Fifth Third Bank / poor customer service!

I am a new customer to 5th 3rd...never again! My finace and I bought a Ford Explorer in march of 07. It was used, and the car company stuck it to us charging us more then its worth...ok my bad...but the loan was finalized through 5th 3rd. Everything was fine for awhile and then my hubby to be lost his job...Sheer panic set in as I tried to figure out how to pay the bills. I called their finance department to try and get the payment lowered. She refused saying that I had not had the loan long enough to change arrangements. I was crying and so upset...she said and I swear its truth, "Well have you tried selling your blood? If you give plattlets you will get more money. Or how about a yard sell...my grand mom had one and raised $4000..." Oh you can imagine to what I said to that! She then said, "Well perhaps you need to get another job." I cussed her flat out!!! Who the heck do these people think they are!!! I had at that time a credit score of 7oo!!! I was treated like trash!!! She said, "Well let another bill go to pay us, cause if you dont, we will come get your car and you will owe us anyway." No emotions what so ever...I told her that I would pay it and I would NEVER deal with them again!!! Well I found out that you can pay it late as long as it is not 30 days over and technically they cannot report it on your credit. So for five months I have kept it paid the best way I could...then last night I told them that I was paying it late, told the the amount and everything and they still call my house!!! So I called the call center and got in touch with this horrible non English speaking person...I went off!!! She told me that I had no right calling there and speaking to her in a raised tone. And I told her they had no right to call and badger someone...she then told me, "Well if you were not such a dead beat then we would not have to call!!!" I DEMANDED to speak to her manager...she refused over and over and I kept asking. Finally she hung up on me. I called back and talked to a nicer lady who obliged to my wishes..I reached Jay who was just as rude and sicking...he said if I wasn't a deliquient account, then I wouldnt have issues. I asked him if it was common practice to be talked to like that by them employees...he wouldnt answer me. I told him the payment was made...he smarted off about it being late and so I decided to ask if I needed to sell my blood as his finance department suggsted...he laughed and was very rude again insinuating I was a dead beat by making off color remarks. To anyone reading this, DO NOT USE 5TH 3RD FOR ANYTHING AT ALL!! I hope this bank folds so no one else receives the same treatment as I have. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• Da
      24th of Apr, 2007
    Fifth Third Bank No - Interest Credit Card - This card is the worst!

I made the mistake of getting a no-interest credit card from this outfit. I used it once in December and made my first payment in January. I mailed my second payment on 2/28/07 and Fifth Third didn't post it until 3/12. I also mailed payments to two other companies on the same day using the same mailbox. Those payments cleared my bank before Fifth Third posted my check! Anyways, Fifth Third charged me a $39 late fee and now is assessing finance charges even though this card was to be interest-free until September. They refuse to waive the late fee even though one customer service rep told me it would be. A manager told me that had my account been open for a year they would have waived the fee. Yet another manager told me no such policy exists.

These people are the worst. I've been paying bills for 35 years and have never encountered such a situation. They either had a problem at their lockbox or they deliberately held my payment so that they could assess the fee and start charging interest. I reported this to my congressional representative who in turn referred me to an Illinois agency who has in turn referred me to the Federal Reserve Bank. What I would like to do is pay off the balance except for the $39 late fee and the one-month finance charge they assessed.

• Do
      18th of Oct, 2007
    Fifth Third Bank - Customer Service

Beware of Fifth Third Bank, they are trying to gouge us for over $ 200 for a $ 2 overdraft. These folks are not consumer friendly. There have been numerous complaints on the net about Fifth Third's business practices. Beware!

