First Gulf Bank / atm machine policies

Sharjah, AE Review updated:

7 december 2016, around 2 pm.

I am currently in the uae on visit visa and still am using my home country bank account (hdfc, mumbai, india), who provides me with an international debit card for use abroad. I have made successful cash withdrawals with my hdfc debit card before including from the atm in question.

On the 7th december 2016, around 2 pm afternoon, I walk up to the branch atm of first gulf bank for a cash withdrawal, the machine accepting my pin, allows me to choose an amount which I do and takes me to the currency conversion screen which conclusively confirm that my pin was correct. when I select withdrawal, the machine says my card has been retrieved for "security purposes" and the receipt says "transaction declined".

I contact the branch immediately and the security guard directs me to a phone next to the atm asking me to speed dial customer service as they would be able to help. I speak to customer service and I am told they would not be able to confirm why my card has been retrieved and they will not be able to return the card to me as it's a bank policy to destroy all retrieved cards. I ask for a supervisor, a team leader by the name rehman who keeps me waiting again after the agent, comes on the line to tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I lose over half an hour on the phone, by which time the branch is closed. I ask rehman for the name of the agent I spoke to, he says he is not sure, would call me back with the details, takes down my contact number but I never receive a call.

I speak to the security, who now is behind the closed glass doors of the branch, to ask a branch staff to assist me as it is an emergency. he goes in and comes back saying they can't help me. I was rudely ask to leave the premises and contact my own bank. I try and make everyone understand, including customer service and branch security, that my bank is based in india and I am stuck now in a foreign country with no access to my account and no money. no one seemingly understands the gravity of the issue and wants me to understand their policies and getting rid of me from complaining. this is my 1st nightmarish experience being in the uae and I request for a redressal in damages and mental agony.

I hope for justice to be served.

• Updated by AkshayP, Dec 20, 2016

HDFC responds saying they sent me a new card to my Indian address. Is that the solution to my problem? What logic am I missing here when my bank expects me to use my new card sent to my home country while they cancel my current debit card in the middle of an overseas trip.

Ak
Dec 08, 2016

Comments

• Hd
      Dec 09, 2016

Dear Customer,

Regret the inconvenience caused to you. Please mail your us your card and contact details to [protected]@hdfcbank.com . Kindly mention the reference ID : TTU09121666 in subject line for us to track your email. Will check and get back to you.

- Anay
    HDFC Bank Customer Assistance.

• Ak
      Dec 09, 2016

@HDFC Bank_Cares I have contacted you on mail. Kindly find the reference ID as requested.