[Resolved] Enterprise Rent A Car / false damage claim

1 MD, United States Review updated:

I had a rental car from Enterprise while my car was in the shop. Enterprise had a satillete desk in the auto body shop, and I was able to get my rental car there! However, when my vehicle was ready at the auto body shop, there was no one to check in my rental at the enterprise desk. I was instructed to leave my keys with the front desk at the auto body shop. I inspected the car, and there was no damage done. I was called 2 hrs later from someone at the main branch stating that significant damage was done to the car, and that I was responsible for it until it was checked in (2 hrs later!!). I took Enterprise to small claims court, and won. I'm interested connecting with other folks who had similar issues to talk about legal rights. If you'd like to learn more about taking some legal action, please contact me at enterpriseclaims@hotmail.com (not associated with Enterprise, just don't want to give out my personal e-mail). Hope to hear from anyone soon.

• Resolution statement

• Enterprise Holdings Customer Care's Response, Apr 17, 2018

Pbst, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send a detailed email to ehiescalationscc@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you. - Carol H.

Comments

• Ib
      23rd of Sep, 2009

i rented a car for 3 days from enterprise. the pre rental cursery walk around for damage was done. the car, a 2009 nissan sentra, was parked with among other vehicles in a lot under a tree. a scratch was noted. nothing else was immediately evident. i drove the car to my destination, parked in an assigned spot, and did not drive again till i returned the vehicle.
    upon return i parked the car in the driveway, in full sunlight, with no other vehicles around. the attendant noted some ripple markes in the lower passenger door saying they were "dents". it looked like a manufacturer defect but was only evident because of the bright sunlight and angle of view. the attendant allowed me to note my impression of the ripples on their form.
    a week later i got a bill for >$1700. i had expected a call from enterprise but that never occured. the bill from them stated "customer dropped off the rental and there is a few dents on the pass. side door did not know how it got there. could have been there." i am not responsible for any damage. i took pictures. even in the pics it is difficult to see any damage unless you know what to look for.
    if it had been my car my insurance company would have requested estimates before any work was done. interesting that enterprise was so quick to act.

• Oi
      30th of Sep, 2009

This is very common for Enterprise, they walk around the making it look like they are looking for damage, the customer usually follows along not really looking. Enterprise will knowingly rent a car that was damaged by the previuos renter, they just never caught it on the check in when it was returned, they will then claim it on the next renter (you) if they don't notice the dent when they sign for the car. They also will rent out cars with out of date tags and bald tires and other safety items that need attention. They do not work on commission, but get promoted on the numbers they produce...insurance is a big one, Enterprise is self insured, so every dollar is profit.

• Tr
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Enterprose rent a car has a $400 Dent Scam that is a National issue...look up all of the reports on Riffoffreport.com...the company stinks...NEVER rent from them, ...they should be closed down...and sued...

• Tr
      2nd of Oct, 2009

SUE THIS AWFUL AND CORRUPT RENT A CAR COMPANY SINCE THEY HAVE A HUGE SCAM---DENT SCAM THAT IS NATIONAL>>>>>>WHERE ARE THE INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISTS?????????????????

• Wo
      26th of May, 2011

Just got caught in this same scam - rented an Enterprise vehicle from a small Enterprise counter at Craig's Collision @ 2078 West Hwy 14, in Grapevine, Texas. There was a huge hailstorm last night, but the rental was parked in my garage - in fact in the over week and a half of waiting for our car to be fixed we drove the car a total of 5 or 6 times, all during non-rain or stormy times. The Enterprise guy, James J. Cox, according to the report, pointed at the roof and said there was hail damage he pointed to a spot on it, and I could not see a thing - the storms that hit were dropping golfball to baseball sized hail on 5/24/11 and if the car had been out in the storm, there would be a tremendous amount of damage.

When I rented the vehicle, it was brought to me with soaking wet seats and interior - I was told that it had been "just been detailed" - the car had a total of 1040 miles on it at the time. The roof was wet, so if there was a ding, I would never be able to see it anyways - and what this guy pointed at was invisible to me. I told him that I can't see anything, and he replied that he "was trained" in checking for this kind of damage.

In any event, I will be referring this to my insurance company and informing them that I believe it is a case of insurance fraud by both Craig's Collision and the Enterprise location, and I assure you, I will make it my new hobby to fight this if they try and make a claim against me.