• Je
      19th of Oct, 2007

Around the middle of September 2007 I closed my bank account so I could open a joint checking account.The checking account which I previously had was where my car loan place, Fifth Third Bank would take out my monthly payments.I had called Fifth Third bank to make sure they received my September payment because it was around the time I had the account closed and the reply I got was "we received your September payment and your next payment will be due by October 26th." A few weeks later I get a letter in the mail from them saying I'm past due on my September payment. I called them and explained that when I called a few weeks earlier I was told my payment was received. The reply I got was, No your payment was not received it was being processed. I hung up with them and a few hours later Fifth Third Bank decides to call my Mother's house whom which I don't live with anymore.When my Mom asked the man what they wanted the man hung up on her. My Mom called them and asked to speak with the Manager to explain that I don't live there anymore and to stop calling her house especially at 8:00 at night. She also told them that I had talked to them just a few hours ago and that it should be in their system. The so called Manager began to say it's not in the system and when my Mom said again I just talked to them the Manager's reply was "Whatever" The following day at 9:00 am Fifth Third Bank proceeds to call my work. I told the lady that I did not appreciate her calling me at work. She says my work number is on the contact list. I said and so is my house number, she said she called my house and it was busy.At 9:00 am on a Wednesday both me and my husband are at work already so no one is in the house.Later that day I look at my caller i.d. on the phone to find out she never called my house.She explains to me that I need to make a payment right away. I told her I was going to be making my October payment this week and that she will get the past due payment when I have the money and that I'm sorry I don't have an extra 300 and some dollars just sitting around.She tells me this is not a good enough answer. I said it's my answer and I don't apprechiate you calling me at work. She interrupts me and asked me again when I'll be making a payment.I said I already told you when I can. She says again that's not an answer. She also tells me that if I don't make a payment that I will be risking having my car taken away. I said I need to get back to my job don't call here again. She says we will keep calling you as many times during the day as we want until we get your payment. I said don't call my work again and I left it at that.The next day, Thursday Oct 18, they called my house 4 times in which I did not answer any of them. I have had my car loan with Fifth Third Bank for about 2 years and I have always been on time with my monthly payments and never had a problem until this. Their customer service is extremely rude and you can never talk to a Manager when asked.

• Ad
      19th of Oct, 2007

When Fifth Third Bank took over Old Kent the problems started.
    Anyone banking with them might know some of them. They include frequent un-notified changes of policy. But the most outrageous are their statements. They are so confusing even the smartest among us would have trouble making sense of them. They include debiting from the lowest to highest but accounting from the highest to the lowest, putting in direct debits late and then charging fees and crediting checks at the end of the day after debiting all the items and then charging fees. The list is endless. Stay away.

• Im
      17th of Nov, 2007

If that's your biggest problem, consider yourself very lucky.

• Im
      17th of Nov, 2007

Sounds like you were dealing with the collections department - which is outsourced. A local bank manager could have helped you. Collectors are evil, paid very little and don't listen to logic. I would never be able to do that job. That can happen with any lender.

• Ka
      3rd of Jan, 2008

I must agreewith the other customer service complaints about 5/3. I opened a checking account with them in conjunction with a mortgage a couple of years ago when relocating to Ohio.... I haven't felt like a valued customer since.

I obtained a loan with them last year for a motorcycle.... when I arrived at the closing I was hit with the news that the loan carries a prepayment penalty. Who does that anymore? I had to make a decision to go to another lender of live with it at the last minute. Nice.

Then recently I thought I'd get a HELOC for some minor home improvements. When I didn't send them my W-2 within three days as they requested, they made me wait three weeks for answer,.... and only because I had to call THEM to find out what was going on. That call required me to speak to 5 different people over a 49 minute phone call, only to be told that the documents that I faxed were difficult to read. You would think that they would have contacted me immediately to resend them. Not the case. Good thing that I wasn't in a hurry for the line of credit.

WHen I tried to explain my frustration to the loan officer, I have yet to receive an apology. I was simply told that they'd be happt to recind the loan application since I feel this way. Polite way to tell me to get screwed.

Will definately be taking my business elsewhere when my ARM is about to expire next year.

• El
      4th of Jan, 2008

I have never been treated so badly by any custmer service rep as I was this morning by a Fifth Third Bank rep. She said her name was Sheila PMBA. I called to make a payment on my car loan. She was extemely rude.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and she refused. She stated she was the one helping me and asked why I needed a supervisor. I told her its my right and my option to ask for one. She never let me speak with anyone.

I was left feeling extremely uncomfortable giving my personal banking information to her in order to make my car payment.
    Please can someone help me? I no longer wish to bank with Fifth Third Bank. I will not be treated so rudely.

I asked which number I was to use if I called back and she said 800-457-0839.

I want to speak to a supervisor!!!

