Fpl (Florida Power & Light) / deposit demand

1 Palm Coast, FL, United States Review updated:

I am writing in hopes someone out there gets angry enough to file a class action lawsuit against FPL for unfair utilities practice. I lost my employment Jan. 8 2009 and because of a mistake on an account (Nov.of 2008) the check was returned. I found out this happened and I paid it by cash right away, but today Feb.20 2009 I received a threat from FPL that if I did not send an additional deposit of $184.00 by Feb 24 2009 power would be shut off. I wanted to see if others were having the same problems with Florida Power & Light so I checked online and was not surprised to find many complaints. I did however noticed something interesting, FPL demanding different amounts from different customers.
I was wondering do they (FPL) set these extra deposits on a whim?
If you want to know what to do, write Gov. Charlie Crist and tell him what this bully is allowed to do to all of us. Want real change? Fight Back!!

Comments

• Ca
      23rd of Jun, 2011

Electric companies can require a deposit on an electric account. It is a state law.

You can try a petition, but good luck doing so.

23rd of Jun, 2011

They are not the most expensive. Do your research.

Please call ConEd and ask them when they will be providing service in Florida.

And the borders northbound are still open. Perhaps NY here you come?

23rd of Jun, 2011

The deposit amount varies based on 2 months' average billing over the last 12 months. No residence uses the same electricity as another residence so the amount will differ from account to account.

• C3
      2nd of Jul, 2011

I completely agree and would be will to pay the whatever it took to join in a class action suit against FPL for unfair business practices. I'm being charged a deposit based on someone else's usage. I have been in my house for 1 month and before I moved in they wanted over $700 deposit. Do they think money grows on trees in a recession! Then my first bill was just over $200, which is nowhere near half $700. The deposit are highway robbery that need to be capped by law! As a matter of fact they shouldn't be able to charge the deposit until after two billing cycles. It's just completely unfair!

19th of Jul, 2011

to the fpl rep who stated his comments.. its a fact that the power companies in florida are government. try and start your own power company.. go ahead.. the reality is these huge companies make it look great with, we will have these areas and they get those areas, so its not a monopoly.. then we get protected against from start ups by legistlature in florida so we pay those congressmen their payments and house representatives their money.. fpl would be out of business if they operated like a true business in florida. if i have a issue with att wireless, i can go to metro, , try doing that with the almighty power gods in florida.. dont speak about policy for fpl when their policy is strickly written by the fat cat trying to collect every sent. also, the interest collected on our deposits, does that get paid to us when we move and no longer need their service. do the math and let me know how much interest in all these deposits have generated per year and i am sure not taxed revenue. fpl rep is blind. i am sorry we all have to deal with this, my only thought would be to go to the meetings or write letters to the supreme courts. it is stealing, from the american public!

• Al
      13th of Sep, 2011

FPL is regulated and isn't the only utility in the state of FL therefore isn't a monopoly. As for the deposit when you initially move in it is based on the most recent 12 months of billing when the home was occupied but after you've established your usage (after 12 months) you can request to have deposit reevaluated and adjusted if your average 2 months is less than the deposit you initially paid. Your deposit does accumulate a 6% interest which is applied to your account annually (usually in June) and you also get paid interest when deposit is refunded or if you move or close your account.

• So
      19th of Oct, 2011

Hi everyone my name is Sofia i'm looking for a very brave law firm who would file a class action lawsuit against this company maybe the Cochran Law firm in Ft Lauderdale, Fl because i am fed up of fpl extortion i moved to a new house as a tenant on august 1 2011 between august 1. and october 17. i was billed $.800.00 (That's 10 weeks) and from this amount 353.00 includes an additional deposit when i moved in my security deposit was moved under the new account and i made sure i have left no unpaid balance on the previous account but $800.00 in 10 weeks that's to much i'm also unemployed so i called them make sure they won't ask for additional security deposit also please if company have the right to record everything you say so as you please start to record your conversations over the phone with this company and upload it to youtube this is my very hard earned money i want to pay my bills on my time when i have the money and not on your terms they know that it's a game for them a disgusting game but others are sleeping with them in the same bed banks ..etc at one point the last couple of years when i was dealing with them i was also told if i don't like it i can always go to an other company...funny morbidly funny

21st of Dec, 2011

I got a notice today too and I have not been late. The bad thing is that they have already strong armed a previous $54.00 deposit from me and now, right here, due 3 days before Christmas, they want another $164.00. I don't know what can be done about this, but it's just awful. They can get away with this because they have no competitors. I have been an FPL customer for 9 years and they are making me feel like I am worthless and dishonest. We are nothing but numbers and statistics...

