Fitness First / terrible service

I have been a member of most of the big gym chains in London (including LA Fitness, Fitness First and Virgin) and they continue to amaze me with how appalling the service is and what a bad service experience they provide.

The service is dire and they truly do not care about their customers - I know of no other business which could offer such poor customer service and stay in business.

The facilities aren't normally that good however that isn't my major gripe as they are generally clean. If you do compare them to facilities in the US though they are a lot busier and have less facilities and equipment available per member.

The worst thing however with gyms in London is the sales staff. Unbelievable people. They will literally tell you anything in order to get you to sign up. Will I get a free massage every day, of course sir; Will I be able to get a free burger and chips with each sesssion, why of course madam. The worse thing is there is no come back to these guys and there are very few alternatives, so the customer has very little power in the relationship. The number of stories I have heard where people have been mis-lead into signing a long term contract are most worrying.

For this service we have the privillege of paying somewhere between £30 - £100 per month! Have you ever actually worked out how much that costs per session? If you compare that to gym memberships in the US which average at c.$30 a month even in big cities we can be paying up to 3 to 4 times more than our transatlantic friends!

I have left all gyms behind me and am now enjoying sport at a new sports and social club called 'Come Play Sport' which is more fun, sociable and much cheaper! Until London gym's start concentrating on the customer, re-think their pricing models and invest in modern facilities I won't be going back soon. Hopefully this petition will encourage more people to do the same and force the gym chains to take some action.

Ki

Comments

• Ka
      27th of Feb, 2013

I have been a member of fitness first for around 3 years but recently had a injury which stopped me from being able to use the gym. I phone up and told them and they agreed to put my account on hold until I was better. Then when I got my bank statements they had tried to take the money for 3 months and because there was no money in the account resulted in me gettin hefty bank charges!! Which makes my blood boil!! Then to my disgust I get a letter through the door from a debt collection agency demanding £77 or there taking me to court. I have never in my whole life been so annoyed!!! I have been a loyal member for all this time and this is how they treat you! I have since phone up about 6 times to cancel my membership and they won't let me because my account is in arrears. The customer service team and the managers are rude unhelpful and are just after your money. How dare they tell me I can't cancel my membership!!! At the end of the day I'm not even using the gym and haven't in 99 days so what exactly am I paying for??? When I spoke to the manager she said its like when you buy a car on finance you can't just cancel it!!! Yes love but you actually get to keep the car! What the [censored] am I getting for my money??? Apart from a bunch of money grabbing, uneducated robbing ###! Fitness first?? You should change your name to money first fitness second. Because of them I've totally lost confidence and will probably never join anything again. I hope they get shut down! Miss bamford, York