• Ke
      18th of Jan, 2008

I had a car loan for the last 5 years with 5th 3rd. In Sep. they sent me a final payment letter. I paid it and thought I was done with them. A few weeks later I got a default letter saying I owed them 0.00 how starnge, so I called just to make sure everything was paid off & they said the letter should not have been sent out & I was all paid up, all was fine.
    Two weeks before x-mas I got a call that I owed 108.00 in late fees, they put it on hold until after the new year (I told them they would not get any $ out of me right before the holiday).
    I have never gotten a letter from them about this. Only phone calls asking me for the $.
    Tuesday I spoke with Andrea in collections dispute & she was nice, but wants the $ and does not care about what letters I have, I signed a contract & that means something, but their letters don't count (?).
    So I called back & spoke with Charles in collections, I explained that I don't feel comfortable giving them this money when I have back up that says I dont owe. I am not giving them my $ without at first looking into it.
    He told me that this is "just not clicking with me" about 25 times. I asked for his manager & he refused over and over again. This person I have never met brought me to tears of anger! He finally put his manager, Derrick Flynt on & he basically stuck up for Charles. So, I ended it with I am not paying any $ without an investigation on my part.
    What guarantee do I have that I give them the $ they want now and in 3 months they call again and want more? Wheres my protection from this company?
    Well guess what? This morning I got a call from Kristen at 5th 3rd collections telling me I owe them over 600.00 !!! I am disgusted with this company and not one employee can give me the name of a upper level manager that I can take this too.
    sorry this was long, but it sure felt good to get it out!
    I am not bending over and giving them a dime without a fight !!!

• Te
      28th of Jan, 2008

Here's a bank that doesn't charge overdraft fees.

• Pa
      19th of Mar, 2008
    Fifth Third - Over limit fees!
    Fifth Third

I have a credit card with 5/3 which was actually an overdraft protection. I closed the related checking account because they were charging me more than I feel they should (I had a $25000 auto loan with them, yet they felt that they could not reverse over $200 in fees they charged for transactions totaling less than $12). So I closed both checking and auto loans. Now I have to mail the payments for the credit card because you cant pay online unless you have a checking account with them. I mailed a payment on the 2nd, my bill was due on the 7th. My check was posted on the 11th (even though I live in IL, and I mailed to OH, it took almost 10 days to get there). I was charged $78 in fees. I feel this is robbery- I closed the account- and have vowed NEVER to open a 5-3 account again.

Smaller banks or credit unions seem to be better than these huge commercial banks.

• Me
      3rd of Apr, 2008

As a fifth third customer...they let my debit/credit card expire...took three calls to customer service to issue a new card..I learned you can not get a temporary atm card issued...unless you go to the branch where you opened your account. In my case it was 75 miles away. Also had my taxes electronicaly filed and to be directed deposited into my account...used the routing number and account number on my checks...when the irs sent it to my account it was rejected by fifth third and sent back to the irs because they stated the routing number was wrong...even though it had my correct address and correct account number on it...customer service stated it is not there job to call me and notify me of a problem...I have complained and complained but it does no good...so i will no longer be a customer of fifth third...
    to all you customer service reps at fifth third...you stink...

• Em
      4th of Apr, 2008

I am very discouraged by everyone in the lease termination department and the customer service department. I have been disputing a charge and everyone I talk to gives me the run around. I leave messages and nobody calls me back. Some people say sorry its too late you are going to have to pay anyway. Nobody wants to actually look into the situation and find out how they can help. I have even gotten people who refuse to transfer me to anybody else. I feel like they don't care about their customers, only getting the money that I shouldn't have owed in the first place. To make matters worse, I got the bill only a month ago and they have already reported me to collections and told me it was going to be on my credit report despite the fact that I am trying to dispute it. I'm tired of the collections department calling 5 - 10 times a day and not understanding that I am trying to dispute this charge. I am tired of talking to people who don't actually care about their customers. That shows a reflection of the bank. Who would ever want to bank with people who don't seem to care about you. I want a bank that will try to understand my situation and research it to the best of their ability and help me come up with a reasonable solution.

• Bi
      7th of May, 2008

May 7, 2008

To:
    Fifth Third Bank
    PO Box 630778
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45263-0778

Regional Adjustments Bureau Incorp.
    7000 Goodlett Farms Pkwy.
    Condova, TN 38016-4916
    1-900 382 0250

Better Business Bureau
    1005 LaPosada
    Austin, TX 78752
    512-445-2911

Subject: Harassment

Un like you, I am going to give you the courtesy to let you know of a potential problem.

First, if a problem arises with any loans I have, I expect the bank to at least contact me before turning the dogs loose. That never occurred. Second, the dogs never contacted me either. But did make contact with neighbors and family members, and never stated what the problem was nor would they accept my home phone number so that contact could be made.

