understand if the computer was 3 years old but for a brand new computer to have this many problems is not right. They directed me to Gateways Corp. Office who is a joke. They are very rude and do not know how to treat a paying customer. I spoke with Jennifer the first time on 7-12-07 who told me that I would need to fax my paperwork so it could be reviewed. At this point my computer had the mother board replaced twice. Once on 4/13/07 and then again on 7/10/07. I never heard anything so I called back and got Erica who says that they never received anything even though I still had my fax sheet saying that it was a successful fax. She stated that at this point that they still would not do anything about it. So sure enough it went out again for the third time and had to be sent back for repair on 9/17/07. I called Erica back to let her know and they were still not willing to exchange my computer because it has been sent to Best Buys service center and their center has not looked at it yet so they sent me a box for me to send it to them when it come back form Best Buy. Well I did just that and they sent it right back to me stating that they could not find anything wrong with it. I called Erica back 10/10/07 to let her know that and she said that they would not replace a working unit. I told her that it may be working now but more than likely it will break again in 2-3 months and by then the manufacture warranty will no longer available. She says that they will extend the warranty for 90 more days but if the mother board goes out again after that I will be responsible. I dont think that this is fair. This computer has been in the shop more than I have had it. I spent 1100.00 on a computer that is worthless.

1 comment
T
Apr 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Kathleen Weimar
Office of the Attorney General
100 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60601

Ms. Weimar,

These ongoing negotiations with Gateway are redundant and are bordering on ridiculous. How many times do I have to address the same issues that have been presented in my previous correspondence?

1.) The phone support personnel at Gateway had determined that the failure of the motherboard was the reason the PCMCIA card slot will not to power up and that the computer would have to be returned to Gateway to have the motherboard replaced. However each time the computer is returned to Gateway, the motherboard is not replaced, which would solve the problem. The computer is ultimately returned to me as No Trouble Found/No Failure Claim Description Provided.

2.) The Sprint equipment and software did in fact work in the Gateway computer for approximately eight months, so we do know that the equipment and software are compatible with the Gateway computer.

3.) The Sprint equipment and software are currently working optimally in a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. This would in fact prove that there is nothing wrong with the Sprint Mobile Broadband Service or the equipment provided by Sprint. The attempt by Dixie Radakovich to shift the cause of the failure to Sprint is an obvious red herring, when in fact the failure of the Gateway computer is the issue being discussed here.

4.) The computer as purchased from Gateway is in fact sold as ready to upgrade to Windows Vista and includes a certificate for a free operating system upgrade from Microsoft. Dixie Radakovich is obviously unaware of how these systems are shipped and sold as she contends that installing this software, Windows Vista, “could significantly cause problems”.

5.) I have used the Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 With Update Rollup 2 CD supplied by Gateway with the purchase of the computer and restored the system to the original factory settings. However the PCMCIA card slot will not supply power to a PCMCIA card when inserted in the computer.

I have done some research on the internet with my Toshiba laptop computer and the Sprint Mobile Service, the same service that will not work on a Gateway computer. I have found a pattern in the way Gateway handles any reported problems with the low quality products that they produce. The customer is required to send the failing product to the Gateway service department numerous times, with no service being performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they are in a position to refuse to repair the equipment.

I am asking you to intervene and force an obviously poorly managed organization, bordering on criminal, to replace the product I have been sold with a new, not refurbished computer, which Gateway seems to prefer as method of resolving frustrated consumers complaints.

Gateway - Horrific customer service

On 2/28/06 I purchased a eMachines package deal from Best Buy. I had the unit for about nine months when the problems began. The computer required several attempts to boot up. I called Gateway tech. service for help with the problem, but everything we tried did not help. Called a second time, same results. I informed the tech. that I was going to bring the unit into Best Buy for testing, which is an authorized repair facility for Gateway. The testing cost me $69.00, the results, a hardware problem. The unit was returned to me with the motherboard replaced. I had to return on 2/27/07, one day before the warranty was to expire, with the same problem. Again, a motherboard was installed. The machine seemed to be working fine until 7/11/07, when at this point, it would not boot up at all. Brought it back to Best Buy and was told that it was past warranty, and that I would have to deal with Gateway.

I called the tech. service number and explained my problem. I was told to write to Consumer Service and enclose the repair records. The person who called, was rude and almost robotic in the way she explained their answer to my letter. I was not going to receive any service, replacement, or refund for the machine because I did not have the repairs done by Gateway and the warranty was over. When I explained that the problem started while under warranty, and had not been repaired successfully, she said they did not repair it so they have no records of repair. I told this person I thought she was being rude, she hung up on me.

Next, I wrote to the "Executive Response Team". Received a call from Gateway. To my horror, same women, same answers. Not as rude this time, but I sensed a hint of enjoyment in her voice. I will next try the Attorney General's Office of SD, BBB, local television station. I will not quit until I have exhausted all my options.

S

Gateway - Poor customer service

I have sent my desktop computer (still under warranty) back to Gateway twice since April. The first time the hard drive crashed - for no explicable reason. They first sent me to Best Buy as they say they have a contract with Best Buy for repairs. Well, Best Buy told me that they are an authorized repair center... but I would have to pay for the work. I did not leave the computer - instead I called back Gateway - who informed me that I was misinformed by the previous rep at Gateway and that Best Buy was right. She escalated my call to the next level. The next rep I spoke with told me that they DO pay for the Best Buy repairs but that for some reason Best Buy has been confused about that. I have to laugh out loud over the confusion regarding Best Buy.