12th of Aug, 2012

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care[at]Enterprise.com with your full name, the exact rental location and any other details.

When emailing, please list reference # 120812-000562 the subject line.

Gillian T.
    Social Monitor Coordiantor

• Un
      13th of Aug, 2012

Gillian,

My issues have already been solved in Small Claims court.

• Av
      2nd of Oct, 2012

Thank you very much for offering information to former or current Enterprise Rent A Car customers who are interested in pursuing legal action against the company for all the false damage claims frequently made by this rental car's employees at various locations around the country. I will be in touch with you by e-mail soon to learn more.

As insurance fraud in the matter described below might be a very real possibility, I plan to soon consult with legal counsel and at least the following federal, state and local government agencies and public organizations regarding this matter - filing legal/official complaints with them against Enterprise Rent A Car’s national operations and certain Las Vegas-based employees if appropriate: The FBI (Las Vegas, NV office), The Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection, U.S. Postal Inspection Service Mail Fraud Investigations, The National Insurance Crime Bureau, the State of Nevada Office of the Attorney General Insurance Fraud Unit, Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Fraud Detail, and the Southern Nevada Better Business Bureau. I have already contacted my auto insurance carrier's fraud unit. I will also be getting in touch with Mr. Christopher Elliot, an internet author, consumer advocate and journalist about this problem to see if he can help me resolve it satisfactorily. His car rental scam webpage can be found at: http://www.elliott.org/blog/was-i-scammed-by-my-car-rental-company/

My experience with Enterprise Rent A Car was similar to yours in that I was instructed by phone to drop my car off – without any known damage to it at all - at a car dealer where repair work on my vehicle was being conducted on a Saturday afternoon. Dropping the car off in this manner was evidently deemed necessary by the dealer’s staff because the Enterprise branch located on that same dealer’s lot was closed on the weekends. Interestingly, the Enterprise employee who originally checked the car out to me the previous day had told me to return the car to a different Enterprise branch nearby. For the record, I first complied with his initial instruction but was then, as I said above, told over the phone by a different person to drive the car several blocks up the street to the dealer's lot. I subsequently did so, giving the rented car’s keys to one of the car dealer’s service department workers who told me that everything would be fine as they did this kind of thing all the time.

However, on Monday morning, I received a call from the manager of the now open Enterprise branch claiming that the car had been returned with damage and that I needed to come down and see it for myself.

When I arrived at the branch a short time later, the car was actually in a different location quite far away being ‘serviced’ at a franchise-type garage. The Enterprise employee who then accompanied me to this garage COULD NOT point out the alleged problems but instead knew to push on the passenger-side headlight which rocked in its holder a bit and so was ‘damaged.’ I let him know immediately that I was never instructed by the Enterprise employee that signed the car out to me a day earlier – and who was evidently not a regular employee of this branch and who clearly told me only to look for 4+ inch scratches on the car – to push on all of the car’s lights. I therefore concluded to him that Enterprise could not reasonably be expected to hold me responsible for that alleged problem.

Incredibly, upon returning to that branch office, the Enterprise manager told me that there were now visible scratches on the front of the vehicle that weren’t there before I took the car and that the bumper is presently a different height on one side than it was before. Further discussion involving me stating that this entire matter seemed likely totally false and incredibly unfair to me given: 1) the inspection instructions I received by the employee checking the car out to me and 2) the ambiguous nature of the car’s return to this Enterprise branch where it was out of my direct control for at least a day and a half (Saturday afternoon around 3pm to Monday morning 9am). I also expressed my concern that this type of unbelievably picky and threatening behavior by the Enterprise company could possibly indicate fraudulent activity to law enforcement, investigators, etc.

In the end, the manager stated to me numerous times that this matter was resolved, she’ll pay for the repairs (which I still maintained were not necessary since there was a complete discrepancy between her claims and mine), I will be charged nothing for any of this, and that the whole incident is totally finished and I’ll never hear about it again. She said she would lose money personally resolving the problem in this way (because, according to her, the car would have to be repaired from the profits the branch took in which would then reduce the percentage of profits she would later be paid). I tried to make it a win-win for all of us by offering her some money to compensate her for any lost profit percentage payments but she refused, saying she’d be fired if they found out she did that kind of thing. We then shook hands and exchanged goodbyes. Everything seemed amicably resolved at that point in time.

