[Resolved] Etihad Airways / forced to pay for access luggage

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Review updated:

In December, we were planning to visit India to meet family and friends. Having heard good things about Etihad, we decided to book tickets with a stopover in Abu Dhabi & Dubai on return. The flight to India was good (except food) without any drama.

While returning to Melbourne with family, we started our journey on 8 Jan 2017 from Jaipur airport by Etihad flight EY 207. At Jaipur airport, the check-in staff allowed us to check-in all 6 baggage without any issue.

As planned, we had a great time in AbuDhabi & Dubai for 5 days. At the end of it, we arrived at the Abu Dhabi airport with all the baggage to check-in for our next flight EY486 to Melbourne via Perth. The staff at the airport refused to check-in and demanded we pay for the access luggage referring to the tickets that allowed 4 baggage. The staff even threatened to call police if I didn't pay. In the middle of my journey, traveling with young family, I was left with no other option but to pay to safely leave UAE. It literally felt like extortion. It seems, the staff at Abu Dhabi airport didn't hold any respect for passengers. When I requested for some help, the person said, why should I let go the revenue. I think what they didn't understand is the importance of repeat business.

The experience was traumatic and unprofessional. Had that been pointed out at Jaipur airport where we begin our return journey, we would have made alternative arrangements but at Abu Dhabi airport, we were left with no option. We wish we had left UAE with good memories.

I sincerely request a full refund. Thank you for your consideration.

RQID:521188

• Resolution statement

• Etihad Airways Customer Care's Response, Feb 06, 2017

Dear Guest,

We have checked this case number and can see our team have sent you a final letter in regards to your recent experience. With regret we are no longer able to assist here at social media as our Guest Relations team have advised accordingly. *Gill

Oj
Feb 5, 2017

Comments

• Oj
      16th of Feb, 2017

Dear Gill

Thank you for your response.

I don't believe the issue has been resolved yet. If that had been the case, I wouldn't be complaining here.

I hope you reconsider your decision and provide a full refund.

Thank you.