Ford Motor Company / 2016 ford escape rear brake disks

Okemos, MI, US Review updated:

In March 2016 my wife & I leased a new Escape. VIN 1FMCU9J94GUA96250. The realization was to expect to pay for expendables (oil, filters, brake pads, etc.). However, we did NOT expect to pay for major parts. That's what happened.

At an oil change on June 21, 2017 at roughly 20, 100 Miles it was written on the last page of the service report (not ever verbally expressed to me) that the rear brake disks were worn badly and needed to be replaced! Having not heard anything, both of us drove the vehicle unaware until another oil change last week on November 19, 2017 at roughly 30, 000 when I was presented with an estimate for $450 for the repairs. I was NEVER aware this was an issue! Imagine my shock.

I've worked in the car business since 1988 and never once saw disabling brake disk wear at as early as 25, 000 Miles. This vehicle does about 15 miles per day and gets highway mileage. It is NEVER driven hard where that kind of wear would ever be prevalent. So, I have to conclude that this is a manufacturer and/or materials problem. For example the tires show very little wear during that same period (one would expect them to be worn more if the car was driven hard). Also the front disks and pads are still perfect and show little wear and the disks are unscored.

I requested that the dealer work with the manufacturer and us to mitigate this unexpected cost that seems to be Ford's fault. The answer from the VP at the Dealership (Courtesy Ford in Okemos, Michigan) insisted the wear was all our fault. I requested some financial assistance with this. Please understand that this is the same dealership from which the vehicle was leased and where the car is very regularly serviced. The top discount for this was 15%! And, then we were lied to multiple times by the VP there, Keith Palmer. We were then summarily kicked-out forever from the same dealership we have been patronizing since day one of this saga!

I want out of this car NOW! We will NEVER buy or lease a Ford again!

Gu
Nov 22, 2017

Comments

• Sh
      Nov 23, 2017

Have you asked how much it may cost to buy out of this lease? I'd be interested to know.