Flagstar Bank / making home affordable - someday...

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I'm in line. A saga that started in March continues to draw itself out. In March I contacted Flagstars loss mitigation department, requesting loan modification and/or assistance. I was sent the typical paperwork reason for claim, new finanacial, paystubs etc...which I filled out and returned promptly. Then waited. And waited, and then waited a bit more. I'd call every couple of weeks and check on it - the paperwork was being processed and would be assigned to adjustor. In July (yup, 3.5 months of waiting) I received a notice that I'd been assigned and adjustor, but becasue so much time had passed I needed to submit a new financal sheet, paystubs etc...I faxed it all back the next day and confimred the reciept via phone call. In late August, doing my routine bi-weekely update call I found that we had made progress, the Adjustor had now passed it along to the Loss Mitigation Loan Officer, I got a name and a phone extension. Finally - right? Nope, I left a voice mail for this person at the end of August (their recording says "don't leave multiple messages, I'll call you back) - Then 9 business days later I emailed them, then after 13 business days (3 calendar weeks) I did the unthink able of leaving another voice mail. No response yet - So here I sit being held hostage by my bank, because they don't have even the slightest bit of interest or common decency to say "I've got your package, we can work something out - It's just going to day a few days, weeks, months...) - Come on people - Throw me a bone, I've been honest, forthcoming, sincere and prompt on all dealings - return the favor.

Comments

• St
      25th of Sep, 2009

My husband and I have had nothing but problems with them. They say they want to help, ask us to send the paper work, and then say "sorry" can't help you. Now they say after over a year of not wanting to work with us that we have to submit new paper work and pay three months, again... I do not trust this bank. Oh yea and just as we filed a making home affordable mortage through sterling home retention, we are not under a new mortgage company. they are horrible...

• Tl
      10th of Oct, 2009

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I filed loss mitigation paperwork in early May, along with all of the documentation they requested. At the end of May - nothing. I called yes they had received it, but it had not been assigned to a caseworker. Call back in 2-3 weeks. I called back in June - still hadn't been assigned. They assured me not to worry - it would not go into foreclosure. July, I call again - still not assigned - AND they needed updated documentation as the original documentation I sent was now "outdated". I immediately sent them what they asked for. I continued calling back every two weeks as they instructed. No changes during the entire month of August. I was told to call back the first of September, it was getting closer to being assigned to a caseworker. Then in the mail I receive multiple notices from their Attorneys - Trott and Trott advising the loan was officially in default - going into foreclosure. I called back right after Labor Day and finally was given the name of the person assigned to my case but was told to give her until the end of the week to review it. I hear nothing from them. I continue to call her - nothing but voicemail that says she will return my call within 3 business days. She never called back.

Then I call again and am told that there is a sale date and I go into a panic. The loss mitigation person tells me not to worry, that they can probably postpone it. The sale date is 2 weeks away. I call my attorney who assures me there cannot be a sale date unless I have something in writing stating there is sale date. I call them back asking for this documentation and am told there is not a sale date and someone had given me the wrong information. I should have never been told this. Now I am wondering ...who do I believe?

I continue to call my caseworker about every 3 days - no answer, no return calls. A couple weeks later I receive a notice of foreclosure sale with a date that is 3 weeks away. Now I realize things are going in the wrong direction and no one is helping me. Approximately 3-4 days after receiving the notice in the mail, a civil process server walks up to me while I am outside cleaning up after a storm. He asked if this was my property and then tells me he has to stick a sale notice on my front door and take a photo, and I can take it down after he turns around, but he cannot remove it. He was very kind and understanding.

After he leaves, I break down. I call the assigned caseworker again and now her voice mail box is not accepting any new messages as it is full. So I pick an option to be transferred to another loss mitigation person because I now have what I consider to be an emergency. I speak with someone who puts me on hold while they try to locate my caseworker. They cannot locate her and tell me they will have someone else call me since she is not returning my calls. This person also states she will attempt to contact Trott and Trott to postpone the sale date. My caseworker finally calls me back 2 hours later, for the first time in the almost 6 months since I filed all my paperwork. She tells me there are other people who have foreclosure dates set ahead of mine and she was "getting to" my case. I tell her I have 3 weeks before its auctioned off. She states that since she has me on the phone she will quickly gather info that she needs to see what type of modification may be worked out. She asks me all the information that I have already sent in twice. Then she tells me I don't qualify for one of the programs, but I do for 2 others. She would have to refigure things as well as contact their attorneys to get a figure so they can ADD their attorney fees to my mortgage. She tells me she will call me back by the end of the day and if I don't hear from her to call her back the next day. I was also told that if I don't hear anything back to call 2 weeks prior to the sale date so they can try to postpone the date.