Then, today, a week after the whole matter supposedly was ‘finished, ’ I get a letter from Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit in Texas indicating that a claim has been file against me for unnamed damages involving unnamed amounts of money to the vehicle the car dealer’s General Manager had rented for me to use while my car was being repaired.

This message and the above actions I have taken or will take constitute my partial response to that mailed letter.

--A very unhappy doctor in Vegas

13th of Nov, 2012

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care[at]Brand.com with your full name, the exact rental location and any other details. (Tatiana)

When emailing, please list reference # 121113-001173 the subject line.

(Tatiana)

• Sc
      22nd of Jul, 2013

I had the same thing happen to me! I returned the car at a drop off since they closed at 1:00 and then received a $500 bill for damages. But the estimate they sent was for the WRONG car. Same make and color but the wrong license plate. I call them to let them know of their error and they said, "how do you know what the license plate was? Nobody ever knows what the license plate was." I have a video of the car with the license plate that shows the care has NO damage to the car. I send them the evidence that they have the wrong car and they said they have to investigate it. They have yet to let me know that they made a mistake. I think this is conspiracy to commit fraud. What are the odds that they happen to make a mistake of the wrong license plate associated with the car I rented and it being the same make, model, and color. And if I didn't have the evidence I do, you can guarantee they would be holding me liable for the damage I didn't do.

22nd of Jul, 2013

I would like to discuss this further. Please email me at care@enterprise.com with the complete details, exact renting location, and any rental agreement numbers. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you. Chris

Please reference #130722-003126 in your email.

• Se
      18th of Dec, 2013

I am in the process of seeking legal counsel about a similar issue. I was given a minivan that was really dirty and covered with dirt all around. During the walk around did not notice any problems, mainly due to the car being so dirty. I finally noticed a scratch once I got home and in direct sunlight, called Enterprise and told them that something was missed. They told me it would be fine and not to worry about it. I dropped off the vehicle, then two days later I got a call from them stating that I returned the vehicle with severe damage and that they were going to submit a claim. Apparently the person who did my walkaround happened to be the store manager, and she was completely in defense mode saying that she never saw a thing. A day later they charged my account $583 dollars without even telling me this was happening. I called the location with no help given. I called claims department and talked to an adjuster and the lady who took care of me was more than rude, and essentially told me that I signed a contract, that I was a liar and that I had to pay. Worst service ever with no effort being made to listen to the customer, but instead go after the money. I am definitely calling a lawyer on this matter because this is just plain ridiculous and wrong.

19th of Dec, 2013

Sebastian,
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As customer service is of the utmost importance, we would like the opportunity to look into this concern for you. Please contact us at Care@Enterprise.com with complete details, including the exact rental location, your contact information, rental agreement number, the damage claim number (if you have it) and any further information regarding this incident.

When emailing, please list Reference Number 131219-001918 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    Mitch
    Social Media Coordinator
    Enterprise

• Ps
      21st of Jan, 2014

I had a similar situation where my personal car was rear-ended and so the other person's insurance company had my car in for repair and directed me to Enterprise for a rental during that time. When I picked up the car from Enterprise I pointed out several dings, marks in the paint but was told by their employee that unless they are larger than this plastic card he has, they don't need to make note of it. I was scheduled to fly out of state shortly before my car was expected to be ready, so I dropped off the car at Enterprise (they were closed for the weekend) and put the keys in the drop box. When I returned I had two voice mails from them, one saying there was some damage found but then the second saying they were closing out my contract and to call back if I had any customer satisfaction issues. Several weeks later I received a letter saying they had a claim on the vehicle for damages! I emailed them back where the letter said, explained the car was in the same condition when I returned it as when I rented it. Then today I get a call from them that there were repairs over $1300 and how did I want to pay for them?! I explained again, that the car was in the same condition when I returned it as when I rented it and was told maybe someone damaged it in their parking lot but I was still responsible. I have a call into my insurance agent now for suggestions as to how to handle this but I have a huge issue with paying (either myself personally OR my insurance company) for something that did not occur while in my possession. I am now reading lots of accounts of people who were charged for damages they did not do! I know I for one will refuse to do business with them again, even if the insurance company tells me I need to go to them. I have always found them to be very pushy to purchase their CDW insurance which is outrageously priced anyway when I already carry insurance at a fractiion of the price, maybe that's their 'punishment' for not paying for that but it is certainly unethical.

