Dish Network / repeated unauthorized charges

About six months ago, my son and daughter-in-law discovered they had unauthorized PPV charges (adult movies) on their statement. This had happened several months in a row and weren't noticed because the bill was received and paid electronically (lesson learned -- always check your statement/charges). Anyway, they called DISH customer service and told them they didn't purchase the movies and was told that they HAD to have made the purchases. My dau-in-law told them over and over that the charges were on dates/times that they weren't even home and on one occasion they were even out of town! After going through several customer service reps and their supervisors they finally agreed to remove "some" of the charges but would not give them credit for all of them. DISH reps advised my dau-in-law to set up a code so this could not happen again. Since that time, my dau-in-law has set up a code so that ANY PPV movie purchased would have to have the code entered. Well, now another PPV charge has appeared on her bill and SHE is the only one that knows the code; even my son doesn't know it! So, she called them again, explaining what happened, and they told her that because she had set-up the code she "agreed to not dispute any charges". WHAT??!! Needless to say she was very upset. She talked to the reps supervisor and bottom line is they basically called my dau-in-law a liar.

Something MUST be done about all of the unauthorized charges that are appearing on customers' statements. This is wrong!! And when you call to complain and/or try to get something straightened out you are treated horribly; nobody deserves to be treated that way.....especially when they are purchasing services from the company. Whatever happened to "customer service"?

A  14th of Dec, 2006 by
The exact same thing described above just happened to me. It was maddening and I had a horrible experience with DISH reps and supervisors. They basically wouldn't believe me that I hadn't authorized the charges. They said that since they were called in from the phone they HAD to have been made by me. But I didn't do so and I live alone. I don't like being called a liar and a thief by company reps that find it impossible to admit the possibility of a billing error on their part or a hacker billing things to my account.
N  22nd of Jan, 2007 by
Where do I go from here? I have a $600 charge to my debit card, I called Dish and got the run-around, I called my bank and got the there's not much we can do for you. In the mean time, I have NSF's all over town. Now, Dish told me that if I had their service turned back on that I would receive a refund minus the service reconnect. All the while, I'm getting NSF's in my bank account. I finally received the refund several days later (after threatening to call a lawyer), but I still have all the NSF's. What now? No, I did not have auto-pay. How can they just go into your account and withdraw funds without your permission.
A  29th of Oct, 2007 by
I had a PPV channel come up before I even decided to purchase it I called right away and asked the representative to lookup that PPV and he stated that he could not even see the charges on there and that he would make a note that it would not be charged but of course it was. So when I called to have it removed they gave me the runaround I even spoke to a supervisor who said that they could not remove any PPV charges due to corporate policy and I had to write or email there was no # OF COURSE now I want to cancel and switch to Direct TV.
N  4th of Dec, 2007 by
i ordered dish and the rep i got took the fees out to soon and caused my bank account to be overdrawn and he was to call back last night and tonight but i had to hunt him down and told him to refund all charges plus the overdraft fees because he did not listen i think a lawsuit should be estblished against them for the stuff they do they do not do very good reps at all
A  26th of Jun, 2008 by
I have recently had the same problem with dish network. I called them after I received my first bill on the Internet. I notice that there was a lot of charges for adult movies that I know we couldn’t have ordered, because the lady who I called to talk to about my dish going out about a week after I had it said that I should place locks if I have kids. She helped me do that and I only placed them on their TV because they only watch our TV for family nights. Well I called in to let them know if they could check into it and I was informed that someone had to have ordered them and nothing could be done but pay for the PPV ordered. I explained to her that I never had that issue with DirecTV when I was with them for almost 10yrs and I also never ordered ppv. She told me that someone had to have ordered it. I explained to her that I wanted to cancel my service after only having it for one month and she said well you will have to pay a disconnection fee and/or early termination fee for leaving the contract early. I advised her that I didn’t care and I would look into getting a lawyer because of the fraudulent mess going on. I have a Christian household and my husband and me have never ever ordered ppv, certainly not adult ppv. They told me that I had to have my phone line connected or they would charge me 5 dollars a month and now I know why they want you to have it added so these outrageous charges could continue. If I find one more charge after I have called them Monday then I will get a lawyer because I advised them that absolutely no one could order any movies with our remotes and anyone trying too would have to call in with my set pin to do so. My husband don’t even know that pin so in the future there shouldn’t be any more charges and if so I will be writing again and getting a lawyer. Something needs to be done for services that scam people like this. They are no more that thieves and they are being protected.

DISH Network / DISH.com Logo DISH Network / DISH.com