[Resolved] Etihad Airways / missing and stolen luggage complaint

1 Etihad Airways - Head office, New Airport Road, Khalifa City A, PO Box 35566, Abu Dhabi, UAEAbu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Review updated:

I flew from Barcelona to Singapore on Etihad with three connecting flights. My luggage was lost for two weeks and then items were missing when it was finally returned. I filed a complaint over a month ago and have yet to hear back from their customer service department. Flights: Nov 17th Barcelona-Rome AZ75 Nov 17th Rome -Abu Dhabi EY84 Nov 18th Abu Dhabi -Singapore EY470 When I arrived in Singapore my luggage was not there. I filed a report with the lost luggage department at the Singapore airport. My reference #SINEY12252. It took the Etihad office a week to find my bag and another week for them to actually get it to me. I called their Singapore office everyday and they were not very helpful. For the first week they only told me they had no idea where my bag was and they would keep looking. Then when they did finally find it they said they would send it to Singapore that day but it was again delayed for two more days. Finally, they forwarded it to Bangkok airport where I was but they would not forward it to my hotel. I had to pay to take a taxi to and from the airport to pick it up. And when I finally received my bag there were items missing. Two boxes of souvenir shot glasses I had bought and my digital camera, which had a value of $200. My bag was locked with a TSA lock so I do not understand how my bag was opened. I have many problems with how my case was handled. First, I repeatedly received poor service from Etihad customer service department. The agents rarely knew what was going on with my case and I constantly had to repeat the specifics of my case. I was originally told by the Bangkok airport that they didn't know anything about my luggage. They seemed very confused about the whole thing. I had to call back numerous times before they could find my bag. I am backpacking around Europe and Asia so the bag they lost was my only bag. It had pretty much everything I owned in it. It was very inconvenient and expensive to buy new things in Singapore. I had to buy new clothing (over $100), adapters ($15), personal care products ($20), a new backpack ($30), and a number of other things. I received $75 from the lost luggage department in Singapore but this was not nearly enough for the new things I had to buy. I have receipts for some of the things, but honestly I bought most of my clothes and backpack in Chinatown in Singapore, as it was the cheapest place I could find, and they do not give receipts. And finally I had to pay for a taxi to and from the Bangkok airport ($30) to pick up the bag once they finally found it. This was an unacceptable waste of my time and money. Another problem is my missing camera and souvenirs. After the headache of being without my bag for two weeks I finally get it back and things are missing. This is unacceptable. I had a number of souvenir shot glasses in two boxes and a Canon camera missing. I filed a complaint for the delayed and missing baggage to Etihad through the email baggageclaims@etihad.ae on 12/04/2015. I received an email response on 12/06 saying they had received my email and would be contacting me as soon as possible. They gave me a reference number RQID:407737. On 12/21/15 I had yet to hear back from Etihad so I sent them an email asking to be updated on my complaint. They responded with the same generic email from previously, saying they would “contact me as soon as possible.” I then tried calling their customer service hotline but was told complaints can only be handled through the email I had sent the complaint to….baggageclaims@etihad.ae. I also tried to contact them through their facebook account on 12/23/15 and 1/13/16. Both times I was told they would forward my information to the complaint department and someone would contact me in the near future regarding my case. I have yet to hear anything from them. I am beyond frustrated with Etihad airlines and how my case is being treated. I have received poor service from them since the beginning and I expect more from an international airline that claims to be first class. I filed my complaint more than six weeks ago and have yet to hear anything from them. I have tried every way I know: calling, emailing, facebook, to get in touch with them. This is my last resort.

• Resolution statement

• Etihad Airways Customer Care's Response, Feb 02, 2016

Dear Valary,

Thanks for coming to us and sharing this experience! We apologise for the delay and would like to help you.
    We can see you case number and this being with our baggage claims team. We will contact our team and ask for this to be look at as a priority to help and update you as quick as possible. We do appreciate your patience and understand. We will be in touch soon. Thank you *GW

• Etihad Airways Customer Care's Response, Feb 24, 2016

Hi again Valary,
    We are sorry for the delay, can we have your case ID or interaction number so we can follow up with your case. Thank you. *HE

• Etihad Airways Customer Care's Response, Mar 01, 2016

Hi Valary,

Please accept our apologies again for this delay, we have sent an urgent message to our team to review this case number and update you accordingly.

Kind regards *GW

Vp
Jan 21, 2016

Comments

• Vp
      23rd of Feb, 2016

An update on my complaint...
    I was hopeful when I received the comment from Etihadhelp on February 2nd. I also received an email a few days later appologizing for Etihad's lack of attention to my case. The email asked me to forward them copies of my boarding passes and passport, along with a few other documents. The email also stated that my case was a priority and they would get back to me as soon as possible. I was very hopeful at the time that my complaint was finally being taken seriously. But, alas, it has been three weeks and I have had no other correspondence from Etihad.

24th of Feb, 2016

Case ID is RQID:407737

14th of Mar, 2016

Another update on my complaint...
    I feel like it is becoming a habit for me to have to update this every two weeks. On March 1st I received a message from EtihadHelp stating that they had sent an urgent message to their team and they would be reviewing my case and getting back to me soon. Well, it's been two weeks and still no replie. I would think a company that large who prides themselves on being a luxury airline would have better customer service. I have been told twice by EtihadHelp over the last month that they would make my case a priority or that they were urgently forwarding my details to others but still I have yet to see any results.

• Gd
      2nd of Apr, 2016

You were lucky. Their lost baggage service is crazily slow.
    They lost my luggage in Abu Dhabi during a connection fro Hong Kong. Even if I contacted them every single day, they were able to deliver the luggage in Hong Kong after 10 days!
    After that I sent them a request of refund and they answered after more than 5 months saying they will not refund!
    I wrote a post on this website about my problem, you can check it if you need more details.
    They are very kind on social networks but when it comes to refund or give us assistance they are very slow and careless.
    Etihad Airlines we need facts not excuses!