Empire Today / billed wrong amount

I too, unfortunately, used this company to have laminate wood floors installed. I'm still not sure they installed the same product they showed as their sample, because the floor is a slightly darker color and doesn't have that 'hardwood' feel to it. However, my complaint about this company is that they quoted me $4100 for a large living room area. When I went to a competitor in town and got a cheaper quote, they agreed to lower their price, (not as low as the competitor's, but closer, as they insist they have superior products). Well, I went through the financing where you don't pay for a year. When I got my first bill from the finance company I saw that Empire submitted the first charge of $4100. I have called them 4 times over several weeks, sent letters, done everything to get the correct 'reduced' charge applied as my financed amount, and they have done absolutely nothing but ignore me. They constantly promise someone will call me back, and they never do. Their Illinois home office says the local office has to correct this, but then they say they cant give out the phone number for the local office- that all communication must go through the home office. Also- word to the wise... check the Better Business Bureau website... you'll be stunned at how many complaints Empire Today, LLC has on file. I wish I would have checked before I did business with them. WARNING... DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE, AT BEST, A SHADY COMPANY.

Comments

• Ro
      19th of Mar, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have looked into this complaint and unfortunately we were not able to access you though our system. We will be more than happy to discuss your concerns with you. Here is our toll free number that you can use for your concerns..... 800-588-2300 and ask to speak to one of our Resolution Team members of whom will be glad to assist you in any way possible. We look forward to speaking to you very soon. Have a great day.

• De
      28th of Jul, 2007

Wow never realized that i was not alone. Empire installed a shower stall in my home only after the salesman LIED to me about what products could be used in the shower. Yes to everything. Of course you don't get the warranty until after the install. After I read the warranty I called and told them what my sales man said. They sent an installer out to check the install. How can you fix a LIE? If i had known that I could not use certain products in my shower i would have retailed the shower myself. A year and a half later, i am still going round and round. They don't return calls, corporate does not respond to anything. The one customer service manager that did come to my home agreed that I had a legitimate gripe and was working toward me not being responsible for the bill. Guess what? He is no longer with the company. Beware and listen. You have been warned!

P.S. this is the extremely short version!!!

• Ke
      2nd of Jan, 2008

I agree with all the comments here. The sales people are sleazy, but not that smart. When he quoted me an absurd price I simply made up a number that I wanted to pay and tricked him into meeting my halfway. I got lucky; the install was perfect and the price I got then to charge me was decent (not great). Remember, the housing boom is done so the consumer can dictate the price due to the lack of demand for services.

• Ro
      24th of Mar, 2008

I checked out the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/) and in my area (92869) Empire has no complaints. I have read about how sleazy the Empire people are, then I read about how sleazy their customers are by tricking the sales person. I have sold copiers for twenty years. I never lie and I am always professional. I know the customers don't care that I have a family to feed. I show them the same courtesy they show me. If I can lower my price to a price to what they can afford, I decide whether they deserve it or not. I have made a six figure income for many years. If the customers are polite to me, I give them the best price available. I have come to realize the pain in the rear customers are more of a pain after they buy from me.