21st of Dec, 2011

I got a notice for a mandatory deposit from FPL today too and I have not been late. The bad thing is that they have already strong armed a previous $54.00 deposit from me and now, right here, due 3 days before Christmas, they want another $164.00. I have never even had a bill over $130.00. I don't know what can be done about this, but it's just awful. They can get away with this because they have no competitors. I have been an FPL customer for 9 years and they are making me feel like I am worthless and dishonest. We are nothing but numbers and statistics to this company...

• Fp
      3rd of Apr, 2012

I asked for a payment extenision, only to be charged two months later a secutity deposit of an additional 250.00 on top of the 900.00 they already have!!! they must use the deposit money to afford the bonuses to thier shareholders and exectives...
    WE NEED TO TAKE CONTROL TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE BREAKERS TWO DAYS A WEEK IT WILL COST THE M MILLIONS CALL THE PROGRAM UN PLUG FPL STEP OFF THE GRID...DON'T GET MAD GET EVEN HELL IN FLORIDA IT CAN CAN REALLY COST THEM A LOSS IF WE COULD GET A NATIONAL INTEREST WE COULD SURE MAKE A STATEMENT BETWEEN FPL AND THE GAS WE ARE POOR...

7th of May, 2012

FPL RAISED OUR DEPOSIT !!! WE PAID $212.00 INNITIALLY AND PAID OUR BILLS ON TIME EXCEPT ONE BILL IN WHICH WE WERE CHARGED A "LATE FEE" AND "RECONNECTION FEE." HOWEVER, THIS WAS DUE TO A PROBLEM WITH THE MAIL SERVICE. I CALLED AND SPOKE TO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEN A SUPERVISOR BECAUSE WE RECEIVED A NEW BILL FOR A RAISE IN DEPOSIT OF $70.00. I ASKED THEM HOW DID THEY COME UP WITH $282.00 DEPOSIT FOR AN AVERAGE OF 6 MONTHS ONLY TOTALLING $120.00. THEY SAID THAT THEY TAKE A 12 MONTH AVERAGE. SO EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE AND I HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 6 MONTHS, THEY ARE TAKING AN AVERAGE FROM THE LAST TENNANTS 6 MONTHS BILLING CYCLE ALSO. WHAT THE [censored]??? WHY AM I PAYING 12 MONTHS AVERAGE INCLUDING 6 MONTHS FROM SOME OTHER IDIOT??? THEY SAID THE CHECK THE SOCIAL SECURITY # AS WELL. EVEN IF THEY DID, ALL THE BILLS WERE ALWAYS PAID ON TIME. THEY ALSO SAID IF YOU ARE LATE ON A BILL THEY CAN RAISE THE DEPOSIT??? WHY, WHEN THEY CHARGED ME A LATE FEE ON TOP OF A RECONNECTION FEE??? UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE NO CHOICE OF OTHER ELECTRIC COMPANIES AND SOLAR AND WIND POWER IS ABOUT $16, 000.00 TO POWER A HOUSE, NOT TO MENTION YOU'DE HAVE TO SWITCH YOUR COOKING AND WATER HEATING TO GAS... WE ARE SCREWED UNLESS SOMETHING IS DONE. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. I WOULDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START...

9th of Jun, 2012

6/9/2012-Now this some of these circumstances sound similar to what I experience even though I didn't (thank God) loss my job. However, I seemed to notice when I talked to other electric customers in Georgia, they had other companies to give power services and their bill were not as high. My bill keep going up even though I am on budget billing. The actual bill in most cases was lower than the budget bill. They said it had to do with averaging the out from hot summer versus the cold winter months. I keep complaining and finally FPL installed a new meter and the usage reduced. Also, after an illiness and loss of income, FPL charged me an additional deposit. Currently, I noticed some of those monies being (from the deposit) credited back to my account (so the charges are lowering). EG

• Br
      9th of Jun, 2012

FPL is as crooked as a business can get, but then again that is what you get when you allow a monopoly to run with no oversight. Great job Charlie!!! FPL charges more than their tariff allows in Brevard County, charges fees on online payments when they use your stored information to make payments without your consent and most importantly they do not fix their mistakes when they are WRONG. Because they don't have to.. we live in Florida, land of the Business is always right and the citizens can SUCK IT... Thanks again Charlie...

• Wa
      18th of Jul, 2012

This is meant for all the ###ed idiots who say everyone complaining is a late payer. We have been with FPL for 12 years and never had a late payment. EVER. Some [censored] called FPL and said they were moving into our house which was a lie. Without contacting us, FPL cut our service and transferred account to new person. Went to pay the bill and they said our account was cancelled and they tried to notify us. Never received any such notices by phone, e-mail, or mail. The rep proceeded to advise us that to restore our account we would have to pay $500 deposit. ###. They screwed up and made unauthorized changes to our service and let some fraud ### take over our service. Won't tell us who it was so we can prosecute and won't do anything themselves. Forcing us to pay for their major [censored]up is just a way to say [censored] you we do what we want. If we refuse to pay then they turn us off. Where is the justice in this and how can you honestly explain that even though you [censored]ed up that we still have to pay for it. Called lawyer to have something done. If FPL does nothing then will prosecute them for illegal business practices and yes we have a case. FPL will be held accountable for once.

