Fifth Third Bank / overcharging late fees and escrow

I have been trying to correct an overcharging problem with this bank for about 2 months now. When asked to speak to someone else, the girl said "sure... you can call back" and hung up on me. I am being overcharged on late fees, double to triple for about 4 years now. they were overcharging me in my monthly payments by almost 100 dollars per month for over 16 months. I was told they would have to recalculate and that takes time! I am still waiting. And to top it off, they were taking me to court for being behind on my payments. I could have lost my home. So far I have found about 2 k they overcharged me. And I am still not done. I have to go over one issue at a time since that is all they can handle.

Comments

• Ms
      16th of Mar, 2009

I have a mortgage account with 5/3rd Bank which was established in August of 2008. I received a letter along with a bill in the mail, in February, stating my escrow account was short about $2, 000.00. I called customer service mortgage department and could not get a valid reason for this shortage. I was also told during the telephone conversation that my escrow account had a negative balance, which was lower, in October. October was when my 1st mortgage payment was due. I then decided to call the lender that opened the account and she stated it was due to homeowners' insurance and taxes. I asked why I wasn't informed sooner and how could this have happened within a few months. No one wants to be bothered and I'm constantly given the same explanation by customer service who will not allow me to speak to anyone else such as a supervisor or manager. I also, have been requesting bank statements of payments for the account and still haven't received them. I now realize how some people lose their homes.

• Li
      31st of Mar, 2010

I got letter saying my escrow was 3 grand d short. And they raisin my pmts to 1450 a month...1600 if I don't pay the 3 grand in 2 weeks! I'm going in To meet someone. Not leaving til its fixed. I lived in my house a year so far... they messed with the wrong hombre.

• Mi
      2nd of Aug, 2010

(1) Fifth Third didn't pay my 2008-09 taxes because they inadvertently froze my escrow account during a refinancing process.

(2) Despite assurances they would pay late payment fee penalties due to the treasurer's office, Fifth Third paid the penalties from my escrow - information I found out only incidentally when I called regarding the status of my account - and two supervisors refused to reverse the payment, insisting i was responsible for my taxes. A third supervisor finally agreed with me.

(3) I have just been informed that I have an escrow shortage of $4405 that once paid will result in a $70 increase in my mortgage payments - this despite my taxes actually having gone down!

• Mi
      4th of Apr, 2012

We were in a tornado and our insurance cut us check with our name and 5th 3rd. And weeks later we have still not seen the money. Every Time we call they tell us lie after lie. We have done all they ask of us but we have not got any help. They are also rude.