So instead of dealing with Best Buy - Gateway sends me a hard drive - which is also defective. At this point my hands are up in the air so I sent my computer to gateway for warranty repair. What a process - they send you a box that you pack the computer in. Then, because I work for a living I have to wait until a Saturday to take the box to DHL which was supposed to be open and was closed. I finally get the computer to DHL (the next week). NEXT, the computer comes back nearly two weeks later. I now have to wait until a Saturday to go FEDEX to pick up the computer. I get it home and when I finally get some time set it up. I had to call Gateway because the computer still would not boot up -and the tech support had to walk me through the setup process again. All is well - I thought until we realize the internet port is not working... it is now dead. SO, the process starts all over again - Gateway sends the box - I send them the computer - they send it back to me nearly two weeks later - this time a cd is still in the drive (ABCM is written in black marker on the cd). PLUS... I have a continual error message that drive D is full - apparently drive D is a drive that Gateway put on the computer for recovery.

Now, my USB ports don't want to function properly - they won't read any media attached ( portable storage, ipod etc). The computer is thoroughly screwed up. I have had it with Gateway. I'll never buy Gateway again. I'll be calling them today - and complaining - plus I'll be going to the courthouse this week to file a lawsuit... unless they send me a functioning computer - I am done with sending my computer back and forth.

Lastly, someone needs to teach them how to properly package a computer for shipping - both time the packaging was falling apart inside the box when I received it. I am so tired of their poor customer service.

Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We purchased our first computer, a Gateway, in 1998. It ran like a top. We were so pleased with it that when it came time to buy a new computer, we bought a second Gateway. What a mistake! Since purchasing our Gateway 420GR in late December 2004, we have: Gone through two monitors. The first 17 inch flat screen LCD died less than two and one half...

12:00 am

Gateway - After a year and a half of owning my 46& Plasma TV died!

After a year and a half of owning my 46" Plasma TV is died and is not repairable per DecisionONe. My 3 options are to downgrade to a 42" TV, attempt another repair (which is useless) or WAIT 6 MONTHS FOR A REPLACEMENT. This is absolutely absurd! I kindly asked for a possible upgrade to a 50" and paying the difference - not happening. I asked for a refund and accepting the 42" - not happening. How can this be allowed? This is by far the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. From what I see, Gateway is still very much in business but has left all their Plasma TV owners in the dark. I have no choice but to defer to a lawyer and demand a refund.

Update by Valerie
Nov 29, 2006 5:58 pm

GATEWAY 42" Plasma TV purchased 2 1/2 years ago almost to the day developed 1 and sometimes 2 wide vertical black lines about middle of screen. When I called tech support I was told it possibly was a "XR board" at an approximate cost of $200. In addition they could set up a third party non refundable repair for $500. That would include a $200 trip fee, $250 labor fee, and a $50 diagnostic fee. I said thank you and checked in the Seattle area for a local repair. Everyone I talked to would not take the unit because they said GATEWAY wouldn't sell parts to them. I called GATEWAY again to get a "factory authorized" repair person in my area and was told they didn't have any listings. As part of this conversation GATEWAY again mentioned their 3rd party fix - but this time they said to expect about $1300 for a repair.
I again searched for other repair facilities that would at least look at the unit to determine if it was hopeless. I found TELETRON SERVICES in Seattle. They determined it was a bad "PDP" with the following quote, "if part was available it still would NOT be economical to repair"
I am now looking into the class action suit -

Gary Anderson
Redmond, WA.

6 comments
S
Oct 31, 2018 8:27 am

it was 6pm sunday was trying to get some bread for lunches was rudely told the store was closed then they blocked the produce section.i was just going to get my stuff and go.never treated so rude.i have been a member for 15 years.next year i am going to discontinue my membership

J
Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm

I have had nothing but trouble with my 42" Gateway Plasma too. No picture, no service and no one else has parts or wants to service it. Had trouble with this TV from the time I bought it. Would NEVER buy another Gateway product. I'd like to see a class action suit against these folks!

Jane True
[email protected]

Jan 26, 2009 12:45 am

any one need another one? im not even going to try mine again it was acting up before i stored it.

D
Jul 01, 2008 6:37 am

WE PURCHASED OUR 46" PLASMA DIRECTLY THROUGH GATEWAY AND BEGAN HAVING TROUBLE TURNING IT ON/OFF. WHEN A REPAIRMAN CHECKED IT OUT, HE SAID IT IS A BRAND HE HAS NEVER HEARD OF. IT HAS BEEN TWO MONTHS AND STILL HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY PARTS TO REPAIR. A LOT OF MONEY FOR THE GATEWAY NAME FOR A NO-NAME PRODUCT. GATEWAY HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO! HELP. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER GATEWAY PRODUCT---THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND IT OR THEIR NAME!

Apr 08, 2008 8:59 am

My 46" plasma went out (under warranty) digital interface board. It was repaired and the same thing happened 15 mos. later. Got the $500 service call and quote of approx $700 to fix.
The agent I talked to was so quick with the quote, ( and being the second board for me)I have to ask if this was a common problem with this model/brand.
The price to repair started @$1200. A new tv price. I'll take the unknown over the known bad product

J
Sep 01, 2007 7:41 am

My Gateway 50" plasma TV just stopped working as well. I have only had it two years and of course the warranty has just run out. I get sound but no picture. When I called GATEWAY they said the repair visit only would cost $500 and most likely would cost another $400 to repair the problem but they could not be sure of that until someone came out to look at it.

So it looks like for $900 I can "possibly" get my TV repaired. If there is a class action suit going on I would jump on it. A Plasma TV should last more than two years and then not cast you the price to buy a new one to fix it when something goes wrong.

Jon Ganio