Fpl (Florida Power & Light) / deposit demand

1 Palm Coast, FL, United States Review updated:

I am writing in hopes someone out there gets angry enough to file a class action lawsuit against FPL for unfair utilities practice. I lost my employment Jan. 8 2009 and because of a mistake on an account (Nov.of 2008) the check was returned. I found out this happened and I paid it by cash right away, but today Feb.20 2009 I received a threat from FPL that if I did not send an additional deposit of $184.00 by Feb 24 2009 power would be shut off. I wanted to see if others were having the same problems with Florida Power & Light so I checked online and was not surprised to find many complaints. I did however noticed something interesting, FPL demanding different amounts from different customers.
I was wondering do they (FPL) set these extra deposits on a whim?
If you want to know what to do, write Gov. Charlie Crist and tell him what this bully is allowed to do to all of us. Want real change? Fight Back!!

Comments

• Cz
      20th of Nov, 2010

GOOG MORNING!! I must say after spending some time reading what's going on with FP&L and their treatment of customers I have good news.
    Change is coming.. Deregulation in the state of florida is going to happen. It could be some years away, but rest assure your complaints will not go unheard. I currently work with a company here in texas that is going to offering cusomers a choice in your state once this happens. Texas derregulated in 1999 and opened the door for competion in 2002. Our company launched in 2005 in texas in the electric market, launched into georgia as a natural gas marketer and just recently last month into pennsylvania. This company is build by the consumer for the consumer. check it out. www.Nrg4free.igniteinc.biz. and comments or questions please feel free to ask .. thanks to all

• Gt
      28th of Nov, 2010

The latest...I moved into a house as a tenant on 9/23/10 and I activated my FPL account as of that same day. I enrolled in the auto-debit since they said I wouldn't have to pay a deposit as a new tenant/customer. It is now end of November and I receive a letter from FPL stating that whoever was living here before me has an unpaid balance of $1, 231.76 and that they just transferred that balance from the old account number to my account number. So...now, they want to stick me with an unpaid bill that I did not incur...ahhhh...FPL is such a great company...right? Bunch of thieves!

• Ah
      5th of Dec, 2010

i have been living a year and a 1 month in low income apartment with my three kid and unemployed.. with a chronic asthmatic 6year old a 5year old and 1year old i have my bill is more then $250 a month. i don't know why cus the AC don't even work. when i move in i had to pay $790 to get my light on that was Nov 2009 sense then i have paid 3 more deposit of 528..sometime around July my payment was late but they turn my light off they told me i had 7 days to pay it or my account would be close my payment when in on the 5th day they came in turn my light on the same day i pay my balance . 2 week later they came back to turn my light off cuz i didn't have a account with FPL so i had to pay a new deposit for my light to be turn back on and all they said was that it was a mistake of thiers but that i still needed to pay .. the last time was at the end of Sept i had my light off for more then a month and had to pay $1091 to get my light back on. the day i got my light back on they told me my account was on $o balance. the day after thanksgiving i receive a new bill with a past balance of $318 from Sept 30, 2010 to Oct 29, 2010 and that was the month i didn't even had lights on that i was staying with friends ...and my meter haven't even been read an didn't even have a meter in the box outside...on Dec 1 another bill came in with a past balance of $318 and a new balance of $263.16 ..i don't know whats going on but i know this is wrong and that i am not the only person going thru the same problem... if u have any information please email me at hernandez.anamarie@yahoo.com