• Up
      9th of Jun, 2014

I rented a car from your company on the recommendation of My Insurance Company and the Body shop that worked on my car after we had a car accident. The shop we went to is in Hamilton Ontario Canada with an address 1124 Rymal Road East, Hamilton. When I picked up the car the agent went over the car with me however he didn’t point out the scratches that were on the bumper on the back of the car and when I pointed out those scratches and some were disturbing he said and I quote “ don’t worry about it as we don’t look at them on if there are big dents in the car” and after he repeated it twice I took the car and few days later we returned the car in the same condition we took it and when another agent came out and inspected the car she accused us of having damaged the car. I explained that those scratches were there when we picked the car she said there is a very small dent on the trunk door of the car. I explained that we didn’t damage the car and that door was like that because it’s exactly where the scratches I originally showed the agent were. I demanded to speak to the agent that rented us the car as he was in the store she refused and said he went to lunch although she took him to the car and they spoke for a bit and then he disappeared. I explained to her that this dent was there from before and I think she knew about it because when she came out first to inspect she pointed that dent out which is not that visible as there is no shipped paint on it also she didn’t see any scratches on the bumper that I pointed out to her because they were there from before. She also never checked the Gas tank mar on the car, she didn’t take the mileage readout, she didn’t check the inside of the car as if her purpose was to point out a dent that at first glimpse you wouldn’t see or think it’s part of the car’s design. When I went to the auto body shop to pick up my car as it was done the owner saw how upset I was and I explained what has happened he said let me speak to her. When he did she was very unreasonable and abrupt with him as she was with us and very uncompromising that he became upset and told me I need to contact head office. I got the regional manager’s number (Steve Sabadin) and I contacted him right away however no one answered and I left a message to be contacted back with urgency however no one called me back I called Steve back 3 times and left messages but to no answer. We are extremely disappointed in the customer service treatment we received and the uncompromising way of the manager’s attitude. She was too concerned of just filling the issue right away and not concerned that we are speaking to her and the way she dismissed us and our end of the story like we don’t exist and don’t matter. I can safely say I will never rent from your company and I will make sure everyone I know will not either. And the body shop will not recommend you now either. Plus your company have charged my credit card when the manager specifically said I have no charges coming to me in terms of rental as the insurance company covered that so she had no authority in doing that. What she did was very underhanded and disgusting. I’m reading about my similar situation with a lot of other people who dealt with your company. I’m going to contact my local TV station to look into this as I’m sure I’m not the only one in my city this had happened to.

• Di
      3rd of Jul, 2014

I rented a car from Harrisburg PA Enterprise and had
    it for 3 weeks. My car was being worked on in Maryland body shop, so my
    dad was going to drop it off for me as I was busy the day it was ready
    & he was off as it was summer & he is an educator. The car was
    fine the whole time I had it. He visited the local enterprise to be
    added to the rental, and they gave him numbers of 3 Maryland locations
    to contract to discuss the return. The closest location to the body shop
    instructed him to just leave the keys with the body shop & they
    will pick up later that day. The body shop said that's fine they do it
    all the time. He did a walk around the car because he was there &
    waiting for my car, and nothing noticeable. It is notable that there
    were light scratches all over the car, which were dismissed by the local
    enterprise. Actually when I got the car the local rep had me initial no
    damage before checking it out while inside getting my insurance info.
    This was fine as i
    figured we could change anything if it jumped out. We went outside to
    check it out & there were scratches but they said none were big
    enough to count. Then they took the car to the side of the building to
    wash it with a broom, leading me to believe it had just been returned
    (with 1/8th of a tank) and they prob
    hadn't really checked it from the guy before me. Which is fine, there
    are light scratches over the car, they don't consider that damage,
    that's their policy. But the day after it was returned to Maryland, the
    PA rep calls me and says Maryland branch says there are "deep scratches"
    on the back. Didn't know which side or where exactly they were, but she
    has to write up an incident report. Whatever, let me know. Then 3 days
    later I get claim paperwork wanting my credit card & insurance info.
    My dad is sure it is because he dropped it off at the body shop out of
    state, and it makes us an easy mark because there was no one to certify
    it was not a damaged vehicle. I'm sure it is mis-communication
    from the two branches, having different views on what constitutes a
    scratch they count and a scratch they don't count. I'm sure no
    scratches could turn up in credible picture, and none has been sent to
    me. My dad just thinks they want a blank check in the form of insurance info & credit card info, which they already have but I won't be providing again. They have so much business why do they insist on scamming when its all over the internet that that is how they make their money?

