Expedia.ca / hotel was in bankruptcy when I booked

Dundas, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-690-4437
We booked a one week vacation through expedia.ca at The Beach House Barbuda in November for travel on February 14,2008. While browsing a travel forum yesterday, I discovered that the Beach House has been closed since September. I contacted expedia customer relations and spoke to a rep. The rep called the hotel while I was on hold and then came back to me and said there was no answer and that he would give me the number to call. I pointed out that I shouldn't incur the long distance charges and that it was Expedia's responsibility. I repeatedly asked to speak to a supervisor and was refused. I arranged for the rep to call me back and let me know. A few hours later he reported that the resort was closed and they would refund the money. I asked whether I would have been notified ahead of time and got no response. Given that we had also booked a helicopter to get there and had non refundable airline tickets to Antigua, this has been a nightmare. As of today, you can still purchase a package to the Beach House through expedia.

Comments

B
  16th of Jan, 2008
Suggest you tell them you will get the police involved - this is fraud.
Jo
  21st of Jan, 2008
EXPEDIA is a fraud: http://www.expedianews.com.
Mi
  24th of Jan, 2008
You may want to prevent a future "nightmare" by purchasing travel insurance.

p.s.
Even non-refundable tickets can sometimes be changed for a fee - ask your travel agent.
Je
  14th of Mar, 2008
hey its not fraud. it is the hotels responsibility to notify expedia if they have any changes. so if the hotel was closed for good they should have told expedia. how is expedia supost to know if the hotel does not tell them? true.....i think so. and as to fruad how is it fruad its not like expedia is using fake names or using your credit card for unknown purchases right so no fraud sorry but no
Wi
  21st of May, 2008
I have been charged $12.95 per month, how can I stop the charges. I did sign up a free credit report, and do not remember agreeing to pay $12.95 monthly for any service. Just how do I stop the charge.

WWR