Emirates Airlines / terrible pr and customer relations

1 Kenya Review updated:

My name is salmaan irani and I reside in kisumu, kenya. We (Immediate family) are frequent flyers on emirates airlines, for many reasons mainly the baggage allowances and the dubai duty free. I was to fly to pakistan with my mother in march 2009 and purchased the ticket from a travel agent based here in kenya. Before the flight we confirmed with agent as well as on the emirates website regarding the checked baggage allowance which was confirmed to be 30kg per passenger.

We had an 18 our stopover in dubai at which emirates staff flatly refused us a hotel stay and only allowed one meal during this entire period, we landed in dubai at 5.35am on flight ek722 and were to depart on flight ek622 at 10.35pm to lahore, we were told that emirates only provides hotel or lounge access only on long haul flights, it later came to our attention that many flyers from pakistan and india are provided these facilities if requested. Why was our request denied? My mother is middle aged and suffers from asthma we had no place to rest or freshen up and were only provided with a voucher for one meal during this stop-over.

While in pakistan, we extended the date for the return flight the first time at the emirates office in multan and requested to purchase an moc (Or mco) for additional baggage which we were informed by other friends and relatives who have used this facility to purchase additional baggage allowances at us$2 per kg and that this can be done at any emirates office, apparently no one in emirates pakistan had ever heard of this facility.

Anyways, we paid the us$50 charges and were issued with the receipt by the staff at emirates multan office, during this period I got engaged to be married and had to change the date again, I was informed by a staff at the emirates call centre in karachi that I can miss the flight and when I go confirm the next date I can pay the us$50 charge then. Which I did.

Initially the return flight was from lahore to dubai but we were informed that all flights were fully booked ("it is not possible to get any seat from lahore"). We were then forced to get a local flight to karachi and fly to dubai from there at a later date (20th april2009)

This date change was done by the travel agent in kenya and the us$50 (Per passenger) charge paid by him as emirates will not effect the date change until the payment has been received. We were informedby the agent and the e-tickets were issued (I have the ticket numbers if anyone needs to confirm this).

Please note that on the flight to lahore our checked baggage total was 58kg for 2 passengers and we had no problems regarding the baggage allowance.

On arrival in karachi for the return flight to kenya (I was already married and was travelling with my spouse and mother) is where all the problems started.

At the check-in for this flight our bags were weighed and were found to be 95 kg in total. At a 30 kg allowance we were prepared to pay for the extra 5 kg. This was not to be as first the lady at the counter said our allowance is only 20kg per passenger leaving us with an extra of 35kg but they will give a relief of 20kg thus making us pay for the remaining 15kg.

We tried to make it clear to the lady at the check-in counter that according to the emirates website the allowance is 30kg. We then asked for the supervisor, a lady who turned out to be even more arrogant and thick headed, for she first reprimanded the lady at the counter for giving a "relief" of 20kg. We then asked the supervisor to see the information on the emirates website that we accessed from a nearby internet booth, to which she flatly refused saying it is a waste of her time and moreover what ever is shown on the website comes into effect after 4th may 2009 (If this was the case then on the outward flight from kenya to lahore we had no such problems) please note all this is happening about 40min before departure time (It basically took us over 2 hours 30 min to check in) all this time trying to talk to the most arrogant batch of airport personnel who were not prepared to listen to us even though by then the check in counters were almost empty.

Finally, we had to pay pakistani rupees 30, 200 at the check in for which a receipt was issued. After this at the immigration counter one emirates official comes up and says that we have to pay the us$100 for two tickets change of date, he said that the "system does not reflect any payment made" please note this is happening at the immigration counter. He then takes us$100 from me and says he will have the receipt issued at the boarding gate as the flight was getting delayed. This was not done and no receipt was issued.

It is here in kenya after our arrival that we asked the travel agent and he informed us that the us$100 had been paid when the date change was effected.

This was an extremely terrible experience and the arrogance and lack of understanding has left a terrible taste in our mouth on the services offered by this airline.

One of our relatives is now using another airline and we are thinking about doing the same.

My questions are as follows:

1). Why were we only allowed one meal in 18 hours during the stop over?
2). Why are pakistani staff so ill informed regarding the services offered about the airline they are working for?
3). How can the airline condone the harassment received by passengers at the karachi airport?
4). No where on the website is it mentioned that the baggage allowance shown is valid after 4th may 2009. (In baggage allowance calculator section).
5). What about the additional charge of us$100 paid to the airline staff at karachi airport for which no receipt was issued. Please note we were informed that we will not be allowed to board the plane if the us$100 is not paid.

I would appreciate to receive some feedback from emirates regarding the above and would like to hear from some one at emirates.

Ps. We are both skywards members and the supervisor at the emirates counter in karachi even refused us from purchasing skywards miles she said in verbatim "go to the emirates office and ask them"

Comments

• Dy
      1st of Feb, 2010

Emirates does not really care about customer issues, they only care about generating sales. Let 's warn other people to stay away from Emirates.
    join us at facebook group "Emirates Airline-poor customer service"

• He
      1st of Jan, 2011

It is horrible AIRLINES. It has very very poor customer service.