• Me
      13th of Aug, 2014

This is so uplifting because I'm bring scammed by Enterprise for an alleged damage that was impossible to even see or find on the car when I returned it to Centreviille, Va in Aug/2013 . I rented the car in Fairfax, VA and the agent was so persistent that I provide my insurance name and policy number that he made me call my husband in Fl (I didn't have the card on me) but my husband was at a gym and not near the car so just said it was Allstate which the agent noted on the paperwork. I asked him if this was a new policy as I've been renting cars for years from many different companies but lately mostly from Enterprise and have never been asked for this info. Agent said yes which was a lie as I rented from Enterprise two subsequent times and was never asked for that info. They were definitely trying to frame me for some sort of damage to the car that someone else caused at a car wash or by some other mechanical means. Enterprise even contacted my insurance company without my permission or even knowledge to file a claim. Pls help

• 20
      18th of Aug, 2014

Rented a car from enterprise last week, at night time, I could not get the SUV promised due to an oil change it needed so I was given the option of choosing another vehicle in their fleet. (3 vehicles). I ended up picking an SUV that appeared as if it had been dropped off few minutes earlier that night, it was still wet from the rainy stormy day. Attendant took a "quick" look, and off I went.. During my trip I made a quick stop and noticed the rear hatch was dented. Upon arrival at the drop-off location I let them know about it. They were surprised that in my rental agreement copy, another vehicle description was noted (the one i was supposed to get but needed service). Attendant failed to do his job and walk around the vehicle and he did not update the agreement with the actual rental information. I was given instructions on how to approach the matter, manager card, etc., and i was told to call in right away and speak to the location where i had picked up the car from. I checked in for my flight, sat outside and reported the incident. I explained everything and to check whoever rented the car before i did to see that the damage had been recorded. I was told they needed to find my contract and they would call me back in a few minutes. I waited a couple of hours and no one called. My wife just informed me that a letter from Enterprise has arrived at my home with a claim number. I have rented hundreds of cars in the past and have never damage a vehicle, not even my personal car snd I take double care when driving others cars. And on top of all the above, I noticed they had charged me twice as much in final bill. This is outrageous. I wont be back to the US for another two weeks and I cant seem to reach them by email. Last time I do business with Enterprise or National.

• Wj
      19th of Aug, 2014

I am in the process of disputing bogus damage charges from Enterprise right now. I rented a van from Enterprise. As I drove it home I noticed the steering wheel was off centered but figured it just needed an alignment. So we loaded it and started heading towards the beach and a light came on. I immediately called the Enterprise I rented the car from and he stated he had a office full of customers that he would call be right back. Well no call after 15 minutes so I called back again. He ask me to take to nearest Enterprise. I called them they said they didn't have a van go to next Enterprise. To make a long story short, they apologized for my trip interruption, gave me 20% off and reimbursed me for the fuel I spent filling up first van since new van was on empty. We go on vacation and I get back and they say I damaged their van. Said the control arm was bent. I explained to the guy I call and notified them something was wrong with car within two hours on having the car and I had hit anything. He stated I did. I ask him did anyone inspect under the vehicle before renting it to me and he said they didn't do that. I know they didn't because the guy was just vacuuming the van when I arrived. We walked around the van but I didn't think I needed to crawl under van and inspect.

Well they filed a claim and Progressive is saying I have to pay deductible. I plan on suing them because this type of practice is shameful. I reported the problem not caused the problem and now they are trying to hold me responsible. When they know they didn't check for damage from previous renter. If all I can do is small claims I will but will be speaking to a lawyer as well.

• Wy
      13th of Oct, 2014

Had to rent a car from Enterprise while my car was being repaired. First car I rented had low tire pressure after driving 10 miles on it. I returned the next day and got a different car. A week later the replacement car had two low tires. I just did the final return on the car and they are saying that while the car was with me it received hail damage. I have not left town and there have been no hail storms in the area since July. I have let me insurance know what is going on and if there is a claim falsely filed, I will take legal action. I will never rent from Enterprise again.