Direct TV / refer a friend

Direct tv is the worst company out there when it comes to customer service! Bar none!

So, my mother used my account number to sign up as a new customer and get the refer a friend promo. You've seen the commercials, right? Refer a friend get $100. Well, she was told she needed to make a deposit before anything was even approved. She did. Then when no one had contacted her for weeks she called them to see what was going on. They told her that my account was in collections and that her deposit was being applied to my bill. They weren't even going to tell her!

First of all, my account was never even disconnected. I may have been a few days late on payment as I am often busy and forget to pay this particular bill. But I always do pay it in the end and have never seen any sort of collections notice or anything like that and at this time I still had uninterrupted service.

Secondly, since when is your mother liable for your bills? Spouse? Okay... But a parent? What the heck??? I am in my thirties and own my own home why would she be responsible for my bill?

Thirdly, what about confidentiality? As a service provider aren't they being held accountable for violating people's rights? Just curious. Guess when you give a friend your account number they get all your personal info over the phone via customer service rep?

They refused to give her deposit back. So my pissed off and panicked mother called me and scolded me. So I paid it right away. Then they finally (After much hassling) gave her the deposit back. How embarrassing and horrible! All this just to get $100 applied to your bill over a ten month period! $10 a month off your bill? What a waste of time! I hate them so much! You should have seen the e-mail I got when I complained!!! Ahhhhh!!!
When I first signed up with them years and years ago they were supposed to give me a rebate. It took no less than two years, numerous letters threatening legal action and a few visits to the better business bureau before I finally got it. I searched online and thousands of other people never got it at all. Do not give these scam artists your business! They have no respect for their customer's satisfaction or for their privacy.
Plese tell your friends!

Comments

• 4n
      8th of Dec, 2010

I've been a Direct TV customer for years, as have my parents, and most of my friends...never had any form of problem with their customer service. Any issue I've had with the product itself has been resolved quickly and efficiently.

Oh right, but I pay all my bills on time, don't harass company employees unless they are willfully mishandling a situation, and I read the terms of any offers I decide to take...if you look at that promotion, it says pretty clearly that if your account is late or in collection, any payment or deposit made by the person with your account number will be credited to that account. As it is, afterall, coming through your ACCOUNT NUMBER.

• Tu
      18th of Feb, 2011

It is really mess up that they take your mom's money! It is absurd that she need to deposit to open her own account. It makes no sense that they can take her money. So, if a friend refer me and gave me his number. If I called to sign up for Directtv, I would be liable for my friend's account. In any case, the referral program works fine for people with no outstanding balance and have choice package or better. Here is my account number 050192881 and my name is Tuan in case anyone need a referral.