Enterprise / scam and fraud!

1 Poway, CA, United States

It was the morning after I had been hit by an uninsured motorist who ran a red light. My car was totaled and I was really shaken up. My insurance company instructed me to get a rental car but definitely NOT get their insurance, because my own insurance was coverage enough. I clearly relayed that information to the rental car agent, which he acknowledged, and I signed for the rental car. After a number of annoyances, including limited hours of operation on weekends and unclear abbreviations and verbiage for particular charges on the rental agreement, on the 10th day I returned the car, and all was good. Except that when I was given the receipt for the total amount charged, it included rental insurance at over $200! Of course, upon closer examination of the rental agreement, I saw that I had initialed every box the agent pointed to — including the small print that states in pale gray font "Accepts DW" and "Accepts PAI." Roughly translated that means "renter pays for unnecessary and expensive insurance." I have learned a valuable lesson: read the agreement thoroughly (but have a magnifying glass handy) and have the clerk explain every single charge before you walk out the door. Looking on the bright side, I guess I should be glad they didn't have a box saying "Accepts RFBMC" — relinquishment of first-born male child.

Md