eHarmony / deceptive advertising and sneaky tactics

1 CA, United States Review updated:

This company is very sneaky and deceptive. They are promoting on TV a "Free Communication Event" and further tout that "absolutely no credit card required". See the screenshot I have attached from their website.

As soon as you spend the hour or two to set up a profile (and yes it takes at least and hour and a half) you learn that you really CAN'T freely communicate with anyone, nor can you even see any pictures. What half intelligent person is going to spend even more time filling out forms and questionnaires to "communicate" with someone they have NEVER seen? What a joke. The first thing people using online dating sites do is look at the other person's picture right? Not second. It's first and foremost. But they are touting free communication - just to people you can't see! And you can't email anyone. All you can do is answer prescribed questions. How is that free communication?

Also if someone else (say a current paying member - who CAN see the pictures that you posted of yourself) sends you a message, you can't even see them! AND you can't email them. You can only answer system generated questions. And who has the time to respond to questions to faceless people?

And worse this is an injustice to your paying members who are emailing people like me and will never get a response because 1) I can't email them, and 2) I have no idea what they look like. And F-Y-I eHarmony: looks DO matter. So this is how they treat your current paying members. Members who pay way more than any other online dating service? Whow sign me up! I can't wait to pay a company who treats their paying members like that!

eHarmony is a very deceptive organization and they should be ashamed of their company. That is VERY VERY sneaky and slimy. I guess they are betting on the hope that people will pay for their service without getting their truly free trial because of the time investment they just spent. eHarmony you should be embarrassed for yourself. This isn't even close to ethical.

I would not patronize this deceptive and unethical company if it were free. They are just not good people running this organization. Let everyone you know be aware of this company and their deceptive ways. They need to find out the hard way it isn't cool to screw people over.

eHarmony

Ej

Comments

• Ba
      5th of Dec, 2010

Well, look at the creepy guy who represents them in commercials--that itself turned me off. Glad I never wasted my time with that site. I am sorry that other people got screwed over by them--they should be very ashamed, but I'm sure they're not.

• Ri
      24th of Jul, 2015

They've been sleazy forever, seeding matches with people who are incredibly attractive to get you to sign up, who then mysteriously disappear. Amazingly convenient timing of new match emails that happen like clockwork. Offers that appear in emails that then aren't really available. The whole structure is stupid. Making people take forever going through a bunch of questions that could be better handled in person, like a (shock) human being would do. And they're far more expensive with less results. Match does a better job.