Dollar General / check being declined

1 Colonial Beach, VA, United States Review updated:

Dear Sir/Madam:
I shop at your store almost daily. I enjoy the cleanliness and the politeness of the associates there. We live in a small town and it's nice to go where you feel very welcomed. However, yesterday that seemed to go out the window. I wrote a check which I never do, but decided I could and move money over in my accounts if I went over. My check was declined. The associate at the register tried her best to get it through. The manager Udi came up and said there's nothing they could do. Its policy if a check is declined they are not allowed to take it. I understand that. I was not offered a number to call or a reason as to why it said to decline my check. During the checkout I requested 4 packs of cigarettes, Ally put them in the bag. While I was waiting for her to come back from talking to Udi, I put the cigarettes in my little bag. (purse). Not thinking about but knowing I was going to light one as soon as I got out of there. After speaking with Udi, I pushed my cart out of the way for other customers that was behind me. I started to reshop the items in my cart. Udi immediately came over and started searching for the cigarettes. I had forgotten that I put them in my bag. After remembering where they were about 2 seconds later. I said oh here they are and I started to give them to Udi, however she was so worried that I wasn't going to giver her back the cigarettes. She had her head almost stuck in my bag. I felt very embarrassed already and also as though I was a thief. I have never stole anything and would not. Udi often corrects her associates very loudly and with a nasty attitude in front of her customers. After I left, my husband went back up to get our cigarettes and Udi is aware of my husband and that he is my husband. While every other associate greeted him, he said she made him feel as though she would prefer he not come there. She never said hello which she does usually. I am very upset that I was made to be embarrassed by this and that I wasn't offered a phone number to call to find out why the check was declined. I also found out that I was the "talk of the store" even watching the video of me getting declined. Now please put yourself in our shoes. We (my husband and I) are very dedicated when we find someplace we like. We enjoyed your store, however, I do not need yo visit a store that made me feel as though I was a thief and made to feel unwelcomed. I contacted the check service and they declined my due to lack of information. I hardly ever write them and had Udi had given me a number I could have had my merchandise and all would have been fine. I do not know if your policy is to not give out reason or phone number. I think it should be. But that's my opinion. I hate to be that person that complains, but I left that store very upset. I do not know if we will continue to shop at your store. However we probably will or at least I will not shop in the store on Kings Hwy in Colonial Beach. I do not need to be that girl that wrote a bad check.
I hope tho made some since to you as I am still upset especially after finding out they looked at the camera to see the whole thing again. I will mot be prosecuted by a Manager that does not go out of her way for customer service. I was always told treat as you would like to be treated. And customer service is top priority in retail. I know because I ran a store for eight years prior to retiring.
Thank you for your ear.
Becky Richardson

Be
Jul 16, 2018

Comments

17th of Jul, 2018

Well, your check declined and you almost stole. There’s a line.

• Om
      17th of Jul, 2018

I'm surprised places still take cheques. It sounds like you had intended to kite said cheque since you said if the money wasn't there you could move it around later. That's illegal.

You pocketed the cigarettes without paying. They have every right to be upset about that. You claim to have forgotten - but it doesn't matter. You had unpaid merchandise that you removed from the shopping bags and placed into your purse.