• St
      16th of Dec, 2010

I got cut off without notice, because I stopped the automatic payment due to the fact they were double dipping into my bank account. They claim they sent me a notice that a deposit was due. The date they claim to have sent the notice was on November 13. I went on my annual vacation November 19 and when I returned on November 27 dicovered my power had been shut off on November 23. I immediatley went to the mail box to look for a shut off notice, nothing. Not even a bill for the deposit. I rent an apartment, so I went to my landlord, who said that she didn't even know they had shut me off, and this violiated some agreement that FPL was to inform them when they are on the property. Now if they mailed out a payment notice for the deposit on the Nov. 13, the bill would have been due on Nov. 20 given that they used the USPS and common contract law. 3 days to me, 3 days to them 1 day to deposit. The law states that they have to issue a 10 day notice to the consumer for shut off. But I got nothing, no bill, no notice. I am so sick of Florida Plunder and Loot. I want this company taken over by the state, and everyone of these heartless creatures fired and threatened with civil lawsuits. Why the hell do they need a deposit. The reason I was given for a deposit was that new customers who don't have an account have to give a deposit. But I had been an FPL customer and paying in good faith, even though they were double dipping into MY bank account for 8 months. I am very interested in criminal, civil and class action lawsuits against FPL.

21st of Dec, 2010

FPL is allowed access to the meter for the purpose of obtaining meter readings, and connecting or disconnecting service. There is no law that requires FPL to notify the landlord if they are on the property.

21st of Dec, 2010

Deregulation, shmegulation. If it comes, it does. If not, oh well. And I wouldn't be so quick to trust someone that can't spell the words good, deregulation, and capitalize the name of US states.

28th of Dec, 2010

I was under the impresion this was a rant and rave complaints board and not an english class room abbby girl. Just who are you to scrutinize others and judge them based on thier grammer. Did it occur to you that maybe it was a typo? Let me guess you must work for FP &L. The Florida Power and Electric company' s abusive of it's consumers is appalling to say the least. People are in need these days of others who care about what the say and feel. Your apathy comes in loud and clear for others to read. Positive and meaningful words are what people need to hear. Our comand is to love thy neighbor as we love ourselfs. matt 22:39/mark12:31/roman 13:8. On this note I end abbby, Im hear to help and not to abuse or harm others. Spelling does not characterize a persons intentions or behavior. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL. Even you abbby.

28th of Dec, 2010

Great so you're a salesman in a multi-level marketing system. Nice.

4th of Jan, 2011

FPL is one of the worst utility companies to work with. Company's like this should work with people not screw them over. I have asked them if it was ok if I made a payment a couple days late and she said she would put a note in the computer. Long story short, we come home from out of town, our power was disconnected and we had to pay $900. This is the worst company. This is a tough economy for a lot of people. FPL is ruining everything in south florida. That's why we are moving to central FL where FPL isn't the utility company. Pisses me off!

4th of Jan, 2011

900 doesn't seem like a few days late. Seems more like at least one or more months behind. How soon before payment was due did you ask for extension? Also did you ask them to confirm extension be mail, email or fax??

12th of Jan, 2011

shame on FPL, THEY DOT CARE PEOPLE ARE GOING THRU HARD TIMES TO GET ENDS MEEET.
    ALL THEY WANT IS SECURE THEIR PAYMENT BY TAKING RIGHT FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.
    THEY KNOW THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION TO GO, THATS WHY THEY KKEP THIS ABUSIVE PRACTICE.

• Vi
      28th of Jan, 2011

I myself had to pay a depsosit to Fpl! They base it on an average of two months bill! So I got slapped with a $ 568.oo deposit! That isn't even the icing on the cake! I lived on my own for a few years before my boyfriend now husband moved in with me! So all the utilities were already in my name! I had an apartment, then moved, and thi hadeen moved again to my current residence! I recieved a notice 2 YEARS after moving in to my new home that I was being billed an additional $ 1287.56 for, get this, my boyfriends outstanding FPL bill that he had with his girlfriend 7 years prior! We were NOT married at the time and they based all this on the fact that I had sent in a payment by check and the names were mine ( maiden name) and his. What the Helll! How is that right? Married or not how can they force someone elses bill on you? and what choice do you have to not pay! I need Electric! They are robbing people! I see on the news all the time, them asking to in crease our rates! It is crazy! and the lady that I spoke with on the phone gave me ONE WEEK to pay that and my regular bill as well! What horrible customer service! I don't know if this is common practice with all Electric Companies but that was just BS

28th of Jan, 2011

You should call the PSC and give them your complaint. Call 1-800-342-3552.