I don't hear from her, haven't heard from her and continue to leave messages and calls are not returned. I am to the point where they can have their house back. I have done all I can and they are not following through on their part. My credit is already ruined. The public sale notice will be posted in the newspaper so everyone can see it and I will be humiliated, even thought I have done everything they have asked for. Flagstar Loss Mitigation is a joke. I wonder how they would feel if it were their home? The auction of the property is in 12 days - and here I am.

• Bl
      14th of Oct, 2009

Same problem, still waiting to get mine modified. Seeing this I feel there is no hope. I have made my montly payments, but barely and will not be able to make the full payment after December. I am at the point that I am going to go to my State Representative.

• Su
      2nd of Nov, 2009

There's all this talk about helping homeowners but nothing is being done. All the while banks have already received their government bailout funding. So unfair to people.
    Former President Bill Clinton suggested a while back that there be a moratorium put on home foreclosures until the whole mess is sorted out. You can bet that banks would be eager to figure out something, make modifications to loans, etc., and call you back quickly at that, if they were not legally able to foreclose on you and kick you out of your house, even if you weren't making payments.
    The banks are greedy and uncaring to people in trouble. It's not people's fault the economy tanked and they find themselves jobless. There has to be a system in place to deal with job losses. Banks don't care. I feel so bad for BlondieRacing, and other people I have known who have come close to foreclosure. She keeps trying to fix things and negotiate something but all the bank really gave her was letters from the lawyers of an impending foreclosure.
    There needs to be some decency in this whole mortgage system. Stop the foreclosures. Putting families on the street is not an answer, it is greed and cruelty. Empty foreclosed homes destroy neighborhoods as well.

• Mt
      6th of Jan, 2010

My husband and I are having the same problems. We even sent in a payment and they sent it back with no explanations. Now, I received a letter from an attorney that they are starting the "foreclosure" procedure. Very disturbing. Where's our bailout?

6th of Feb, 2011

My husband lost one of his incomes, that put a strain on us to pay our monthly payment, when we asked for some sort of modification they told us nothing they can do unless we were 3 months behind, well we fell 3 months, asking for help, sent in all the darn paper work, I went back to work, wanted to just start paying something a month, but were told no, only send full payment owed, still sending paper work, they have trott and trott sending us letters now, its going on a year, we finally heard from flagstar modification dept. they said we dont qualify, isnt that a kicker, said credit is bad, well no kidding, after all the hell they put my family through. I feel horrible, have a little 4 yr old who loves her home, we are depressed over this, I cry every night knowing Im gonna have to leave, All we asked for was to push payment s back, lower interest rate, something would have been great, but to take my home, hard earned money I put in to the home. America is a joke, they take take and take, rich get richer and the middle class, well we are losing everything.

23rd of Mar, 2011

If you are having the problems that EVERYONE is stating ...Read No further complaints...CALL HUD...go to their web site, it will guide you towards finding a counselor...as of today, they are helping my mother who has been LITERALLY experiancing the exact same things with Flag Star since August. Someone on this site made an appt with HUD and they got immediate assistance...thanks for posting!!! Today, my mother contacted a HUD counselor, she talked with him (very knowledgable) for 1.5 hrs, the counselor then called flag star on a 3 way conference call, and took over my moms case, he baisically put Flag Star on notice...This is absolutly the route you need to take...Do NOT give up, that is exactly what they want you to do... go toWWW.HUD.gov to look for the numbers to contact in your state... this is a good post...get on it!

1st of Nov, 2013

Well we started our paperwork about a year ago. We have always faxed updated pay stubs and bank statements whenever we get them. I have always gotten different responses from different agents and depending on who answers the call I will either get some service or the run around. The staff they have are totally incompetent and some really have no idea what they are doing. I always get a different answer to the same question being asked in the same manner. I have left callbacks for Supervisors and also to the case worker handling our Loss Mitigation Paperwork and have not gotten a callback in over 3 months ! We are now 4 months behind on our loan and are very fearful that they do not intend on helping us. I do not understand how that Bank can still be in business with the lack of customer service that the agents have. They show nothing in terms of empathy or even any compassion to the situation.