Frigidaire / spontanious exploding glass cook top

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Purchased a frigidaire gas cook top model fgc3658hsa in nov 1999. On thanksgiving 2010 my kitchen was full with family and friends. My sister, oldest daughter and I were standing at the stove cooking. My oldest son asked us turn around to take a picture and within a couple of seconds my glass cook top spontaneously exploded sending hundreds, if not thousands, of pieces of glass flying all over the counter top and floor. Luckily my 18 month old nephew who had just been playing on the floor only 3 feet away had moved. Fortunately no one was hurt, but I can't imagine what could have happened if we had not turned around just at that time. As far as our thanksgiving dinner, most of it was covered and I was able to salvage it.
My complaint is the fact that we have contacted frigidaire three times by email asking them to forward our emails to management so they can call us to resolve this issue. Management has not called us. We have only received reply emails suggesting to replace the glass and purchase a new warranty. Basically we have been told that we are on our own and there is nothing they can do. We are very reluctant to replace the glass again (At a cost of $600.00) because we have no guarantee that it won't happen again.

Comments

30th of Jan, 2012

I have a Frigidaire electric glass top range. My complaint is cosmetic. The glass top keeps developing black spots. They don't seem to affect the cooking ability of the stove but they make it look as though I never clean it. I only use recommended cleaners, have newer pots and pans which I also keep meticulously clean so I don't know what the problem is. The range is only two years old and I've already had the top replaced once for the same reason. After reading the other problems buyers have had I suppose I should be grateful. I also have a Frigidaire refrigerator which sounds like a Boeing taking off in my kitchen, and a dishwasher that needed the control panel replaced after a couple of months. Rest assured, next time I renovate my kitchen I will NOT be buying Frigidaire appliances.