• La
      17th of Aug, 2012

FPL has very rude reps, account supervisors, as well as managers. Fpl withdrew a payment from my bank account after I was assured that if my account does not have a balance they would not take the funds out of my account well low and behold they still took 250.00 out of my checking account. I have always paid my bill on time thats why I have no problem with auto bill pay. I am on a fixed income due to the fact that I am a disabled vet. Any way I called as soon as I found out because my rent payment was due the next day for them to return the funds to my account because they had made an error. I was treated so nasty I was told well u dont have to pay a bill until October, that had nothing to do with it so I requested a supervisor who was very rude she was not trying to hear what I was telling her so she got angry and hung up the phone on me. I called back again and was told that they had made a mistake and they would return the funds to my account in 4-7 days guess what it has been passed that time when I call to check on my refund all I get is lies I called a total of 11 times ( no lie) and was told something different everytime a manager called me back after 2 hrs with the most nastiest attitutude her response to me was what do I want her to do she cannot speed up the process so what do I want her to do, she was very rude and nasty like she really didnt have time to explain what process she was talking about again I explained that they need to make all of their employees aware of the correct information and not lie to the customer she didnt even care that he had lied and told me that the payment was already sent to my bank and the fact that he was on the phone via conferance call with my bank he still continued to lie. She did not want to hear that, She was down right nasty I fought for this country and its not right to be treated like your nothing. I dont understand how this can be legal at all. I dont understand why they are allowed to have such crappy attitudes with their customers if it wasnt for the customers they would have no business. I dont know how long it will take them to return my funds to my account, all I can do is wait and try to pawn or sell something just to get the money I need to pay rent this month. If there is anyone out there who knows who i CAN TALK TO about this please let me know my email is lakesimmons @gmail.com

• Wi
      15th of Mar, 2013

free energy exists they just try to keep it in secret, but they will be taking down just like the romans, at last buy they will be out of the scam they been running for a long time, free energy grid exists and they know it, its coming soon, they will be out of bussiness, what a pleasure ja ja ja ja

23rd of May, 2013

A NOTIFICATION WAS PLACED ON MY DOOR INFORMING ME THAT MY POWER WOULD BE OUT. and after that I guest they tried to get in my side gate and after they couldn't get in. my neighbor said that the fpl worker spray my dog with pepper spray burn his hair and his skin there I wasn't even home. What do I need to to I took picture and its not fair because I have a big beware of the dog sign.

• Sc
      4th of Nov, 2013

FPL ARE ###ING SCAM ARTIST!!!
    WE HAVE PAID OVER 1, 000 IN RANDOM DEPOSITS…. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
    HORRIBLE HORRIBLE COMPANY

• Ju
      3rd of May, 2014

Totally agree, no second shots with Florida power, I moved in February and chose auto-pay online for the hundred off of my initial deposit. Well I accidentally gave them the account number to my checking and not my savings. They never once called or emailed me to tell me there was a problem. So when I got the paper bill I looked at the charges. 394 dollars! For only two months. The actual energy usage was only around 100 dollars between both months. I went online to see what was wrong and pay . My account said online suspended and it showed they re-charged me the extra hundred deposit since being suspended meant no auto-pay. I called and offered to immediately pay whatever to keep me on the online auto-pay. All she said was sorry, but since you had non-sufficient funds we can't. They also charged me for not having the funds as well something like 45 dollars and said it'll be a full year before I can get back on the auto-pay method. They have zero customer service. Don't use fpl. Move somewhere else. Over 750 dollars in 3 months... 100 % ###. My energy usage is only around 60 dollars a month.

• Su
      23rd of Sep, 2014

So what's being done? Who in Tallahassee is looking into this? How can an entire states worth of people have complaints about corruption with this company and no public response? Rates go up during hurricane season just because? What gives them the right to increase bills when people didn't use the power? Why are they allowed to continue to operate like this without Tallahassee getting involved? Politics, money, and power! That's why! An extra $10 per bill? An extra $20? How about the insane amount of increasing deposits month after month? Multiply that by just under 19 million Floridians and there's your answer!!! When you can control 100% of any customer base you can pretty much do whatever you want because of the monetary influence you have with law makers & politicians. Yeah, you guessed, you voted for those people!! So how to you fight this type of corruption? Well in all honestly, you really can't. Not by yourself. You need to have an outside organization with the guts to stand up to a goliath of a company like FPL. So now what? Well now we can hope that one of those law makers we put in office will feel a little guilty about that little girl with no power.