Direct TV / installation nightmare

Ordered direct tv on wednesday and was told installation would occur on saturday. Surprised by such a quick installation I asked them not to tell that they would be here and waste my day make it easy on yourself I told them but do not tell me anything they could not do.

They did not show up!!! They did not call!!! For a 12-4 installation they called at 1930 and said there weren't coming due to an emergency. They begged for a new installation date the next day sunday. I finally agreed after warning them several times that I wasted one day on them and was not going to waste another.

You guessed it they did not show sunday either. They did call and lied to me about a technical problem with my equipment. After waiting to speak to a supervisor for 13.45 minutes they hung up on me. I called back and they said all supers were in the field. I said tell me what the technical problem was: her response was "we are locked out of our warehouse and cannot get the supplies". I said a problem with the door or the installer does not have a key. She said the installers do not have keys. So they don't trust him in their warehouse but want to send him to my house.

Called dish network...

Va

Comments

• Er
      7th of Feb, 2009

DirectTV uses sub-contractors to do the installation work, and you really are in for a crap-shoot when they send one out to your house. If the guy's pretty knowledgeable, you can get a decent install. But I've seen some guys who couldn't even get the dish lined up correctly, then said a brand new house had out of date, obsolete cabling when it was a brand new home. Even with guys who do know how to install a system, these subcontractor guys will find every way possible to make a "free" basic installation impossible. I.E. attaching the dish to a pole outside the home, crawling under the house to run the cabling (which usually has to be done if its a DVR), or things like that. They are subcontractors - not DirectTV employees. Oh... And if you DO get an issue with the installer tech, call DirectTV with the guy there. Often times, he'll have the special customer service hotline for technicians already dialed up, and if the tech is trying to take advantage of you, a certain perverse pleasure can be found in talking to DirectTV with him right there, knowing he's getting busted and will probably be losing his contract. After three moves with DirectTV, I've learned what I need to do and not do to get my equipment installed free. Just make sure you do your homework in advance! For example, if you are making use of the "movers connection, " talk to the Customer Service rep and get a point by point description of exactly what the "free basic installation" does and does not include. Ask questions of the Customer Service folks at DirectTV - many times they're pretty open and forthcoming about things. Especially - and I can't stress this enough - if you are polite and patient with the guys on the phone at DirectTV! They're not the ones who are doing you wrong, the subcontractor is.