I identified the problem with the bank and paid with penalty prior to any of this BS surfacing. What amazes me is, all of this occurred on a monthly note that was less then 20 days late. Needless to say, both companies involved have acted in a less then professional manner, in fact, it is down right sleazy.

Here is the potential problem, if I find out about any more of this kind of activity, I wont stop with the BBB and you will hear from my lawyer.

William Zech

• Gi
      27th of May, 2008

Harassment!

Our car payments are made through 5th 3rd and due the 17th of each month with a 10-day grace period. Since my husband's SS check arrives on the 22th, we pay our bill within the 10-day time frame allowed BY LAW. We've never been late. We've never missed a payment. We've explained the situation to them.

However, Fifth/Third phones our home repeatedly if the bill isn't paid by the 17th. It's an automated message that connects us to an operator. IF we don't speak to the operator, the phone calls continue until we do.

On Memorial Day weekend, we paid the bill at a Fifth Third branch on Saturday morning (the 24th.)
    Yet, they still phoned our home four times Saturday, waking up kids and friends who were trying to sleep after a long trip and late night arrival. They also phoned once on Monday(26th), then again on Tuesday (27th). Their excuse is that their computer won't log our payment until Tuesday evening at midnight.

These calls were placed on a National Holiday weekend, for heaven's sake, to long time customers who regularly pay their bills.

To say we're furious is an understatement. We're considering legal action.

• Da
      27th of May, 2008

Well If you customers keep complaining about being called and disturbed just to collect money, the aswer is very simpe! PAY ON TIME! if yo u have a credit card I think you should first know the meaning of responsability, or if you can't pay I suggest stop paying with it. If you think you are disturbed being called just think on the people you disturb too, just pay on time I don't think It's that hard.

• Va
      17th of Jun, 2008
    Fifth Third Bancorp - They are thieves
    Fifth Third Bancorp
    www.53.com

They fee you to death...They robbed us 396.00 in the last week!!! When we called them to try and understand and to try to have them refund some of the money they STOLE from us we spoke with Jessica. She could not and would not explain how and why they STOLE our money only citing it was their POLICY. Their policy only gives them a right to STEAL from you and not have to explain. The only thing these people are missing is a ski-mask and gun because they are THIEVES!!! They used to put deposits in before running your debits which is how NORMAL banks do it but, about a year ago these THIEVES changed their policy to where they run your debits first before running your deposits so they can rob you with overdraft fees!!! They should be ashamed!!!

• We
      24th of Jul, 2008

I've been a Fifth Third Customer for years. Recently I received my statement and found a transaction that was made from another country, as well as an international transaction fee, that I did not make. I have been on the phone for many hours trying to get this resolved and still nothing. The customer service represatives are incompetent and rude. Maybe I should start charging them for my time. What a JOKE!!!

• Ca
      26th of Aug, 2008

I have also had terrible service from fifth third bank and the reason is they have out sourced. These people can hardly speak english and are terribly rude. I called today for a pay off on my house and they did not understand what I was trying to do so they would yell at me if they could not finish reading off their script of what to say. Don't interrupt them when they are reading their script as they don't understand what you are trying to say. What a joke. This is the United States and you should be giving these jobs to our people. No wonder our economy is in such a mess. I will never do business with this bank again. If this is what we are experiencing what about the people that have not taken the time to complain.

• Ms
      20th of Sep, 2008

One evening I called the fifth third banks 800 # for an automated update on my checking
    accounts. I thought I had become the victim of 'identity theft', as both my balances were
    way off. One balance stated a $3.oo balance, when it should have been over $250.00,
    The other account info stated an even worse error, reporting a balance that was so way off, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I even called the 800 # two more times to be certain of what I heard. Yes, I did hear it right, and I was in a panic all night, as they no longer have
    a 24 hour service that you can contact.
    I immediately called my credit card companies, and luckily they were at a correct balance,
    which gave me some comfort.
    After hardly sleeping all night, I called the 800 # at 8 a.m., and my balances were then correct. When I reported it to my local banking office, and to customer service at the 800 #,
    and asked if other customers had reported this same problem, I was told this was the first they heard about it. This incident occured right after I had initiated a dispute with fifth third bank, concerning a single debit that they deducted twice from my account (their error), and it
    had turned into a rediculous financial debate, trying to get my own money back from them !
    I believe it was done on purpose, to come back at me for standing up to them, as just when the bank opened the next morning my balances were correct. Coincidence, or what ?!!?
    " Yes", you do "STINK" !!!