• Ka
      29th of Jan, 2011

I was issued a final notice for being 10 days late. They issued the final notice on the day after my bill was due. No, I was not behind by a month. My January bill was due on the 18th. My final notice before power is turned off was issued on January 19th, which specified that if not paid by January 26, my power would be shut off. I called to see if there was some kind of glitch in the system, but no. The rep said that the system is in control of when final notices are sent. I'm disgusted. I've always been happy with FPL, but this is ridiculous. I totally understand that bills need to be paid and it's not the company's responsibility to worry about our hard times, but charge me a late fee. Don't turn off my power after a week of nonpayment. Especially since I've been a customer for over 10 years. Hang in there everyone.

• Ti
      29th of Jan, 2011

FPL are Legal Criminals!
    I just had a bout with them over a late payment, they shut off my power for 24 hours.
    They shut it off and i immediately went and paid it and they left me with no power for 24 hours! My fridge went warm, sat in the dark with candles. When i called these losers they said "oh power will be restored within 24 hours" [censor]! I was without power for 24 hours. I hate them and i will be doing something to make their company irritated. If they think they're getting any more deposits from me they are NUTS.

8th of Feb, 2011

Good morning to all!! I can't sell what i don't own. I am proud to be part of muti-level maketing company that is built by the comsumer for the consumer. We are less expensive and yes we care about people.
    Check the JD powers review. Ranked 2nd in customer service(out of 96 other providers). and only 2nd because the 1st ranked company is only 1/10 the size of ours.
    Our company has been feature by 500inc magazine as the fastest growing company in history. Not the fastest growing company in the electric market but fastest growing company period. Say no more i enjoy giving individuals the choice to save money.

9th of Feb, 2011

Please stop spamming this thread and attempting to sell your product.

11th of Feb, 2011
    FPL - We need a new company in Florida
    Florida
    New York

Why is it that fpl is the only most expensive utility company in the world. They are robbing the poor and its highway robbery that they are the only company in the state of Florida. Get rid of fpl and get another company. New York con Edison is more economical. May we should downsize their staff. They spend all there time in meetings and 3 hour lunches. Rip off company.

• Ki
      11th of Mar, 2011

same that has happened to me as a number of people on here.. i paid my account on time every month, for years, then all of the sudden my husband got laid off, i got laid off, and life started going to crap. due to a screw up with my old bank, i changed banks, and a mistake on my part, forgot to update my automatic withdrawal, and didnt realie that the months bill wasn't paid..which lead to a deposit demand from fpl, a change in account status to cash only the next month because i couldnt come up with it.. my bill since keeps going up and up cause of shut off fees, and reconnection fees, since 2/11 to 03/11 i've had to go all the way to another city (they dont have a payment place set up in my tiny town 3 times to pay to get my power turned back on. two times they gave me NO notice, didn't even knock on the door to get cash from me, just shut it off and left, i didn't even recieve a final notice or a shut off notice or anything in the mail until AFTER it was shut off. we paid the balance they said it would take to turn the power back on, then a week later, same thing..shut off, no notice no warning, again we went down there paid it, turned it back on..a week and half later, again..at least this time someone knocked on my door. it still got shut off but at least i had warning. i finally got caught up, my due date for this month was the 8th..today is the 10th, i was going down tomorrow to pay the balance, but in the mail today, i recieve a final notice.. i have until the 15th to pay $158.60. wth? im not even behind?? if i pay that my balance goes down to 0 i think..minues a reconnection fee that was in there.. if i add the reconnect fee im all caught up, not behind at all.. right now im behind 2 days. they mailed this thing out the DAY my bill was due.

• St
      23rd of Jun, 2011

This might be a stupid idea but why doesn't someone circulate a petition to have a law passed that it would make it illegal for a utility company to ask for or hold a deposit for services?